• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

A little over a month until I leave now and I couldn't be more excited! I'm doing a bit of travel through Austin, New Orleans, Miami, Nashville and Washington DC before settling either in LA or NYC. I haven't been to any of those cities yet so I'm looking forward to exploring my new home some more. :D

I think it's one of those cities you either love or loathe, but I think LA is incredible. There's literally something for everyone and I found it pretty similar to Sydney. My favourite neighbourhood is Silver Lake/Echo Park- heaps of cool bars and restaurants, good shopping, etc... and pretty close(ish) to the hills. It's a trek to the beach though. If you need somewhere to stay when you land in LA I can recommend two Airbnb places that are awesome. :)

Enjoy your travel and good luck with your move :)

I think it's one of those cities you either love or loathe, but I think LA is incredible. There's literally something for everyone and I found it pretty similar to Sydney. My favourite neighbourhood is Silver Lake/Echo Park- heaps of cool bars and restaurants, good shopping, etc... and pretty close(ish) to the hills. It's a trek to the beach though. If you need somewhere to stay when you land in LA I can recommend two Airbnb places that are awesome. :)

Enjoy your travel and good luck with your move :)

Thanks so much! I've got a friend in LA who I'm staying with for my first week in the US before doing some travels. :) LA is a terrific place to live, but it can be a shitty place to be a tourist because everything is so spread out and very difficult to navigate without a car. Most people who are only there for a few days don't seem to like it, but I spent six weeks there a few years ago and absolutely loved my time there. :)

Quick question, if you have changed your name due to marriage many years ago, do you have to get a name change certificate from registry or is marriage certificate (from registry) all you need? Thanks :)
Got our 2NL for March so it is all systems go :)

A birth certificate should be fine, so long as it lists on the back all changes to the certificate. You will also need your marriage certificate from the registry (i.e. not the fancy one you sign on the day).

So I thought I'd check, with my interview, I have it this coming Tuesday, the 2nd. I didn't get any email or anything asking to confirm I'm going to be attending, but I was asked when I got my paperwork to send original and photocopies of all my documents. Sending those would count as confirming I'm attending the interview right?

I sent everything a few weeks ago and just got a letter confirming my criminal record results, which the consulate had to submit in order to get my record, so I know they've received all my documents but still thought I'd check. Thanks :)

Hi there - Just a quick, and probably blonde, question. Do I need to go and apply for my social security number when I arrive in the U.S? Or does it automatically get sent to my nominated address once I activate my visa by entry in the country?
Thank you!

Hi guys,

How difficult is to apply for a re-entry permit? I do want to move to the US but not until 3 years at least as I just got a good job offer.... my idea is to apply for a re-entry permit next year so I buy two more years before moving to the US but not sure I need a good/valid reason for the re-entry permit. I don't want to put in danger my green card....

Any thoughts??

Many thanks

Hi guys,

How difficult is to apply for a re-entry permit? I do want to move to the US but not until 3 years at least as I just got a good job offer.... my idea is to apply for a re-entry permit next year so I buy two more years before moving to the US but not sure I need a good/valid reason for the re-entry permit. I don't want to put in danger my green card....

Any thoughts??

Many thanks

Re-entry permits are sometimes refused. In any case you need to be in the USA to apply for one - so that will limit your absence to 2 years assuming you are granted the re-entry permit.

Have you considered the job market in the USA - you may find your job offer could be matched inside the USA - because now you are comparing the "good job offer" to those that you are currently used to.

Thanks for the info, I read you must apply from the USA but can leave before the decision is made and if successful you can get the permit sent to the embassy. It's a good offer that is why I'm thinking this possible scenario, because it is a US company it would make easy to ask for a transfer after a few years so you can land in the US with a job already.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, I read you must apply from the USA but can leave before the decision is made and if successful you can get the permit sent to the embassy. It's a good offer that is why I'm thinking this possible scenario, because it is a US company it would make easy to ask for a transfer after a few years so you can land in the US with a job already.

Cheers

Yes you can apply in the US then leave before but it's finalized but inbetween you need to be there a few weeks at least for the form to get processed and an appointment to be scheduled for your biometric information to be captured. It's only after that that you can leave. Some offices apparently take a few weeks for this and others may take a few months at certain times.

You also need to be aware that a re-entry permit is not a guarantee that you will be allowed back in. Also remember you will need to be filing taxes with the IRS the whole time as well.

May I also just make an observation, for a job you haven't even accepted yet you seem curiously sure about what kind of timeline is required to do what you want to do ....

thanks for the thoughts....

I don't want to jeopardize my move to the US, thus it seems like a really bad idea to go for the permit...

Three years in the job would get me where I want, the plan was:
1) Activate in Sep (this year)
2) Flight in Jul (next year) and apply for the permit to get the extra 2 years

But I'm really concern that immigration wont like it and I could lose the green card. That is why I wanted to get some feedback here...

Many thanks

In regards to paying the fees at the consulate, do they have credit card/eftpos facilities or is it better to take cash? With four of us I would prefer to pay via card when we are there so we are not carrying cash, but worried that the machines won't work or something! How has everyone that has been recently paid?

In regards to paying the fees at the consulate, do they have credit card/eftpos facilities or is it better to take cash? With four of us I would prefer to pay via card when we are there so we are not carrying cash, but worried that the machines won't work or something! How has everyone that has been recently paid?

I'm not sure how it is in Australia, but I had my interview in Auckland, New Zealand yesterday and we had to pay in either cash, or cashier/bank checks. They didn't have any machines or anything like that for card transactions.

I'm not sure how it is in Australia, but I had my interview in Auckland, New Zealand yesterday and we had to pay in either cash, or cashier/bank checks. They didn't have any machines or anything like that for card transactions.

Definitely consulate dependent then, most of them have card machines.

Does the consulate website not specify? Absent that, wait for a helpful Sydney alum to chip in...

There we go, quick google search, seems Sydney takes just about most forms of payment other than USD postal orders...

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/mobile/iv-fees.html
Thanks SusieQQQ, I thought I had read that but was wondering if this was still the case for the recent interviewees. I vaguely remembered reading awhile back that the card machine was out of order and people were madly have to try and go get cash! I was hoping their machines have been working lately :)