• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

The first pages you should have read in full that would avoid disqualification are the rules for entry to DV. Then once you have been selected, on the selection letter it links you to the dvselectee web pages. All you need to do is follow the link on your 1NL, and read all the pages thoroughly, including the country specific ones.

There are no hidden links and everything is available to those who read (1) the rules on the entry form and (2) the link from their selection letter. If you entered the lottery you had the link to the first, if you won you had the links to the second.

Edit: as I typed that I realised people who entered via agents would probably not have had the agents tell them the rules or where to find them. This is not KCC's fault thoiugh.
I entered the lottery myself and when I got selected, I followed the link on the 1NL to dvselectee.state.gov I read thoroughly every page but never saw anything like " interview dates could be checked from the esc or ds260 cld be unlocked" or anything that alludes to this. So one would have to call/email kcc to find out this but it's not stated on any of their relevant websites. It's only when KCC schedules an interview that the 1st notification page changes from 'selectee' to 'interview appointment' page through email notification and unfortunately for some, their email either gets delayed or "probably never arrives" only for them to check the esc later and realise that the page has changed without their knowledge. Meanwhile kcc categorically states that 2NL would come by email notification (on the 1NL). Now every web page u open comes with a specific link to that particular page (am not refering to a link to a website but a page- so yes there are links to every page in a website). I appreciate and respect your view though, thanks.

Last edited:
They have to pay for the medicals but i think the price might vary small. when İ called to find out the price of the medical, İ was asked if İ' less than 16yrs. That means there is a different price for children. the best is to call them and find out. either akai or holy trinity

what are the different types of medicals one has to do for an adult and a child? can you name them and how long they will take?

thanks a lot for your good work. we entered as family in and won. at the time of our entry, my son was barely 3months old and the name given to him by his grandfather was John Quayson II. because his grandfather’s name was John Quayson. we entered with this name: John Quayson II but when we were going to register him for his Birth Certificate we were not allowed to add the (II) to his name and we were told there is a new biometric rules which does not allow the use of the (II) on the Ghanaian birth certificate and the passport so we did his birth certificate and passport without the (II). so now his name on his birth certificate and passport is now John Quayson and not John Quayson II which we used to enter the lottery. so what do we do now? can this affect our chance? meanwhile, his weigh cards and hospital cards and naming certificate from his church all bares the name John Quayson II. ADVICE US PLEASE

I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RAISE SOME MONEY FOR THE VISA INTERVIEW FOR A FAMILY OF FOUR BUT LEFT WITH THE MEDICALS. CAN I GO FOR THE INTERVIEW AND DO THE MEDICALS LATER? MY INTERVIEW DATE IS 11TH MAY. WILL THIS AFFECT MY CHANCE?

I entered the lottery myself and when I got selected, I followed the link on the 1NL to dvselectee.state.gov I read thoroughly every page but never saw anything like " interview dates could be checked from the esc or ds260 cld be unlocked" or anything that alludes to this. So one would have to call/email kcc to find out this but it's not stated on any of their relevant websites. It's only when KCC schedules an interview that the 1st notification page changes from 'selectee' to 'interview appointment' page through email notification and unfortunately for some, their email either gets delayed or "probably never arrives" only for them to check the esc later and realise that the page has changed without their knowledge. Meanwhile kcc categorically states that 2NL would come by email notification (on the 1NL). Now every web page u open comes with a specific link to that particular page (am not refering to a link to a website but a page- so yes there are links to every page in a website). I appreciate and respect your view though, thanks.

I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RAISE SOME MONEY FOR THE VISA INTERVIEW FOR A FAMILY OF FOUR BUT LEFT WITH THE MEDICALS. CAN I GO FOR THE INTERVIEW AND DO THE MEDICALS LATER? MY INTERVIEW DATE IS 11TH MAY. WILL THIS AFFECT MY CHANCE?
@stigaman...i can imagine ur plight but please pull all strings possible to get funds for the medicals because it is a requirement for the interview. And I believe your visa will be approved so dont let this opportunity pass u.

thanks a lot for your good work. we entered as family in and won. at the time of our entry, my son was barely 3months old and the name given to him by his grandfather was John Quayson II. because his grandfather’s name was John Quayson. we entered with this name: John Quayson II but when we were going to register him for his Birth Certificate we were not allowed to add the (II) to his name and we were told there is a new biometric rules which does not allow the use of the (II) on the Ghanaian birth certificate and the passport so we did his birth certificate and passport without the (II). so now his name on his birth certificate and passport is now John Quayson and not John Quayson II which we used to enter the lottery. so what do we do now? can this affect our chance? meanwhile, his weigh cards and hospital cards and naming certificate from his church all bares the name John Quayson II. ADVICE US PLEASE
Not a problem. Your son is a beneficiary and thus would be entitled to a derivative dv visa. Once your wife, the principal applicant is granted a visa, the rest will follow suite- provided the required, genuine documents are submitted. Your son cannot be refused a visa on the basis of "II" discrepancy.

Let me repeat a couple of things. Yes, it's true the sites do not mention that you can unlock the DS260. That's because in any circumstance other than a new family member, it is not necessary. If you have a new baby or spouse or whatever then you contact them and they tell you they will unlock it.

I looked at the dvselectee pages. It does indeed tell you that the interview notification will be on the esc page. Maybe you didn't read it properly. (It does say they will send a email, but very clearly also states that the email only tells you to log in to the esc page with your original number to get the interview information. So it is pretty obvious you don't need the email. And if you provided the correct email to KCC in the entry form you will get the email, or is it their fault people change email addresses or don't regularly check junk mail folders, because many legitimate emails end up in them? ) It also tells you about the visa bulletin. Along with very many other things you need to know. These pages all come from the link on the 1NL.

I really don't know what you people expect. You (not you personally - some people on the site) complain that KCC doesn't give you all the info, but then apparently can't be bothered to read through all the info on the links, which tell you how to double check that you are eligible (and that you will be disqualified if you aren't), how you know when you get current, and all the steps and documents needed for the interview. I don't really understand what more people want when after all this they say KCC is not doing their job or even hiding things. What do you expect, that they call every applicant and read out to them all the steps listed on the website?

Last edited:
Yes you can do the medicals later but like some of us advised, it's better you do it before the interview to avoid AP. Not having it will not cause a visa refusal though. The CO will give you, normally a short timespan within which to produce the medical report- upon which, in your case, a final decision would be taken.

If you go to the interview without the medicals, you will surely be put on AP and asked to produce them in about a month's time.
My question is will you be able to raise the money for the medicals of the 4 of you by that time? If yes then I think you can do it like that.
But if not (THIS IS MY OPINION), then I suggest you drop the kids and use their money to do the medicals for your wife (principal applicant) and you. I know leaving your kids in the hands of their grandma will not sound good in your ears but you surely dont want to loose this chance to.

i agree with Thowa, can you get the money within a month after your interview assuming you are told to return in a month later? think about the education of the kids too since Children need to be five to start kindergarten, how old are your kids? for a family of four, u might need to look for your own apartment when you arrive since your host might be living in a small room/apartment, can you raise enough money for your first three months? Please think through your decision as to whether to go with the kids or leave then behind for now.

Last edited:
what are the different types of medicals one has to do for an adult and a child? can you name them and how long they will take?
Your kids will do a tuberklin test which is about effectiveness of the TB vaccination that they had when they were born.
They will also be vaccinated- about five or six jabs depending on earlier vaccination record, do carry all of them.
You, your spouse and any adult kid will do chest xrays for TB, then blood test for syphilis and optional HIV test.
You will also be vaccinated, say about four jabs so if you freak jabs like I do, be ware there is no escape!
The tuberklin tests need 72 hours.
best of luck.