• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Hi rolex123, is the statement should be for one year? I thought it's for 3 month. Any ways it's from my saving. And hope they will consider where you are working too.
You are right @yohanmar. They will take in to account your previous work experiences. They are asking for financial proof when they think you don't have something to support yourself when you go to US. I think that is why many guys are not asked for it (as reported on this thread)

Ok. But I don't have any personal asset. I was not good at saving before, am so thankful for DV 2015 I learn how to save and its value. Hope they will consider my organization.
Yes yohanmar. They will take in to account your organization and how long you have worked.
But who can be sure they won't ask you? I know no one in this thread reported that financial proof is asked. But You know it's good to avoid reasons for AP in any case.

Yes yohanmar. They will take in to account your organization and how long you have worked.
But who can be sure they won't ask you? I know no one in this thread reported that financial proof is asked. But You know it's good to avoid reasons for AP in any case.
Ok God-Is-Love you are right. I will try to increase my saving. Thanks so much.

Today I went to National Educational Assesment and Examination Agency (Near 5 Kilo) to ask about correction of name spelling. They told me to apply for it with copy of the certificate, copy of ID card and also if you have grade 10, its copy of not grade copy of grade 8. The person I found in the office showed me a lot of application that for a spelling change. He told me there will be a committee who will decide on the applications. I hope they will tell me soon. I gave my phone number and I got theirs. So, if you want to try it apply for it. I think they will solve it soon.

my child has 3.7 yrs old and she has taken all the vaccines.will she take the vaccines given by the medical centers again?

When I finalize my documents and checking everything with my Ds 260 form I noticed that the dates on my transcripts (grade 9+10; 11+12) have differences with my Ds 260 form
there is almost a month difference on the date of leaving the school.
What shall I do?
Am so worried

When I finalize my documents and checking everything with my Ds 260 form I noticed that the dates on my transcripts (grade 9+10; 11+12) have differences with my Ds 260 form
there is almost a month difference on the date of leaving the school.
What shall I do?
Am so worried

I don't think that's material. I had differences on things like that as I couldn't remember all the details when I filled in my forms. The important thing is that you have the education, a month's difference in when you officially finished is not going to be a problem.

10 k $ for a single person and 25 for a family of 3 to 4
10 k $ for a single person and 25 for a family of 3 to 4
Hi God-Is-Love, thanks yes I did like that, I tried to save 65% to date. With the help of God I will reach 85%. is it a must to fill 10K ?
Who said the 10$k ad the minimum for a single immigrant? I think even 7$k would do , just be sure to prove that it is yours and that you are continuing to save.That in my view is OK.

Who said the 10$k ad the minimum for a single immigrant? I think even 7$k would do , just be sure to prove that it is yours and that you are continuing to save.That in my view is OK.

The 10k is an often quoted amount. In reality it is based on the federal poverty guidelines, which actu ally have the minimum amount as over 11.5k.

So, you might get away with 7k, but it is not a sure thing.

By the way, 7k will quickly get used in the USA, so you are right to recommend continued saving.

The 10k is an often quoted amount. In reality it is based on the federal poverty guidelines, which actu ally have the minimum amount as over 11.5k.

So, you might get away with 7k, but it is not a sure thing.

By the way, 7k will quickly get used in the USA, so you are right to recommend continued saving.
I know the difficulty an above average salaried person in sub sahara goes through trying to grow his/savings account. If one can demonstrate a a good attempt at doing this to the extent of 7k, a considerate co might figure out that in the next few months, one will have hit the 10k target.
True, B.Simon in real sense, even 10k is not much money- you can feel a family of 5 trying this move, even when the savings are there, wont they be blown up like gas in a racing machine?:confused:

I know the difficulty an above average salaried person in sub sahara goes through trying to grow his/savings account. If one can demonstrate a a good attempt at doing this to the extent of 7k, a considerate co might figure out that in the next few months, one will have hit the 10k target.
True, B.Simon in real sense, even 10k is not much money- you can feel a family of 5 trying this move, even when the savings are there, wont they be blown up like gas in a racing machine?:confused:

The guidance specifically states that COs, cannot use forward projections (what if) scenarios to negatively impact a case. However, they are allowed to rake a number of factors into account, and there is no doubt that a lot of immigrants would not be getting the visas if they were strictly adhering to the rules in every case. However what we try and explain here is to go in to the interview as prepared as possible to avoid denials and AP .

As for the family of 5, they would need help on the US side unless they have plenty of savings.

The guidance specifically states that COs, cannot use forward projections (what if) scenarios to negatively impact a case. However, they are allowed to rake a number of factors into account, and there is no doubt that a lot of immigrants would not be getting the visas if they were strictly adhering to the rules in every case. However what we try and explain here is to go in to the interview as prepared as possible to avoid denials and AP .

As for the family of 5, they would need help on the US side unless they have plenty of savings.

No contest about that, i am just lamenting about how financially trying it is .I was trying to suggest that indeed at times co's become reasonably lenient else many people would never get the dv visas. Family and Friends in Nairobi often get involved in fundraisers and this is a veteran speaking. There are sad cases out there where finances are simply knock out situation for winners o_O

I have been comparing cost of living between Nairobi and a few cities in the southern and eastern states and the it seems that living in those cities cost more by a fcactor of about 1.6. The comparison is based on Numbeo website.( e.g someone sustaining an average standard of living for 1000 euro per month would need 1670 to lead the same life in Austin-TX??)
Some of the families i have seen emigrating from Nairobi do it in bits, usually the husband leads while the spouse and children follow a few months later.
Even with savings, non financial help is still needed on the us side, very true

Last edited:

"As for the family of 5, they would need help on the US side unless they have plenty of savings.
"
So based on that-what would be your best advise for me (a family of 5 without much savings)-Am thinking of moving first and they join later-Is that a good move?

@Britsimon, do you think the upcoming election for senate will affect US immigration policy?
In case the Republicans get control of the senate, I'm afraid they may change something. Any idea?

nice to hear from mb1xxx, by the way where is birth certificate , and marriage certificate authentication will be done?, I thought only education certificate is only necessary to be authenticated, but where is the place for birth certificate and marriage certificate authentication ? how about I-134 preparation , how done yet ?
btw how is the count down feels like till mid of November ?
wish u all best .

Hi Rolex, place for authentication of marriage and birth certificate is municipality branch office in Sheger Menafesha followed by MoFA at Kazanchis branch(former Ministry of Agriculture). Both offices put date, signature and stamp at the back. Total cost is (21+150) birr for each document.
Regarding I-134, I am hopping ownership certificates for my personal property (one G+1 house around CMS and one small automobile - with total market price of more than 150K USD) will replace it. I would like comments from the senior advisors in the forum on this.
For the countdown and the feeling, every family member is eager and confident to pass the interview. In fact we haven't take any practical action for the relocation that my disturb our regular life here in case something happen and we will not do until we hear from the CO at the embassy. We haven't even disclose the secrete to people around us except those very close and those who we think will understand any outcome of the interview.

"
So based on that-what would be your best advise for me (a family of 5 without much savings)-Am thinking of moving first and they join later-Is that a good move?

Yep that can be a good decision. It can take a while to get setup with a home, SSN, job and so on. That is no doubt easier when you are not having to support the family at high USA prices while you look for work. So you can go first and get sorted out within 2 to 3 months you will have things worked out.

@Britsimon, do you think the upcoming election for senate will affect US immigration policy?
In case the Republicans get control of the senate, I'm afraid they may change something. Any idea?

We'll have to wait and see. There is no doubt that Republicans will want to reform immigration law, but these things don't happen overnight. So, DV2015 is safe, as is DV2016 and I would guess that DV2017 would also be safe. Beyond that - who knows.