Signature on Passport

richmondva

Registered Users (C)
I received an instruction card along with the passport that states that one needs to sign the "full name" on the passport. However the passport itself does not mention anything about the "full name signature"; just the signature :confused:. Infact I had signed my normal signature on the passport application form. So my question is whether it is mandatory to sign the full name on the passport or would the normal/regular signature suffice (as in bank, drivers license, SSN, green card, all other places)? I hate this "full name" signature business enforced during citizenship :mad: as I do not want to end up being confused for the rest of my life about what to sign where :confused:. Ideally there should only be one signature for an individual but apparently USCIS (and now probably Dept of State) thinks otherwise :(. Any suggestions?

As Bobsmyth pointed out, it's not mandatory to sign your full name on the passport. I signed my passport with my regular signature and have used it for travel without any issues. My wife, a natural-born USC, had her passport for almost 10 years, signed with her regular signature. It's never been a problem.

This issue has been unnecessarily made complicated by different interpretations/instructions from USCIS. During my interview, I was specifically told by my IO (after I asked for clarification) to use the same signature that I use everywhere else - there was no ambiguity at all. I wish all IOs could be as clear as that.

This issue has been unnecessarily made complicated by different interpretations/instructions from USCIS. During my interview, I was specifically told by my IO (after I asked for clarification) to use the same signature that I use everywhere else - there was no ambiguity at all. I wish all IOs could be as clear as that.

You asked an IO how to sign your passport?

You asked an IO how to sign your passport?

No - I was referring to the signature on N400 form as well on the Nat. Cert. I am aware that the OP was specifically talking about passport, but my takeaway from the interview was to use my regular signature at all places - I don't see why passport should be an exception.

Simple-Passport process is under state department, whereas N-400 process is under USCIS..different departments with different standards.

Hmmm.... going by that logic, a male in USCIS should be okay turning up as a female in State Dept? A signature should not be messed with - just my opinion.

But I do understand your point. I was messing with you above (just like they like to mess with our signatures) :)