New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Finally, in oath que. It took exactly 4 weeks after interview. Don't know how long it takes to scheduling. Shouldn't be too long I guess since lots of applicants even got scheduled on the same day of interview.

Second Oath Letter...

Yesterday, I received the "original" oath letter from USCIS. Actually I wasn't expecting them to send me another copy of the same letter since I got my oath letter right after the interview. But this one is printed on a better paper and includes my A# and some other details that weren't on the initial letter that I was given. Is this the common practice..? I though they wouldn't send it again to save time and resources but then again this is USCIS...

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird thing happened!:eek:

Today I receive my oath letter in mail. It was mailed from local office in LIC dated 07/16/12. It looks like they do have different channels of sending oath letter.

I have changed my address after interview. I updated my case address from uscis.gov and got the confirmation letter in my new address. But the oath letter was still mailed to my old address. Thanks God this time USPS forwarded my mail correctly. The letter has finally been delivered into my hand with a yellow new address label on the envelope.

It's a Big surprise!

Online status still shows in que though.

2nd Interview or Withdraw??

I got my Citizenship test a few weeks go. I passed the test but the officer asked me several questions about my husband wich i responded.
Im living in Miami for the past 2 years but my husband still in California. I filled my n-400 in California since my husbnd stills with the same address n also because i called the 800 number fom uscis n they said that i should keep it in California since my husband stills living there otherwise it will delay the process (if i change it to Florida) also i didnt know when my husband is finally moving to Florida with me. The officer gave me a second interview for the next month ans ask me for tax returns, bill, joint bank acounts, etc.

Should i just withdraw my application n wait 2 more years or should i change my address to Florida ? Or go with the documents that i have (i do not have all the documents they are requesting) to my second inteview in California?

Spouses could stay and live in different states while going through immigration process so long- (1) there is a valid and reasonable reason for them to stay in different states; and (2) the living/staying situation in different state is temporary for one of the spouses. That being said, you don't have to worry about staying/living in different state (Florida in your situation) than where your spouse is residing (California in your case).

Withdrawing your case won't do any good at this point; rather withdrawing the application after having requested those documents could place your case under the marriage-fraud suspicion which could lead to further investigation and digging in your green card application as to how you obtained and whether there was fraud or not. It seems that USCIS would like to know the validity and bonafide of your marriage. That's why they have requested such documents. Nevertheless, requesting for those documents are not abnormal; rather they do ask such documents whenever bonafide of a marriage is in question.

I think you should try to obtain as many as documents requested. They are not saying that you should have ALL of those documents; rather produce as many as you could. If you don't have ANY then just submit an affidavit explaining why you don't have those documents. Many times cases are approved without submitting any documents by an applicant so long an officer could be satisfied with the truthfulness of an applicant.

Good luck....

I got my Citizenship test a few weeks go. I passed the test but the officer asked me several questions about my husband wich i responded.
Im living in Miami for the past 2 years but my husband still in California. I filled my n-400 in California since my husbnd stills with the same address n also because i called the 800 number fom uscis n they said that i should keep it in California since my husband stills living there otherwise it will delay the process (if i change it to Florida) also i didnt know when my husband is finally moving to Florida with me. The officer gave me a second interview for the next month ans ask me for tax returns, bill, joint bank acounts, etc.

Should i just withdraw my application n wait 2 more years or should i change my address to Florida ? Or go with the documents that i have (i do not have all the documents they are requesting) to my second inteview in California?

Rescheduling Oath

I just had my interview at LIC office on Monday August 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm. Everything went great and the officer was really warm and friendly. Before I was called in I noticed that everyone who came out of the interview was being given an oath date of August 29th. When my interview was finished the officer said I would get an oath letter in the mail because it was after 3pm and they don't give letters after 3pm. I asked if it would be for August 29th, and she said she was not sure whether it would be that day or in September. Now, I had been told by plenty of friends that between their interview and oath the max time was 2 weeks, and me being optimistic me, I had alreaady made plans to travel during labor day to Canada. I have green card and asylee status and my travel document expired two months ago. Is there any chance that in case my oath letter arrives and has a date on it for September that I can go and ask if I can reschedule the oath for an EARLIER time? Has anyone had success with that?

Oath ceremony... US citizen now...

:DI finally had my oath ceremony today at Cadman Plaza US District Court, Brooklyn.

I am not going into details as to what happened during the ceremony, I think everybody knows that much. But my experience today was very very positive and I really had fun. Having been sat through a friend's ceremony about 3 months ago, I wasn't expecting to have this much enjoyment out of this ceremony but I was wrong. All officers, organizing and directing the ceremony were extremely friendly, cordial and patient with everybody. Especially the officer Black who acted as lead person, was very entertaining and informative. He helped made the rather painful process, really fun (I didn't know that they are actually immigration officers who are conducting the interviews). Also the lady from the City of New York was a delight to listen to. She literally entertained everybody while giving tons of useful information about our responsibilities as new citizens.

We were told that today's ceremony was one of the most crowded one in a long time and officer Black included that this was the largest naturalization ceremony he ever presided over. We had 278 citizens from 56 different countries. The ceremonial room was packed and there were no room for the families. They had to watch the whole thing from upstairs.

The judge's speech was moving and 3 pages long(I could see his notes from my seat). But he spoke fast and everything took about 10 minutes. After that we were called to pick up our certificates. All in all, it was very enjoyable ceremony and I truly had fun.

Right after the ceremony, I rushed out, hop in the subway and went to the DMV located in lower Manhattan(11 Greenwich St). Since I had my first name changed, I wanted to update my driver's license first. Spent there about 1,5 hours but I got it done. From there, I went to banks and updated my info. I didn't think I would have enough time to apply for US passport today but since I finished at earlier stops quickly, I decided to go ahead and apply. I went to the post office in Grand Central. I opted for the expedited and I am told that it should arrive in 2 weeks. Oh, I also applied for the passport card. I heard that it is quite useful in Europe. So we'll see...

This has been quite the journey for me that started in 1997 and today, I can finally say that I am a proud US citizen. Besides, I am so glad that I won't be dealing with USCIS anymore. Going forward, I'd like to thank everybody here from the bottom of my heart whom I really learned a lot about the process. I wish everybody in here still waiting for the interview or the oath best of luck. Hang in there, you're almost there...

Thank you...

Thanks rdxxs8513,

Yes, I've got done a lot yesterday. I still need to update my info in other places though. But you have much less job once you become a citizen then. But still, you have to go to SS office to update your status. I'm planning go there as soon as my passport arrives because in the ceremony the officer told us that we should give it some time to do that. Two weeks should be enough I think.

Well, the whole oath process took exactly 4 hours. My scheduled time was 8:30am and I was out by 12:30pm. However I showed up at 7:30 and so it was 5 hours for me. To be honest, I am glad that I came early because I settled on one of those nice and comfortable jury chairs. Also, people were processed in the order they were seated, so I was always first in line to everything. I recommend you to do the same.

I hope you'll have as much fun as I did. Yes, it could be boring at times but try to see the positive side; how many times will you have a similar experience in life..? Try to enjoy every moment of it because no matter how boring it gets sometimes, it is still very special, once in a life time event.

Congratulations! You had a busy day - full of accomplishments! So how long the process took? I wish I can have the same experience as yours!

I have no need to update my name from DMV. I have no travel plan so I will possibly apply for regular processing to save some $$ :)

Guys,

Tomorrow is the big date for me. I will attend the oath ceremony at:
United States District Court
Eastern District of New York
225 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201

I'm wondering should I take subway or drive there. I think I will be there at around 7:15am. Is there ample street parking or I need to park in a garage nearby?

Please comment if you have similar experience. Thank you very much!

Job done!

I arrived courthouse at 7:15am by car. I did not spend any time looking for street parking and went directly into a parking lot which costs me $14. Not bad!

I went in at 7:40am because the security guy did not allow people to go in before 7:40. I'm one of the first 15 early birds so I've been assigned one of the confortable seats. Today there were more than 280 new citizens to be naturalized!!! The process took 4 hours and I was out on 11:40am. The Judge actually came in at 11:15am and we spent about 15 minutes to take the oath and listen to his speech. I don't want to repeat all the details as Dselek already described it very well. Just those administrative works. Just one thing to remind everyone who's going to take oath here: they will take your cell phone and camera. So don't try to keep your smartphone to kill time when you're waiting.

Overall it's a good experience. I feel it's good to drive there honestly. Because at noon time traffic is super good and it took me only 20 minutes to go home. If I take subway it will waste me one extra hour and I must be exhausted! I had a big lunch and then applied my passport at my local post office. Everything's done by 2:00PM. I'm a happy citizen now.

Congratulations...

Congratulations, rdxxs8513. I am happy for you and finally you are done! :eek:

I arrived courthouse at 7:15am by car. I did not spend any time looking for street parking and went directly into a parking lot which costs me $14. Not bad!

I went in at 7:40am because the security guy did not allow people to go in before 7:40. I'm one of the first 15 early birds so I've been assigned one of the confortable seats. Today there were more than 280 new citizens to be naturalized!!! The process took 4 hours and I was out on 11:40am. The Judge actually came in at 11:15am and we spent about 15 minutes to take the oath and listen to his speech. I don't want to repeat all the details as Dselek already described it very well. Just those administrative works. Just one thing to remind everyone who's going to take oath here: they will take your cell phone and camera. So don't try to keep your smartphone to kill time when you're waiting.

Overall it's a good experience. I feel it's good to drive there honestly. Because at noon time traffic is super good and it took me only 20 minutes to go home. If I take subway it will waste me one extra hour and I must be exhausted! I had a big lunch and then applied my passport at my local post office. Everything's done by 2:00PM. I'm a happy citizen now.

naturalization with name change take in NYC <in recent year>

Hi, Everyone. I so much appreciate the details and timeline you guys post,but it just takes me too much time to read all them to find out which one is similar to my case. I'm begging for naturalization details from whom was previously in my shoes. (experience from 2011 or 2012 preferred)I'm planning to file my naturalization N-400 form in mid-January 2013. I'm a resident of NYC. I want to change my name, both first and last name, not planning to get a middle or suffix. I have clean record, only been out of the country once for one month. The fact that I go to college in Buffalo bugs me a lot, which means that I need to go back and forth between NYC and Buffalo, not only it takes me time (8 hour bus ride), but it also costs me $$. I'm just wondering how many times you need to be physically present in NYC immigration office for all the necessary paperwork after you file the N-400 form. Also approximately how long it takes for a case like this? I heard that it's usually 6 months, which means I can be done by JULY and start a new school year without any worries, but with the name change, it takes longer? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi, Everyone. I so much appreciate the details and timeline you guys post,but it just takes me too much time to read all them to find out which one is similar to my case. I'm begging for naturalization details from whom was previously in my shoes. (experience from 2011 or 2012 preferred)I'm planning to file my naturalization N-400 form in mid-January 2013. I'm a resident of NYC. I want to change my name, both first and last name, not planning to get a middle or suffix. I have clean record, only been out of the country once for one month. The fact that I go to college in Buffalo bugs me a lot, which means that I need to go back and forth between NYC and Buffalo, not only it takes me time (8 hour bus ride), but it also costs me $$. I'm just wondering how many times you need to be physically present in NYC immigration office for all the necessary paperwork after you file the N-400 form. Also approximately how long it takes for a case like this? I heard that it's usually 6 months, which means I can be done by JULY and start a new school year without any worries, but with the name change, it takes longer? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Although I am not a citizen, today we just received my brothers OL letter which is scheduled for Oct 9 in Brooklyn.
So, he had to physically go to local processing office twice.. First was for FP and the second was for Interview and this will be the third which is the oath ceremony.

About name change from what I have heard of other people, not a good idea.
I know someone from another state who changed name and had to wait almost a year more.

And in your case it might be even longer because you are changing both first and last.

Good luck though..

I know someone from another state who changed name and had to wait almost a year more...

How about in NYC? So it bascially took your brother about 4 months to complete the whole thing, I'm so jealous, but congratulation too. There were no name changes whatsoever in your brother's case? But I heard that if you change your name after naturalization, it not only costs you money AGAIN, but it also takes time. What I want is that I want to start the new school year with a new name. So I am bascially stuck between the rock and a hard place.

I am doing a name change - first and last - and my timeline has been pretty OK so far - not as fast as some others, but I'll be having my interview approx. 4.5 months after I applied...

N400 timeline NJ-Newark experience

OK, started my journey today: 5 years minus 3 months of permanent residence. Will keep posted on my progress here...
--------------------------------------
09/18/12: N400 x 2 (in one envelope) Fedexed to Lewisville, TX -- Day 0
09/20/12: Received -- Day 2
09/21/12: NOA x 2 were mailed -- Day 3
09/24/12: e-mail (with NBC numbers) received for both cases -- Day 6
09/24/12: checks cashed -- Day 6
09/26/12: Fingerprinting appointment notice -- Day 8
10/10/12: FP/biometrics taken -- Day 22

Hopefully it's 5 years minus 90 days, and not exactly 3 months. If they deem that you sent the application even one day early, it will be rejected immediately (if you're lucky), or at the interview AFTER cashing your cheque (if you're not).

N-400 (5-year) timeline

Thanks everyone here for providing your experiences on the immigration process. Was of great help in estimating the timing. Posting my timeline as a reference as well here. Some dates might be off a day or two as I cannot remember the exact date any more for letters received.

---
N-400 (5 years), NYC Queens
4/21/2012 Application Mailed to Texas
4/25/2012 Application priority date
5/7/2012 NOA received
5/19/2012 FP Notice received
6/11/2012 FP done
8/7/2012 Interview appointment letter received
9/10/2012 Interview (L.I.C Office), approved
9/19/2012 Oath Ceremony appointment letter received
10/11/2012 Oath Ceremony date (coming up)

Hopefully it's 5 years minus 90 days, and not exactly 3 months. If they deem that you sent the application even one day early, it will be rejected immediately (if you're lucky), or at the interview AFTER cashing your cheque (if you're not).

Thanks for comment... Well, the GC was issued on 12/19/2007; They received application on 09/20/2012, which is exactly 90 days before full 5 years, according to their on-line calculator. Date sent is not equal to date received which in turn is not equal to date filed. The USCIS say that one can FILE 90 days before full 5 years pass...
I think I am fine but will keep posted...

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while, but I felt the need to share my naturalization time line and interview experience. My recipet notice was received and/or dated approximately May 16th 2012 and I received a preliminary interview notice letter advising that I should bring to my interview my state issued ID card and certified copies of my arrest. I am not sure when I received the actual interview letter, but maybe three weeks before my interview date which was sceduled for June 21st, 2012 at 3:eek:opm at Federal Plaza.

I have been a green card holder for approximately 5 years through marriage. Although I did not have to file for citizenship based on the marriage criteria, I did.

My main concern for the interview process was the fact that I was arrested in 2007 for crimes I did not commit, for which I ended up pleading guilty to disorderly conduct on the advise of my lawyer. I did include a personalre-count of the arrest, explaining exactly what happened and why I felt I was wrongfully arrested and my decision to plead guilty to a disorderly conduct instead of continuing to pursue the case before the grand jury. I was very honest in my letter and expressed my desire to become a US citizen and that I would have never done anything to prevent that.

Moving on, My husband and I arrived approximately half an hour early. I waited maybe 30 to 40 mins before I was called in to the interview room. I swore in, then i was asked to show my green card and passport. He asked me the questions in the application form, to which I answered all the questions the same. He asked about the arrest and stated that he read my statement and the situation was unfortunate, and advised that I should not have taken the deal as I more than likely would have beaten the case.

We went on the the civics portion of the interview. My six questions were:

1. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
2. Name three states that border New Mexico.
3. What is the name of the two political parities in the US?
4. What party is President Obama with?
5. Name three states that border Canada.
6. I can't remember, sorry

I answered all questions correctly, and I was asked to write a sentence.

Basically he told me I was recommended for approval, however because of the arrest, his supervisor would have to approve my case, but he was 99.9% sure that I was approved as he was giving his recommendation. He asked me to wait for about an hour for my appointment letter for naturalization.

I was so excited. He asked for no documents pertaining to the arrest, my marrige, state ID, nothing, only the green card and passport.

We waited for about 2.5 to 3 hours before I received my letter for the swearing in ceremony. The date was set for October 17th, unfortunately that was the day after Hurricane Sandy, so my husband went down to the court house the following day on the 18th to find out abour re-scheduling and they told him I had to bring the notice personally. I went on the 19th and was informed that the re-scheduling would be done automactically. On Saturday 10th November I received a notice to appear at 225 Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn NY for the naturalization ceremony for today Tuesday 13th, November.

It was such a long process. There was approximately 100 people there, they reviewed the notice as we had to fill out the back prior to coming to the ceremony advising if any change to our situation since the interview. We were also asked to sign the naturalization certificate and confirm that name, age, sex and date of birth were correct. After being there for about 3 hours, the judge finally came in, and we recited the Oath of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance. Then it is official! I am a United States citizen.

This immigration process has been long and tiredsome and some what nerve racking at times, but this forum definitely helped. Thanks to Johnny Cash for advice so many years ago, my husband and all the honest unbiased immirgration officers. Thank you GOD! God Bless America and each and everyone of you!