background check followup

spoonsphere

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience with regard to dealing with a delay in background check in hopes that it may be helpful to others in the same situation.

I had submitted in my application for naturalization in July, 2005. I attended my interview in January, 2006. I was told at the end of the interview that my background check was pending and that I could expect to hear back within 120 days. The 120 days passed and I had heard nothing. I contacted the USCIS several times after that inquiring about the status via InfoPass appointments, but got no further information.

I was called for a fingerprinting update in May, 2008 because they had expired, so I knew that my application was still active.

Two weeks ago, I contacted my local congressman's office explaining the situation and asking them if they might be able to help resolve the situation. I sent an email one afternoon and followed up by telephone the next morning and received confirmation that the congressman's office had contacted the USCIS the previous afternoon.

Last Friday, I received an N-445 in the main confirming my oath ceremony appointment for this week. I am now a US citizen.

If you have had a background check pending forever, contact your local congressman's office - they may just be able to move this along.

-s

good. But 3 years is long time. There are people who came on luck of the lotto almost 5 years ago and have already gotten citizenship before you. Life ain't fair.

Therefore unfair and should be eliminated. The thing is most Americans don't know that green cards are handed by luck of the Lotto whereas h1-b have to slog off for years to EARN their green card. If We together can publicize this unfairness of the LOTTo, US citizens will be more aware of this and write letters to their representatives and perhaps lotto category can be eliminated and its visas distributed to H1-b category and relative category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Therefore unfair and should be eliminated. The Lotto visas should be distributed to relative category and h1-b category. The thing is most Americans don't know that green cards are handed by luck of the Lotto whereas h1-b have to slog off for years to EARN their green card. If We together can publicize this unfairness of the LOTTo, US citizens will be more aware of this and write letter sto their representatives and perhaps lotto category can be eliminated and its visas distributed to H1-b category and relative category.

OK, let's do it: SUSPEND LOTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and give all the 50,000 grenn cards to mauriciopelli's family through h1-b visa.
I guess they heard me and they will stop the lottery. :D :D :D

FYI: The DV 2010 will bring 50,000 more lucky winners of DV lottery to America in 2010 and has been opened today. :D
You can try your chance, who knows ? :D :D
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html
Me, I am getting ready to play for 20 of my friends and family members.:D :D

This relative category has only 100,000 quota. And h1-b has 65000 quota. If we can eliminate this freeloading Dv lotto category and distribute half half to each to relative and h1-b category it will be productive and be of more use to US. SO I am for elimination of Dv lotto.

This relative category has only 100,000 quota. And h1-b has 65000 quota. If we can eliminate this freeloading Dv lotto category and distribute half half to each to relative and h1-b category it will be productive and be of more use to US. I am myself a lotto winner but I don't think it was fair because many of my deserving and more educated mates did not get it. Also I applied for my brother but he has to wait a long time in brother/sister category. SO I am for elimination of Dv lotto.

If you think the category to which you came to US should be eliminated, then I think you should surrender your Green Card. Your brother in consequence shouldn't deserve to be here because his H1-b will derive from the lottery that you won. You sound like a kid who grows up and wants to kill his mother because he doesn't need here anymore. COME ON Chen.

I am a proud and lucky DV winner

Therefore lotto category can be eliminated and its visas distributed to H1-b category and relative category.

Diversity and melting pot are two of the main achievements in the immigration history. Taking lotto out, in my view, is a major hamper to the acievements, and before long, we may see all immigrants are from India, China, Mexico, and Phillippine (do I spell it right?).

I am eager to meet the people from the small countries coming here by lottoty, I am eager to learn from them, and I am appreciative of the cultures they bring here. People from all over the world help us see and understand more of ourselves. Lotto provides THE invaluable opportunity for all of us to experience so, and its impact is profound and far beyond the fair/unfair question.

This relative category has only 100,000 quota. And h1-b has 65000 quota. If we can eliminate this freeloading Dv lotto category and distribute half half to each to relative and h1-b category it will be productive and be of more use to US. I am myself a lotto winner but I don't think it was fair because many of my deserving and more educated mates did not get it. Also I applied for my brother but he has to wait a long time in brother/sister category. SO I am for elimination of Dv lotto.

I am a lottery winner and am extremely grateful for this opportunity. I think you are full of it. Who are you to think that this little chance of freedom and dream should be taken away from people around the world:rolleyes: Who are you to decide what is fair and what is not??? For your records, the DV category includes about 100K winners and only half of them make it through.

Stop steering crap up!

spponshpere,

Do you mind posting your email to the Congressman as a sample format for us all. I have tried contacting various senator's and congressman's office but have not had any quick response. Also, which congressman did you contact?

spponshpere,

Do you mind posting your email to the Congressman as a sample format for us all. I have tried contacting various senator's and congressman's office but have not had any quick response. Also, which congressman did you contact?

hi,

i contacted congressman wolf's office by telephone and explained the situation. they provided me the name of the person at their office who might be able to help. i emailed her one afternoon and then followed up by telephone with her the next day. she was really helpful, and i was pleased to learn that she had contacted uscis the same afternoon.

you should contact your own congressman's office, however.

the letter was straightforward - clearly detailing facts and dates. obviously, you'll need to write a letter describing your particular situation.

Dear <Name>:

I was advised that you might be able to help me in getting my application for naturalization processed.

Below is a brief background of my application.

I applied for my citizenship in <application month and year> and had my interview in <interview month and year>. I attended my interview and passed my tests of English, U. S. history, and government. I was informed at the end of my interview that my background check was pending and that I should hear back within 120 days. 120 days passed, and I had not heard anything. I requested an appointment at the USCIS office to inquire about the status of my case. When I went to meet with the USCIS office, I was informed that my background check was still pending. They had no updates and no estimates as to when my background check would be completed. They suggested that I check back periodically to inquire about the case. I made appointments and checked back periodically, each time being told the same thing.

In April, 2008, the USCIS published a News Release acknowledging the backlog of background checks and indicating that they were working with the FBI to clear this backlog. The News Release indicated that cases that had been pending for more than two years would be cleared by July, 2008.

I received a notice in <fingerprint update month and year> indicating that my fingerprints were no longer current - they expire after 15 months. I appeared for my fingerprinting appointment in <fingerprint update month and year>. However, I still have not received a status on my case.

Below is my information.

Name: <my full name>.

Alien Registration Number: <A Number>.

Application Number: <Application Number>

Date of Application: <Date application filed>.

Date of Interview: <Date of interview>.

Date of Fingerprint Update: <Date of fingerprint update>.

Address: <street address>.

Telephone number: <telephone number>.

I would sincerely appreciate if you could inquire to the status of my case with the USCIS. I am very much looking forward to being able to vote this November, and am concerned that the deadline for registering
to vote is fast approaching.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is any other information that you require.

Sincerely,
<my name>

The House of representatives and the Senat have already tried to eliminate the diversity lottery, but it did not pass. The lottery is a fundamental piece of the American Dream in the world and a committment of diversity for this country.

The US does not need just qualified workers, but also strong people to finish the war in irak.

Dear Friend:

I am in the process of launching a web site whose sole and only purpose is be to publicize the unfairness of DV lotto. I am very hopeful that our elected representatives will heed the call of the general public/US citizens and begin the process of eliminating this unfair DV Lotto category.

Your help in publicizing the unfairness of DV LOTTO is highly appreciated.

Pray that we succeed in removing this category and distributing the quota of this category to relative category and H1-b categories.

Close relatives need to be united and US needs skilled professionals in today's highly competitive economic environment.

:)
Dear Friend..Here are two of my advices for you: 1) read good books - it will help you tremendously; 2) don't spit in the cup that so many quite their thirst.

P.S. This country needs to help most of its people to learn how to think and be more humane.