March Filers, let's get together !!

Hello
I hope that everyone is doing fine!
I have the following concern. Yesterday I got my passport stamped with the I-551 (temporary) and I was wondering, can I leave the country with that stamp? The IO mentioned something about "having some problems at the time to try to re enter the US" but I do not know what she was talking about. She was saying that I should wait until I get my card, but I am leaving in 8 days
Any comments on this matter are welcome
Thanks

Hello
I hope that everyone is doing fine!
I have the following concern. Yesterday I got my passport stamped with the I-551 (temporary) and I was wondering, can I leave the country with that stamp? The IO mentioned something about "having some problems at the time to try to re enter the US" but I do not know what she was talking about. She was saying that I should wait until I get my card, but I am leaving in 8 days
Any comments on this matter are welcome
Thanks

people actually take infopass (for I551) to travel outside USA if they haven't recvd GC within the given time period ( gotta show 485 approval notice).
What the IO might have said is, IF you have a pending 485 and leave the country...u might have trouble re-entering the states. In that case, the 485 is considered abandoned and you are deported back.
Not sure why she confused you......did u pizz her off ? jk
IN your case, you are approved, status has been changed. MY guess is you got the I551 cos u are married for less than 2 yrs with your spouse, it's conditional...but as good as real GC. Ask around for more inf outside of this thread...i only know so much, there's more people outside who can confirm what i just told u.
I551 is as good as a green card, it's like GC stamped on ur PP, travel as much as u want( you can even WORK showing the red stamp....yea it's that powerful), u are free to move about the cabin.
Congrats Galeleo, and Chicagolady !

http://www.visalaw.com/03mar2/2mar203.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Springfield,

I did not call to check the update, I registered my case number on uscis.gov website. whenever they update the case, they send you an email. My FP was done on March31st, yours should be in the queue too...

Good luck.

Which number did you call to check for the update of your EAD? I got the FP on APR26 and still wait for the EAD card.

thanks
springfield

Hi Springfield,

I did not call to check the update, I registered my case number on uscis.gov website. whenever they update the case, they send you an email. My FP was done on March31st, yours should be in the queue too...

Good luck.

I see. Thank you very much for your information. Did you file in Chicago?

springfield

Alright! Finally got our FP NOA today after almost 2 months of waiting. I was surprised it is scheduled for June 9th which is a Saturday but no complaints from me.

Anyway, congrats UMPLOOP! I am glad we have another victorious one for the March filers.

Good luck KKBOY. I am sure you will be the 3rd GC holder by end of day for the March filers! Please post your experience.

Hello,
I'm new to this site and I don't know how it works.. I would like to know what I need to do to start the process for my residency. I'm from Mexico, I was brought here in August of 89 but my mother never tried to start the process because the didn't have the money, I got married in Nov 06 and my husband is a USC, do I need to wait for a law to pass for me to file or do we file now? I really don't know what to do, I was going to make an appointment with a lawyer but he charges $200 for 30min, I think thats too much, but then again I don't know if thats the normal amount.. I just need some advice..

Thank You,
Brenda Villegas

still here at home...tick tock..tick tock

Thx, unix,jbh,springfield...don't give me rockstar status..might fall flat on my face soon lol.

Villegas, here's some info I had sent to another user (SPONSOR) a couple months back. try to refer to it and see if it helps you. I am not sure if you crossed the border with an inspection or not. That has it's own consequences and depending on that you might be able to file or not file AOS.
---begin---
First, depending on your spouse's current status, I will assume F1 or H1, here's what you(sponsor) need to send to the chicago lockbox address once you have your citizenship cert in your hand. Prepare all this way in advance b4 your oath ceremony so you don't lose any days. File 130 + 485 together at the same time.

Package A:
1. You have to file for I 130 for your spouse, it's a 2 page form with plenty of instructions and is very easy to fill out
2. Fill out Form G325A for you and for your spouse and attach it to the I130 form ( 325A has 4 pages, same page 4 times)
3. 1 passport style photo of each person is required for this form (total 2)
4. Check for I130 fees, do it asap, fees are going to rise soon. currently they are $190
5. Send copies of:
your naturalization cert
marriage cert
all supporting docs to show a real marriage that includes: joint bank account statement copy, joint car title copy, joing health/life insurance, joint gas/electric/cable bills, credit card copies, home title or lease copy. Send all these copies with the I 130.

That's it for package A.

Now for your spouse's I 485 (adjustment of status while she is inside the usa)
1. Form I485 (spouse signs it)
2. Sealed Medical exam report (from specific doctors, fees anywhere from $140-$400). Get this done asap even tomorrow since the results are valid for 1 yr
3. Form I 864, affidavit of support
This form needs proof of your income tax filings and current letter of employment, do this form properly or you might get RFE
( send copies of 1040 for past 3 yrs + 1099 (interest income etc) + w2 copies for 3 yrs). If you send tax transcripts in place of 1040 copies, that's ok too. I have heard that folks who sent tax transcripts only got RFE'd for 1099 (extra income) forms, do send them.
4. 1 form G325A for spouse only
5. 2 PP style photos of spouse
6. Check for Fees, currently $300
supporting docs with I485 are clearly written on the instructions pages of the form:

Spouse birth cert in english
Her current status ( I 797 notice or visa stamp- if visa has been taken in past 1 yr)
Copy of current I94

That's it...
Start from here, let me know if you have any questions, am sure u will. Hope this helps.

Fillable Forms page for all these forms:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...45f3d6 a1RCRD

photo requirement page:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/0...hoto_flyer.pdf
---end---

PS: If you don't have an urgency to work, don't file EAD and AP (for travel), GC's arrive within 3 months sometimes...earlier than EAD or AP approvals, you end up wasting $$$, my 2 cents

hm

kkboy;
Having your passport stamped is not the some as having you I485 approved?
Thanks
diego

1. passport stamped with I551 always means an approval of 485.

2. 485 approval may get one a passport stamp but they don't always stamp your passport (with I551) even after a 485 approval, depends on DO (case by case basic).

Guess you have to hear/read APPROVED on your 485 during your interview and get lucky and get an I551 stamp. If 485 is pending, they do stamp your passport with some other info such as "pending xxx, officer name , date etc"

I was brought here illegally, and I heard that when I file I need to go back to Mexico, my husband is a natural born USC.. I'm pregnant too and I'm due next month in June, so I was wondering if I do have to leave to Mexico would it be better for me to wait since my husband doesn't want me to take the baby with me and we don't know how long I would have to stay in Mexico..

Yes, I filed in chicago. I have interview in chicago (101 Jackson) on 25th June.

Hey Kkboy, goodluck!

Thank you very much for your reply. What number did you get at the left bottom below the interview address? Mine is number 6. Is it not on 101 W.Congress?

thanks
springfield

Mine is number 10, and I think you are right, it must be 101 W congress. I will confirm it tonight after looking at interview letter.

when is your interview?

Thank you very much for your reply. What number did you get at the left bottom below the interview address? Mine is number 6. Is it not on 101 W.Congress?

thanks
springfield

I was brought here illegally, and I heard that when I file I need to go back to Mexico, my husband is a natural born USC.. I'm pregnant too and I'm due next month in June, so I was wondering if I do have to leave to Mexico would it be better for me to wait since my husband doesn't want me to take the baby with me and we don't know how long I would have to stay in Mexico..

I do not think you should to go back to Mexico. Specially pregnant.

You have to pay a $ 1,000 fee though, because you came to the US without inspection. :(