Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Hey, lazycis and other members,

The defendants argued that my priority date was current for "a brief window", which is 6 months. The following are the rebuttal that I prepared. Any comments or suggesions are welcome!:)

Defendants claimed that Plaintiffs’ visa priority date retrogressed on December 2007, “after a brief window in which all visa priority dates were declared current”. However, the fact is that the plaintiffs’ visa priority date was current from June 2007 to November 2007, which cannot be considered as a brief window within the context. The defendants concede that USCIS has a mandatory duty to utilize 140,000 visas plus any family based visas which have been unused in the previous fiscal year on Employment based (EB) visa applicants annually. Therefore, at least 70,000 employment-based I485 cases have been or should have been adjudicated during this so-called “brief window”. Additionally, the facts here are two-fold: The priority date for EB2 preference category for Chinese nationals have undergone serious retrogression twice within last 3 years; while thousands of EB visa number have been wasted because USCIS don’t process enough pending applications in a timely manner. “In FY 06, over 10,000 employment-based visas were lost, even though USCIS had an estimated 100,000 to 150,000 pending applications for employment-based green cards.” (see Ombudsman report for 2007 at page 33-34). The slow and random movement of the visa priority date, and the subsequent generation of this so-called “brief window” are in clear violation of congressional intent because USCIS has a mandatory duty to utilize visa numbers to the fullest extent possible. See Galvez v. Howerton, 503 F. Supp. 35, 38-39 (C.D. Cal. 1980).

In addition, "8 U.S.C. § 1152(a)(3) specifies that the 7% per-country limit can be exceeded when visa numbers are available. Congress certainly intended that USCIS use visa numbers to the fullest extent possible and made sure that additional provisions are provided to this effect". (quoting wom_ri :))
Therefore Defendants statement that visas were available for only brief period is incorrect. Notwithstanding DOS cut-over dates for employment categories, the USCIS can ignore per-country limitations if visas are available. As we stated earlier, visas were lost in FY 2006 and one of those visas could've been used to adjudicate Plaintiff's applications if it was not unreasonably delayed by the Defendants.
Finally, the federal courts have the authority under the APA (see 5 U.S.C. §§ 702, 706) to set aside agency action that is not in accordance with the law and to order federal agencies involved to remedy harm which was inflicted upon Plaintiff by Defendants actions or inactions. If this Honorable court finds that the Defendants unreasonably delayed action on Plaintiff's adjustment of status applications and that a vsa number became unavailable to Plaintiff as a result, the court has authority under 5 U.S.C. § 702 to order the government agencies involved to issue a visa number necessary to adjudicate Plaintiff's application and to make a decision on Plaintiff's application within a reasonable time as required by 5 U.S.C. § 555(b).

Last edited by a moderator:
What can we do if the US attorney jerk around us?

My husband called US attorney this morning again.

This time, they claimed that my case has not been assigned to anybody yet. "It might take 60 days to assign an attorney.", one guy claimed. My husband argued that after 60 days we will go to court, and then they said my case has been assigned, but the attorney has not looked at case yet, so they cannot say anything to us. They will call us once the attorney look at the case.

Then, they said that they cannot talk to my husband since he is not the plaintiff.

My husband just checked local rule (San Jose, CA), it did not say that my husband cannot talk to attorney on behalf of me. It said my husband cannot go to court as me.

Lazycis, I remember you answered similar question earlier on this thread, but I could not remember which page. My husband and I both took time to search through it, but could not find it. Could you please comment it again?

By the way, the reason I asked my husband to talk to them on behalf of me is because he speaks much better English than I do.

thanks!!

Thanks, lazycis!

Hey, lazycis,

Your arguments is so concise and right to the point! And it is amazing that you can memorize wom_ri's arguments so well. I will definitely include your arguments in my MSJ. I wish I were half as good as you are:).

I think I have several court orders for estoppel, but I still need the following cases. Could you please upload it on the forum? Also, do I need a password if I want to put these cases on http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check? I think it would be nice to update that website as well.

Villena v. INS, 622 F.2d 1352, 1361 (9th Cir. 1980) ;
Yoo v. INS, 534 F.2d 1325, 1328-29 (9th Cir. 1976) ;
Paunescu v. INS, 76 F.Supp.2d 896, 903 (N.D.Ill.1999);

In addition, "8 U.S.C. § 1152(a)(3) specifies that the 7% per-country limit can be exceeded when visa numbers are available. Congress certainly intended that USCIS use visa numbers to the fullest extent possible and made sure that additional provisions are provided to this effect". (quoting wom_ri :))
Therefore Defendants statement that visas were available for only brief period is incorrect. Notwithstanding DOS cut-over dates for employment categories, the USCIS can ignore per-country limitations if visas are available. As we stated earlier, visas were lost in FY 2006 and one of those visas could've been used to adjudicate Plaintiff's applications if it was not unreasonably delayed by the Defendants.
Finally, the federal courts have the authority under the APA (see 5 U.S.C. §§ 702, 706) to set aside agency action that is not in accordance with the law and to order federal agencies involved to remedy harm which was inflicted upon Plaintiff by Defendants actions or inactions. If this Honorable court finds that the Defendants unreasonably delayed action on Plaintiff's adjustment of status applications and that a vsa number became unavailable to Plaintiff as a result, the court has authority under 5 U.S.C. § 702 to order the government agencies involved to issue a visa number necessary to adjudicate Plaintiff's application and to make a decision on Plaintiff's application within a reasonable time as required by 5 U.S.C. § 555(b).

waitforsolong

hey, waitforsolong,

Don't be so stressed about it. I think they usually will assign AUSA to you case when it is 2-3 weeks away from the 60 days deadline. So it is better to check it when it is 2 weeks away from the deadline. It may be correct that they haven't looked at your case yet because they work for goverment and they are entitled to be lazy:), period.
You are in SF or Northern California district, right? If that is true, you have nothing to worry about. The USCIS will probably resolve the issue and adjudicate your case very soon. But if they don't, the court order will compel them to do so. Don't worry too much about your English. You can ask email address of the AUSA who is in charge of your case. And you can email her or him if you want, instead of calling. I think it might be ok if you are around the phone when your husband make a call, although I am not 100% sure.

This time, they claimed that my case has not been assigned to anybody yet. "It might take 60 days to assign an attorney.", one guy claimed. My husband argued that after 60 days we will go to court, and then they said my case has been assigned, but the attorney has not looked at case yet, so they cannot say anything to us. They will call us once the attorney look at the case.

Then, they said that they cannot talk to my husband since he is not the plaintiff.

My husband just checked local rule (San Jose, CA), it did not say that my husband cannot talk to attorney on behalf of me. It said my husband cannot go to court as me.

Lazycis, I remember you answered similar question earlier on this thread, but I could not remember which page. My husband and I both took time to search through it, but could not find it. Could you please comment it again?

By the way, the reason I asked my husband to talk to them on behalf of me is because he speaks much better English than I do.

thanks!!

It would definitely be a good idea to update the wiki page. You don't need a password to make text edits to the page. But I think you need an account with Wikipedia which you can create for free to upload files on wikipedia.
Alternately, you can upload files here on the forum and provide a link from wiki page.
Hey, lazycis,
I think I have several court orders for estoppel, but I still need the following cases. Could you please upload it on the forum? Also, do I need a password if I want to put these cases on http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check? I think it would be nice to update that website as well.

Villena v. INS, 622 F.2d 1352, 1361 (9th Cir. 1980) ;
Yoo v. INS, 534 F.2d 1325, 1328-29 (9th Cir. 1976) ;
Paunescu v. INS, 76 F.Supp.2d 896, 903 (N.D.Ill.1999);

thanks!!

Can you remind me what is the nature of your case? My advice is to add your husband as a plaintiff. Just add his name to your original complaint and file it with the court. Now your husband can speak with AUSA about the case. Even if court eventually dismisses your husband as a Plaintiff, my bet is that it won't happen until the case is resolved.

I am filing on 1447(b). I got my FBI name check, second fingerprint, and updates after initial interview with form I-215W. USCIS (San Jose sub office) put my case on the supervisor's desk for final approval since Jan 14, 2008.

If I want to put my husband's name on the complaint, do we need to refiling the whole thing? Or, is it an amendment thing we need to file?

Thanks,

I am filing on 1447(b). I got my FBI name check, second fingerprint, and updates after initial interview with form I-215W. USCIS (San Jose sub office) put my case on the supervisor's desk for final approval since Jan 14, 2008.

If I want to put my husband's name on the complaint, do we need to refiling the whole thing? Or, is it an amendment thing we need to file?

Thanks,

You do need to refile the whole thing, but you do not have to pay the filing fee again! Your husband can claim that he cannot fully enjoy his life without you being a citizen. One thing comes to mind that he may be afraid to travel with you out of the country because you may be refused re-entry. You need to file amended complaint with the court (no civil cover sheet this time) and send a copy to AUSA by regular US mail. No need to serve it to all other defendants. Husband may be able to use 5 USC 702, 706 and 28 USC 1331 to assert jurisdiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much!

You do need to refile the whole thing, but you do not have to pay the filing fee again! Your husband can claim that he cannot fully enjoy his life without you being a citizen. One thing comes to mind that he may be afraid to travel with you out of the country because you may be refused re-entry. You need to file amended complaint with the court (no civil cover sheet this time) and send a copy to AUSA by regular US mail. No need to serve it to all other defendants. Husband may be able to use 5 USC 702, 706 and 28 USC 1331 to assert jurisdiction.

We will try this.

Lazycis or other members,

Do you by any chance have an sample file for such kind of amended complaint?

Thanks a lot!!

Just take your original complaint, change the title to "First Amended Complaint" and you are good to go. Make any changes you want and file it (along with Exhibits) with the court. There are no other special requirements except that you need to include a certificate of service saying that you mailed a copy to AUSA.

Waitingforsolong,

Please look at the follwoing site:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check

It does have two lawsuits for N-400; one w/o interview (Mandamus relief) and the other with interview (1447b). Even though, you would use the one with the interview (1447b) but use some of the material from the former. The ideas is you need to show the court that you had used all the venues before knocking their door. Also, make stress on the court to adjudicate your case rather than remanding it to those Suckers again. If you provide me you email address I can gladly email you some important points I'm making in my suit. My case is the ditto-copy of yours but I'm waiting for my 90 days after the initial exam before I send them the copy of my suit with 30 days' deadline.

Lazycis or other members,

Do you by any chance have an sample file for such kind of amended complaint?

Thanks a lot!!

Hi, Lacycis and other gurus

I filed my WOM case on April 2. And the court issued an order to show cause on April 9. It ordered the defendants to show cause why the writ should not be granted, and it also said that "Defendants shall file responsive papers to the complaint by May 16, 2008".

Now 5/16 is approaching. I just checked my case via PACER and no response has been filed by AUSA(which is no surprise). From reading this forum, it's very likely that AUSA will request for extension in the last minute.

so here are the questions I have:
1. Should I call AUSA and ask for my case before 5/16?
2. If AUSA requests an extension(for the first time). Should I file an opposition?

Thanks!

Lazy,
Do you remember that there was someone who filed notice of appeal with the third circuit and a few weeks afterward got his green card? I was wondering if you have his appeal docket number.
I would like to add that the the 1st 4th and 7th cir cases that were mutually dismissed and I know their docket number.
Thanks,

Lazycis, OK-Boy, and other members,

I really appreciate your comments and help here.

The reason that I am in such a hurry is that I have already been waiting for so long, and my family situation does not allow me wait any longer. Also, this whole process (waiting) just is tearing me apart.

Plus, I think my case should be simple enough for both US attorney and USCIS. I have finished my name check, my interview, my second fingerprint, my updates after first interview. All I need is the the last supervisor to approve my case which is on his/her desk for 4 months.

I really hate to see US attorney and USCIS do nothing and waste all the time now, and ask for extension later.

By the way, OK-Boy, I dropped a private note in your inbox.

Thanks, I will update my case situation whenever I get any.

mmlulin

Hey, mmlulin,

That is very helpful. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

QUOTE=mmlulin;1905808]LexisNexis kind of online database uses IP range authentication for access. Say, Univ So-&-so licensed LexisNexis, and registers IP range 125.124.xxx.xxx, then any internet access within that IP range will be recognized as Univ So-&-so and be granted access. You do not necessarily need an actual account, but you need to access the database within that IP range physically or via VPN :D

A few months ago, I asked the same "account" question in our library while preparing my case. Here is how I did it (It should be similar throughout, at least, in North America)

1. Access the University network, either physically or by VPN
2. Find the LexisNexis entry in the said University online catalog
3. Usually you will see a link (see attachment, but it might be institution-specific)
4. Click the link, then you have the access (no need user name/password etc)

For this type of question, you may want to ask the librarian or anybody savvy in the said university, since the instruction could be institution-specific. Further, a lot of unviersities allow their students and faculty access their network from home via VPN. If your friend's institute grant such convenience, you can access Lexis from anywhere via VPN. I did most of my legal research at home.[/QUOTE]

Lazy,
Do you remember that there was someone who filed notice of appeal with the third circuit and a few weeks afterward got his green card? I was wondering if you have his appeal docket number.
I would like to add that the the 1st 4th and 7th cir cases that were mutually dismissed and I know their docket number.
Thanks,

Sorry, I do not recall such appeal in the 3rd Cir. I'll check my records.

about "Misrepresentation"

I just digged up this old post by wom_ri. It seems that if I can prove "bad faith", "withheld information" and "used information incorrectly", then the element of "misrepresentation" will not be missing. That is good to know.:)

Agree with the high bar for estoppel.. Estoppel does not happen usually happen on a large scale like this. Trust USCIS to establish such conduct!

We have a big burden to prove. But I think our case merits it.
We are a unique batch of people singled out by USCIS to prove on paper that they are doing things proactively for national securityin post sept11 world. Nothin wrong with the intention.. but execution was pure crap.
1. bad faith -- violation of 1153(e) .. requesting visa numbers for later applicaints
2. withheld information -- Jan2005 memo was withheld.. Feb2007 clarified an internal namecheck expedite trick. Feb2008.. namecheck reversal.. (this also is a pattern of deliberate lies).. collect namecheck memos from USCIS website and you will see the pattern.
3. Used information incorrectly..On various memo.. USCIS themselves acknowledge that the % of true hits from namecheck is very small.. So.. a mere hit in FBI databases implies nothing.. to withhold adjudication.. they used information incorrectly.. it does not render applicants ineligible for GC.. and they always could revoke GC at a later date.

wommei

How about Feb 4th Memo where the USCIS acknowledged that name check is not required to adjudicate I-485 to proof misrepresentation?

The Memo says, in particular:
“USCIS is issuing revised guidance in response to recommendations of the DHS office of Inspector General (OIG-06-06) regarding the need to align the agency’s background and security check policies with those of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)… In the context of removal proceedings, ICE has determined that FBI fingerprint check and Interagency Border Inspection Services (IBIS) checks are the required security checks for purposes of applicable regulations”.

Given the fact, that adjustment of status can be granted in removal proceedings (see 8 C.F.R. § 240.1(a), 8 U.S.C. § 1255), we conclude that FBI name check is not required by federal laws or regulations to adjudicate AOS application. The OIG report mentioned in the memo was issued in November, 2005. It's not clear why the USCIS continued to inflict sufferings upon hundreds thousands of applicants for more than 2 years.

See also attached document wich may be useful to you to draft MSJ.
Overall, estoppel should be your secondary argument. The Court can order DOS/USCIS to issue visa number without using estoppel.

That is a very good point, lazy! But does it fall in "use information incorrectly" or "withhold information"? My understanding of "withhold information" is to conceal information, is that right? Actually I already put the following arguments in the MSJ from your eariler post, but I didn't realize this could be served as "misrepresentation". Now I know how powerful it is.:D

I will read the material that you uploaded and I think it will strengthen my arguments. My strategy is: If I cannot win the case at district court, at least I will make the AUSA feel tired to death...

How about Feb 4th Memo where the USCIS acknowledged that name check is not required to adjudicate I-485 to proof misrepresentation?

The Memo says, in particular:
“USCIS is issuing revised guidance in response to recommendations of the DHS office of Inspector General (OIG-06-06) regarding the need to align the agency’s background and security check policies with those of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)… In the context of removal proceedings, ICE has determined that FBI fingerprint check and Interagency Border Inspection Services (IBIS) checks are the required security checks for purposes of applicable regulations”.

Given the fact, that adjustment of status can be granted in removal proceedings (see 8 C.F.R. § 240.1(a), 8 U.S.C. § 1255), we conclude that FBI name check is not required by federal laws or regulations to adjudicate AOS application. The OIG report mentioned in the memo was issued in November, 2005. It's not clear why the USCIS continued to inflict sufferings upon hundreds thousands of applicants for more than 2 years.

See also attached document wich may be useful to you to draft MSJ.
Overall, estoppel should be your secondary argument. The Court can order DOS/USCIS to issue visa number without using estoppel.