Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Lazycis:

I have sent a draft of the my 1447b lawsuit to USCIS and District Attorney's office one month's ago and told them of my intention to file the lawsuit. Nothing has happened. So, I decided that I have to file the lawsuit with the court next week.

After reading the ACLU's class action lawsuits and
similar cases filed by attorneys, I think I'd better to put WOM and other stuffs in the lawsuit besides 1447b. It seems to me that lawyers used all other
relevant statues in 1447b case. Otherwise, I think
the court might just remand the case back to USCIS without any specific instruction.

Thanks for your help

See attached opposition and motion for preliminary injunction. Don't delay, file it asap. Don't forget to put your information where necessary.

Lazycis:

I have sent a draft of the my 1447b lawsuit to USCIS and District Attorney's office one month's ago and told them of my intention to file the lawsuit. Nothing has happened. So, I decided that I have to file the lawsuit with the court next week.

After reading the ACLU's class action lawsuits and
similar cases filed by attorneys, I think I'd better to put WOM and other stuffs in the lawsuit besides 1447b. It seems to me that lawyers used all other
relevant statues in 1447b case. Otherwise, I think
the court might just remand the case back to USCIS without any specific instruction.

Thanks for your help

Make a complaint as big as you can, maybe AUSA will speed up your N400 instead of answering a complaint :) One more thing - consider filing lawsuit in DC district. It's proper to do that as the USCIS/FBI headquarter are located in DC.

Lazycis,

Can we ask the court to approve our application under 1447B rather than remanding it back to USCIS. What I'm trying to get is if we show court that we do fullfill all the necessary requirements of N-400 besides our hardships during this process and have the Judge to take the Oath. Please explain; Thanks,

OK-Boy
Make a complaint as big as you can, maybe AUSA will speed up your N400 instead of answering a complaint :) One more thing - consider filing lawsuit in DC district. It's proper to do that as the USCIS/FBI headquarter are located in DC.

Lazycis,

Can we ask the court to approve our application under 1447B rather than remanding it back to USCIS. What I'm trying to get is if we show court that we do fullfill all the necessary requirements of N-400 besides our hardships during this process and have the Judge to take the Oath. Please explain; Thanks,

OK-Boy

Definitely we can do it if we convince judge that FBI name check is not required for N400. Check the motion I posted here, it does have a reference to a case where court granted naturalization. The court has jurisdiction to do it under 1447b

Thanks for the reply. Is DC district more favorable
for plaintiff with 1447b lawsuit? Please explain why.
Also, are you sure it's OK to file in DC? How can I find out about this?

My local district is MD. From what reported from awudu here (I am in the same district as awudu), it
doesn't sound like once you file your lawsuit, you'll get what you want right way.

Thanks for the reply. Is DC district more favorable
for plaintiff with 1447b lawsuit? Please explain why.
Also, are you sure it's OK to file in DC? How can I find out about this?

My local district is MD. From what reported from awudu here (I am in the same district as awudu), it
doesn't sound like once you file your lawsuit, you'll get what you want right way.

Yes, DC is much more favorable. I did not see a single favorable decision coming out of MD. MD and VA are one of the worst districts, although Judge Brinkema from E.VA is one of the best!
1447b lawsuit can only be brought in your own district, but because you are planning to include other provisions (APA, MVA), you can bring lawsuit where you reside or where the defendants reside.

See 28 USC 1391(e)

(e) A civil action in which a defendant is an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof acting in his official capacity or under color of legal authority, or an agency of the United States, or the United States, may, except as otherwise provided by law, be brought in any judicial district in which
(1) a defendant in the action resides,
(2) a substantial part of the events or omissions giving rise to the claim occurred, or a substantial part of property that is the subject of the action is situated, or
(3) the plaintiff resides if no real property is involved in the action.

LazyCIS,

My situation is very odd as I have a prove of clearing my namecheck but USCIS kept my application on hold due to review by another officer after the interview. I believe my case will be easier to win as there is no need to expedite the FBI check.

Definitely we can do it if we convince judge that FBI name check is not required for N400. Check the motion I posted here, it does have a reference to a case where court granted naturalization. The court has jurisdiction to do it under 1447b

The reply I got today

Hey, lazycis and other members,

Attached is the reply i got today. It basically says that I cannot establish the elements for estoppel. And the dates that my priority date was current was "a brief window" (from June 2007 to November 2007). Maybe it is a brief window in the planet where USCIS lives--their minimum time counting units appear to be months or years.
Also I don't understand about all the "lies". In this reply, she says that I filed first amended complaint AFTER MTD, which is not true, again.
I will think more about it during weekends. Maybe I should wait to file something after I get the answer ( it is due on May 22nd).
Thanks for any inputs or opinions!

The safe bet is to file WOM after you wait for 2 years since your filed I485. In some very friendly district (like Northern Califonia district), it might be ok to file WOM at 18 months mark.:) Right now I suggest you to constantly mail or email or call USCIS, or send mail to congressman, senator, first lady,.... You need to put those as evidence when you file WOM anyway. You have to show that you tried everything you could possibly think of, and you don't get any relief.

how much time after AOS interview ( I 485) is the right time to to file Mandamus case againt USCIS....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for all your help.

My husband just called DA office today. He only got chance to talk to some kind of secretary lady there. The lady told my husband that they informed USCIS about case and asked us to wait until 3 weeks before 60 days deadline. They said USCIS has a lot of law cases to deal, so mine is just in the queue.

I feel that DA office is not really working on my case, and am worried that they just do nothing for now and ask for extension when 60 days is due. And, then my case will eventual resolved by time. If so, what is the difference for me to file this law suit?!

What else I should do to make DA/USCIS work on my case? (By the way, my name check has been finished)

Thanks,

After agonizing 4 years, I am an US Citizen as of yesterday; and in the process I developed a great respect for the Judicial System in this country. However, please do read my posting, USCIS tried to mess with me even during the Oath day and I was the last person to be able to sign and get the certificate.

I applied in April 2nd, 2004 and got interviewed on August 27, 2004. Since than, there was only 1 response - FBI Name Check.

Anyway, after thinking about doing a lawsuit for almost 2 years (analysis, paralysis), i finally filed a WOM at SDNY through a lawyer.

Initially, i though i would do it por se and i have done my home work to even go through. I have heard of people having problem and here and there, so decided to go through a lawyer; just as i would take a friend to go buy a car.

Anyway, filed my lawsuit on March 27th 2008. April 1st, a letter was issued by USCIS for finger printing on the 16th of April. A invitation for Oath caremony on May 9th was issued on April 17th. I was amazed at the speed and the efficiency of the USCIS.

In the mean time, DA contacted my lawyer to dismiss the case. However lawyer wanted to wait for the Oath Ceremenoy.

Now the surprises started coming. I get a letter on the mail on May 6th for me to appear with 2 copies of my picture on 6th, the very same day. It was mailed the day before on the 5th. I was lucky to be in the proximity of the USCIS office with about 2 hours in hand. So i delivered the pictures. I only wonder what might have happened if that wasn't possible.

Now comes the biggest hurdle. I show up at EDNY for the Oath ceremony. I submit my signed invitation with some of the questions answered "YES" (got married, travelled outside the US 4 times none exceeding 25 days and got 2 traffic tickets). I had proof oof all these activites just as the letter asked me to provide. Now the guy balks and says there are a lot of changes and i will need to go back to the USCIS office to have my file reopened and re-evaluated. He wrote up a "Motion to Reopen" document. He called the USCIS office and asked me to wait.

I left the court house and called my lawyer. He showed up in 15 minutes and went to talk to this Officer. However, the tone right away changed when he spoke to my lawyer and saw the Civil Complaint pending in front of the court. The thing that got his attention was when my lawyer asked his name and jotted it down. He says, "i don't see any probelm since all events are documented and just needs to call his supervisor back". 10 minutes in to it, i was called to sign my naturalization. Took the Oath and left the courtroom with new found respect for the Judical System.

So word of advice,
- don't wait too long after interview if you are going to sue. 120 days is all you need. Prolonging will increase the probability of having things go wrong.
- You can go pro see, but you get what you pay for. I certainly would have been emotional dealing with DA and the USCIS in situations like what i have mentioned. Looking back, the lawyer fee was not a waste. If you do go pro se, be familiar with all the USC stuff.
- Take all the paperwork to the oath ceremony
- If you had traffic tickets, take a DMV record
- If you traveled outside the US, take your passport with you.

Just in case you are curious, my attorney was Micahel Walker & Gary Yerman @ (212) 219-2374. I paid a flat fee of $2500 + Filing Fee of $350.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mohakem:

I have been waiting for almost two and half years since my interview with USCIS for my Naturalization application. And I am considering a law suit. I agree with you on that USCIS probably will take your complaint more seriously, if you hire a lawyer to file your complaint. However, I saw some complaints in my district court file by lawyers in my district used copies of their clients' drivers license and permanent resident card as exhibits.
Obviously, if one were to hire a lawyer, and one needs a good one.

So your lawyer used WOM even if you have the interview. What other statues he used on your lawsuit? I am interested in knowing what I need to put in the lawsuit besides 1447b.

Thanks!

After agonizing 4 years, I am an US Citizen as of yesterday; and in the process I developed a great respect for the Judicial System in this country. However, please do read my posting, USCIS tried to mess with me even during the Oath day and I was the last person to be able to sign and get the certificate.

Because as per USCIS, his namecheck wasn't finished yet so only using 1447(b) would make the case a little weak so that's why his attorney used WOM to compel all the agencies work efficiently. If you have the valid proof of the completion of FBI namecheck then 1447(b) alone would work just fine. Mine 2 cents...

Hi Mohakem:

I have been waiting for almost two and half years since my interview with USCIS for my Naturalization application. And I am considering a law suit. I agree with you on that USCIS probably will take your complaint more seriously, if you hire a lawyer to file your complaint. However, I saw some complaints in my district court file by lawyers in my district used copies of their clients' drivers license and permanent resident card as exhibits.

So your lawyer used WOM even if you have the interview. What other statues he used on your lawsuit? I am interested in knowing what I need to put in the lawsuit besides 1447b.

Thanks!

My name check hasn't been completed yet... So I need to use all legal measures.

Because as per USCIS, his namecheck wasn't finished yet so only using 1447(b) would make the case a little weak so that's why his attorney used WOM to compel all the agencies work efficiently. If you have the valid proof of the completion of FBI namecheck then 1447(b) alone would work just fine. Mine 2 cents...

First extension is fine but if AUSA asks for another 60days extension then file Prelimnary Injunction immediately to stop it. It's not your problem if they are busy and have court to get you Oath rather than remanding it to USCIS. Even if they adjudicate it during this time then you are off the hook as your lawsuit had triggered it to accomplish. If you sit tight and do nothing then there is not guarantee that those slackers would do it even after 4 years. Choice is absolutely yours....

Thanks a lot for all your help.

My husband just called DA office today. He only got chance to talk to some kind of secretary lady there. The lady told my husband that they informed USCIS about case and asked us to wait until 3 weeks before 60 days deadline. They said USCIS has a lot of law cases to deal, so mine is just in the queue.

I feel that DA office is not really working on my case, and am worried that they just do nothing for now and ask for extension when 60 days is due. And, then my case will eventual resolved by time. If so, what is the difference for me to file this law suit?!

What else I should do to make DA/USCIS work on my case? (By the way, my name check has been finished)

Thanks,

I talked to one lawyer before deciding go pro se 1447(b).

The lawyer quoted 2500$ plus 455$ law suit fee, but she will need 5 months to do the job.

I thought pro se will be faster since we are only working on one case, while the lawyer might be looking at multiple cases at the same time.

Btw, OK_Boy, here is the complaint I filed. Let me know if you have any ideas.

I wonder if a pro se plaintiff can still hire a lawyer after he/she files the lawsuit. If things don't go well for the pro se plaintiff, and he/she can't handle it, can the lawyer takes over the case?

Thanks

sweetapple,
I used the following exhibits:
- N400 receipt
- Interview Result given after the interview
- FOIA response from FBI
- Response from Local USCIS
- Response from USCIS
- Email response from FBI stating name check is in progress (No longer available via email)
- Response from Congressman
- Copy of the Green Card

I will post the WOM complaint once i get a chance to scan it.

Try to file it in a court that already had similar cases resolved under on the plaintiffs benefit. My lawyer filed the lawsuit in SDNY instead of EDNY. The USAA tried to get the case dismissed, however by law the case can be filed in any jurisdiction as long as one of the defendant resides in that district. Since USCIS-NY office was in Manhattan, NY, the case went through.

Hi Mohakem:

Thanks!