your thoughts? any help is appreciated

steve. d

Registered Users (C)
Hi all, just asking for any help or advice you could give me, I came to the USA from Australia on the visa waiver program, basically to meet a friend of mine for the 1st time (didnt intend on marrying). Well after a few months together we did fall in love and wanted to get married but knew there was going to be visa problems. We both didnt want me flying back to Australia, trying to work enough to get enough money to come back to the USA all over again, so to cut a long story short we got married. We were married on May 29, and my permission to stay in the USA ends on June 20. Ive contacted the INS to have the I765, I485,I130 and I131 forms sent to me.If any of you could help me with any advice you have with these forms or with the whole application process, no matter how small,i would appreciate it greatly as i cannot afford a lawyer at the moment and will be going through all this with just me and my wife.Thank you

Married to a US Citizen

Congratulation on your marriage!

Based on your information and assuming your wife is an American Citizen. If so, she will need to submit the following forms to the INS Service Center: I-130, I-485, I-765 (work authorization) and I-131 (Advance Parole, if necessary). Carefully fill out the forms and submit the INS fees, photos, medical examination report and all the necessary documents, such as copy of Marriage Certificate, prove of her US Citizenship, etc. to your nearest local INS Office.

For further information such as the list of fees, and where to file, please visit the INS website and/or contact their Customer Service no: 1-800-375-5283.

You may want to continue visiting the forum, where almost all of your questions will be answered.

Good Luck!
Homa

The writer of this message is not a lawyer and this message is not meant to be legal advice. Before relying on this information, you must consult a lawyer on the facts of your specific case. The Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna takes no responsibility for the accuracy of this information.

understood

yes she is a US citizen and thank you for the information. I have requested the forms and im just waiting for them to arrive in the mail.The only problem i have is the fees. I basically paid for my marriage and it has left me broke. I was going to apply to have the fees waivered (as i have seen on the INS website)...or if its possible to ask to pay them at a later date. Does anyone see any problems doing this? or will it effect my interview ? I want to show the INS that this marriage isnt some sham, I love my wife, and as soon as im permitted to work here i intend to find employment. I have no intention of being a burden to the US government. But how to i put my point over to the INS? ive been in the USA almost 3 months now, and with the travelling and expenses and the marriage im basically out of money for about 6 weeks (when i receive a check from home), but i have to send my forms into the INS within the next 3 weeks before my visa expires

oh, just 1 more thing

the medical examination. When do i organise this? or does the INS? and where do i have the examination done? Im in Ohio, in Columbus..so not really close to Cleveland or Cincinnati? Im sorry if these questions are a little basic but im just haveing problems understanding what i should do on the INS website

Form I-693 (Medical Examination )

The medical examination is part of the process when filing for permanent residence. You will need to submit Form I-693, along with the other required forms. Form I-693 should be only filled out by a doctor, who has been certified by the INS. It is your responsibility to set up an appointment and provide the results to the INS.

For a list of certified doctors in your area, please visit: http://www.immigration.com/dr/

Good Luck,
Homa

The writer of this message is not a lawyer and this message is not meant to be legal advice. Before relying on this information, you must consult a lawyer on the facts of your specific case. The Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna takes no responsibility for the accuracy of this information.

Hope this he

This might in fact affect your case instead of proving to INS that your marriage isn\'t a sham. They might see you as a "future burden" if they realise that your wife (the petitioner) is not in a position (financially) to petition for you. The total package is gonna cost $665 (i-130, i-485, i-765 & i-131) Medical is $90 - $250. Your wife\'s income should exceed the poverty level by 125% (at current, for two people it is about $12,000. - 14000. if my memory serves me correct). Consult a lawyer. Some lawyers offer free consultation.

To prove that a marriage isn\'t a sham INS needs much more than that, eg. residence together, joint bank accounts, insurance etc, or even a child from the union. but these are usually asked for at the time of interview, so you have plenty of time.

Good Luck!!

i understand

i understand about the problem with my wifes financial position,and shes looking for work all the time.
Also are you sure about the medical exam being that price? i called to make an appointment and they told me $350-$600 depending on what immunisations ive had.
And i know i get the work authorisation in about 4 weeks after sending off the forms, so that gives me a few months to get work before the interview correct? IF i get work before my interview date wouldnt that help my chances and prove i wouldnt be a future burden?

i understand

i understand about the problem with my wifes financial position,and shes looking for work all the time.
Also are you sure about the medical exam being that price? i called to make an appointment and they told me $350-$600 depending on what immunisations ive had.
And i know i get the work authorisation in about 4 weeks after sending off the forms, so that gives me a few months to get work before the interview correct? IF i get work before my interview date wouldnt that help my chances and prove i wouldnt be a future burden?

i understand