Your job title and nasty greencard wait

GCdreamer2006

Registered Users (C)
Since there is no USCIS activity in the last one year, let me launch another off-topic (better than making predicitions).

I am getting my resume ready for the day my GC gets processed.

The question is, my job title has been "Systems Administrator" for over long, long five years. Over five years, I have been doing way more things than that, but neither my employer nor myself bothered to mess with updating the title, since that would incurr additional burden in the immigration process with USCIS.

My question is, do you guys plan to put something on your resume that reflects whatever you have been doing over the years, even though that may not be your official title ? Description matters a lot, but the reality is that many times when screening the resume, if the title doesn't reflect a certain job profile HR and even hiring managers tend to toss the resume out right away. For example, I am wondering if I list in my resume a title such as "Senior Network Engineer/ Systems Administrator" (the second title is the official one) that would be OK ?

I would take a letter from employer outlining job duties to make sure they are reflect whatever title I decide to list. If I explore that route, I am wondering when it would be the best time to clarify that the official title is the one after "/", since definitely employers would check that.

What's your perception ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it makes a lot of sense to have the right job title. You are correc that resumes with bad titles get tossed out quickly because no body goes into the pain of actually reading the whole resume while pre-screening candidates. And let's not forget, the first level of pre-screeners are not well trained/educated to begin with. Having something like Senior, Lead etcm if used fairly can help you score an interview, what you do in interview is up to you plus lot of luck.

Here ..

Lead System Architect (Network Ops)
Chief Architect (Networks and Systems)
Principle Architect (Networks)

i think looking for job resume does not matter....as long as the resume that goes to uscis (or one which may be used for labor) is official sounding...

Trust me, the day I get this GC the last thing I want to hear about is what the USCIS thinks about my resume :)

techy2468 said:
i think looking for job resume does not matter....as long as the resume that goes to uscis (or one which may be used for labor) is official sounding...