Young TN hopeful in need of expert opinions and answers

Breggo13

Hi. I am a young professional (data analyst) with limited work experience who is starting to look for a job in Quad Cities area (Iowa/Illinois border) to live with my Canadian boyfriend currently studying in Davenport. I have a few questions and concerns I would love clarification on

1. Does the amount of work experience matter? I have a bachelor of commerce degree from McGill university with a minor in computer science and certification in Database Administration from University of Waterloo. My current experience is limited to a total of approx. 7 months of work (current employer hired as data analyst).

2. What address is more beneficial to apply to jobs with - Canadian or future US? - I am going to be living with my boyfriend in the states and as he already has a US address in the area I want to move to, I want to know what is the better address to indicate during my job search? In that vein, any suggestions on how to handle interview offers when I am in Toronto (would asking for Skype be okay?)

3. With my degree, can I apply as a Computer Science Analyst or will I be redirected to the Management Consultant stream? Lots of worry about this one. Any inside knowledge helpful.

4. Any companies you recommend to work with to ensure all documents for TN are perfect and to improve chances to succeed? I know that many many people do it themselves however, I feel already fighting a pretty uphill battle and don't want to be denied TN status due to paperwork.

5. Can anyone give me a link or examples for a job responsibilities that fall under both types of TN visas (Management Consultant and Computer Science Analyst)? Been trying to find at least some examples to see what jobs can 'qualify' in the massive sea of potential applications but seem to be failing.

6. Any other recommendations, suggestions, etc? Especially if you were applying in a similar situation.

Thank you!!!

1. Most TNs can/must be awarded solely on the basis of your degree. Ecperince only counts if you don't have a degree, for most categories.
2. Absolutely do NOT list a US addres, since you have no right to live in US until you get a TN. Never mention the boyfriend when crossing border.
3. Yeah, your degree is problematic, as it doesn't really mesh with any category, including management consultant, which one of those categories that prefers experience. Your cert must be a two year diploma, and that's when you need the 3 years experience.

6. Contemplate marriage to an American, or working for 3 more years in Canada.

2. use your Canadian address. When I applied for US jobs I used my Canadian Address, Canadian phone number, I put "eligible for TN status" on my resume and cover letter, I answered NO when when asked if I have the right to work in the USA in online application. If an employer wants you they will know about sponsoring employees.

6. maybe try the website https://www.myvisajobs.com/ as these companies have history of sponsoring employees in the past.

While I agree with the previous replies 100% from an immigration perspective, from a job search perspective it might not be a bad idea to use the US address. I've seen job listings that say "must have a personal reason to be in <city>" where <city> was a Midwest US city (although not in the Quad Cities area). Presumably there is concern that if someone applies for an IT job outside the major tech centers like Silicon Valley, they will stay only until they get a job in one of the more major areas. The "personal reason" increases the chance that they stay in the city where the job is--ie Quad Cities in this case.

Of course, in Breggo13's case, they might still have concern that Breggo13 will stay only until the boyfriend graduates and then they'll both relocate elsewhere. So Breggo13 will need to use judgment to decide how much to mention. My point is that having a personal connection to the area beyond simply the job is sometimes very important to employers.

I agree with amber: they want you, they will take you from anywhere. CBP can find her resume when she crosses, and that would be the end for her

her troubles are she doesn't have the qualifications.

Last edited:
When job-hunting, you absolutely should list a USA address in the vicinity of the area where you want to work.

There is literally no reason not to do it, and putting an address outside the geographic area can only reduce your options.

To the OP ... I think nelsona's point us very important. If CBP finds a resume with your us address, they'll likely deny you entry. If I were you, I'd not list the address. Good luck

The information of her current situation, which VERY specific to the particular outposts that she is trying to land could be mentioned in the cover letter or a note. Not any silliness about the boyfriend and his aspirations, but the fact that you are often in the area for a possible interview.