Yet another Hurdle for CIR

misleading at best

saras76 said:
guldukan,
They wouldn't care if it took us 20 years to get the GC.I do not recall a single immigration bill that exclusively tackled problems related with the legal immigration community. I keep repeating this again and again that the only reason legal provisions are even being considered is because illegal immigration has become a problem (or is being made to seem like a big problem in this election year). Lets not be naive idiots by assuming that the Senate and the House will even consider a bill for legals...
saras

I've found four bills that became laws.

In 2000, three significant pieces of legislation affecting H nonimmigrants were enacted. On October 17, 2000, the President approved enactment of The American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act of 2000 (AC21), Public Law 106-313. On the same date, the President also approved enactment of Public Law 106-311, an untitled bill to increase the fee for certain H-1B petitions. Finally, on October 30, 2000, the President approved enactment of Public Law 106-396, the Visa Waiver Permanent Program Act (Visa Waiver Act).

On November 2, 2002, President Bush signed into law the Twenty-First Century Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act (21st Century DOJ Appropriations Act). One section of the new law amends § 106(a) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act (AC21) by making the following change: Public Law 107-273 removes the six-year limitation on H-1B status for certain aliens on whose behalf an alien labor certification or employment-based (EB) immigrant petition has been pending for 365 days or more.

Are you growing too old to remember thing? Or is it your pretension to promote illegal immigration?

Tell you one thing, CIR is doomed and illegal aliens, along with thieves, robbers, and rapers, SHALL go to hell:)

so all illegals are those things?

and i will bet anything that most of those laws got a fight from people like tancredo and things like that.

That's why I keep saying, but people don't get it. It is all about balance. Heck, everyone knows how important immigration is. However, there is a limit. Yes, people like Tancredo are too tough, even on legal immigration. However, what fuels the sentiment on people like Tancredo is the abuse and insane bills such as backed by the Senate. If the Senate and supporters of illegal aliens could back off, we could all benefit. But no, people continue to push to the limit. For every action there is a reaction, and here is where we may be headed to:
Fresh news

Tancredo Wins Straw Poll in Michigan
by Robert B. Bluey — 06-05-2006 @ 10:51 PM

Rep. Tom Tancredo's get-tough-first attitude on immigration reform is having a positive impact on his possible presidential run in 2008. The Colorado Republican won tonight's GOP straw poll in Macomb County, Mich., located in the Detroit metro area.

Tancredo took about 18% of the vote of 325 votes cast at the Lincoln Day Dinner. Although it was only a plurality on a fractured GOP ballot, Tancredo beat out GOP heavyweights Rudy Giuliani, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Here are the complete results, courtesy of Michigan GOP Chairman Saul Anuzis:

Candidate Votes Percent
Tom Tancredo 60 18.5%
Rudy Giuliani 45 13.8%
Mitt Romney 40 12.3%
Condi Rice 39 12.0%
Newt Gingrich 38 11.7%
John McCain 38 11.7%
George Allen 21 6.5%
Mike Pence 15 4.6%
Ron Paul 14 4.3%
Mike Huckabee 6 1.8%
Bill Frist 4 1.2%
Alan Keyes 2 0.6%
Candice Miller 2 0.6%
Sam Brownback 1 0.3%

Piggy back ..

"Are you growing too old to remember thing? Or is it your pretension to promote illegal immigration?"

mummiezed,

Your comments above are hilarious. I guess my reply to your previous post must have really bothered you :). Nice try at taking a shot at me. I may be growing to old but you seriously need to grow up :).

As for the so called bills that have been passed for "legals". All of them dealt primarily with H1Bs or illegals. My point is that a bill purely for EB workers will not fly. We EBs will always piggy back on H1Bs or some other major bill. There is no "will" to help us. You may live in some dream world where EB workers are treated fairly but in the real world most of us know that EB worker provisions are the least of law makers worries.

I would also like to add that I am not for or against illegal immigration. I am only concerned about my own case. I would be lieing if I said that I would refuse my GC if the only way to get it was for 13 million illegals to get amnesty. Almost all of us EBs would go for it. I am just being realisitc and honest.

Also, you seem to be obsessed with sending people to hell .. are you an agent of hell or something? .. hmmm .. what does that make you? :) .. just kidding ...

regards,

saras

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that bringing a bill which deals with EB GC only is unlikely. Attaching our case to H1B, since that is backed by corporations, yes, I think that is very possible.

S.1932 was a legal, skilled employment bill, and it was introduced in the senate. It died because because it was very inappropriate bringing an immigration bill to be attached to a budget provision. I am sure that the Microsoft and other organizations are still pumping requests for increase of H1B visas, in which our causes could get a ride as well. I believe that if S.1932 would be revived, it could have a credible chance to be discussed and passed.
In my view, if we have money asking people like Sen. Specter to include provisions pro immigration is the easy part. Pay a reputable lobbyist and that is it. The man behaves like Santa Claus himself. The difficult part is now creating strategies to make this bill survive through the house conference.

By the way, in spite of all bad reputation, a Republican anti illegal alien amnesty won a seat in congress yesterday. This just makes the support to CIR even more difficult.
http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/060706/bilbray.html

saras76 said:
"Are you growing too old to remember thing? Or is it your pretension to promote illegal immigration?"

mummiezed,

Your comments above are hilarious. I guess my reply to your previous post must have really bothered you :). Nice try at taking a shot at me. I may be growing to old but you seriously need to grow up :).

As for the so called bills that have been passed for "legals". All of them dealt primarily with H1Bs or illegals. My point is that a bill purely for EB workers will not fly. We EBs will always piggy back on H1Bs or some other major bill. There is no "will" to help us. You may live in some dream world where EB workers are treated fairly but in the real world most of us know that EB worker provisions are the least of law makers worries.

I would also like to add that I am not for or against illegal immigration. I am only concerned about my own case. I would be lieing if I said that I would refuse my GC if the only way to get it was for 13 million illegals to get amnesty. Almost all of us EBs would go for it. I am just being realisitc and honest.

Also, you seem to be obsessed with sending people to hell .. are you an agent of hell or something? .. hmmm .. what does that make you? :) .. just kidding ...

regards,

saras

By the way, in spite of all bad reputation, a Republican anti illegal alien amnesty won a seat in congress yesterday. This just makes the support to CIR even more difficult.

yes, but is one seat. and that was just about the only highlight of like six primaries. is a non-issue.

Ah, ah. Non-issue, the man took off from 15% to 49%+ percent after taking a stance against illegal immigration. Although this is one seat, this may have repercussions because it should send a message to the House and other politicians on what their position should be. We don't need to debate this now, let's wait and see.

TheInquisitor said:
yes, but is one seat. and that was just about the only highlight of like six primaries. is a non-issue.

trust me, it there wasn't going to be a bill, itisn't going to be because of this. period. and didn't help matters that the dem (a dem, not another rep. keep that in mind) was saying that one didn't have to be a citizen to vote. had it been rep that was for a fence and all that fun stuff and some kind of amnesty, then perhaps your point would be valid.

I don't follow your logic regarding the adversary candidate who encouraged illegal folks to vote for her. That just shows that people are paying attention to the immigration issue and just reinforces the point. Republicans gained a bad reputation. Winning even by a narrow margin is something noticeable.
I agree that this is not the reason why CIR may stall. It may be just an indication of a trend though.

From teamamericapac.org
"...
With your help, all three Team America endorsed candidates won in California. Brian Bilbray won a tight race to replace Randy "Duke" Cunnningham" in California's 50th. Bilbray ran strong on border security, while his Democratic opponent Francine Busby encouraged illegal aliens to vote for her!! READ MORE ON BILBRAY'S VICTORY

Tony Dolz, the Team America endorsed candidate for California's 41st assembly district won in a 76% landslide. Martin Garrick, the candidate we supported in California's 74th Assembly district is expected to win, though all the precincts are not in yet. Both Dolz and Garrick have a long record of supporting border security

TheInquisitor said:
trust me, it there wasn't going to be a bill, itisn't going to be because of this. period. and didn't help matters that the dem (a dem, not another rep. keep that in mind) was saying that one didn't have to be a citizen to vote. had it been rep that was for a fence and all that fun stuff and some kind of amnesty, then perhaps your point would be valid.

TheInquisitor,
marlon2006 had a point. He/she is trying to highlight the sentiments of the general public as well as the repercussions of winning this single seat to other representatives facing the midterm election. At the end of the day, a Republican won, but he sent out a clear message that he won because he did not see eye-to-eye with the President on the comprehensive immigration reform issue!
I believe that no bill will be passed by Congress on CIR this year since the two versions of this bill cannot be recoinciled (realistically). A miracle might happen if the President and the White House staffs provide considerable leadership and pressure the House members on this matter.