Wrong DS 2019

tran0822

Hi there!

I came to the US under J1 without 2 year residency requirement in 2006. I completed my undergrad program and am going to do my MBA at the same university. However, after I submitted my DS 2019 to update it, it came back with 2 year residency requirement. I already talked to the officer at the International student office at my university and she said she had no idea why. I wasn't sponsored by government here in the US nor in my country. Did anyone have this problem before? I know a couple of my friends had this problem, but none of them do anything since they aren't intending to stay in the US after graduation. Please advice me of what to do! I would really appreciate your help.

There are a number of criteria to be subject to the two- year rule. A common one is the skill list based on your country of residence. Even though you are not funded by the government, you may be subject to the rule based on your field of work.

If you believe that you should not be subject to the rule, you can request for the advisory option. They will reevaluate your case again. Please note that the process take a considerable amount of time.

Thank you pk_net! I have checked and my country is not in the skill list. The odd is that my original DS 2019 I obtained back home 4 years ago said that I am not subjected, but the new one that I obtained here say I am. It said that the advisory option might take 4 months...
Also, it checked on the government financial funding on the new DS 2019. I was sponsored by a company, not government. Should I do a petition? I never heard anyone from my country receive a No Objection Letter before =( so I might not be able to do waiver.

If you suspect that this is an error on their side, you should request for the advisory option (not a waiver).