working remote for US client from Canada

vantormon

I am a landed Canada PR. I registered a company in Canada and I am the only employee. I am an independent computer consultant. Before coming to Canada I was working in the US for 3 years on H1B. My H1B is no longer valid. My US client is ok with me working remotely from Canada. I may be required to attend meetings once in 2-3 months. The client will pay my company that I registered in Canada.

What do I need to give my client for them to pay my company for the services done? Do I need to get special permission, license from US and/or Canada? Do I need to pay any taxes in US (federal and state)? It will be great if someone explains me the details one needs to know, is there a website I can check these details. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not a GC holder and do not live in USA. Also, make sure that the physical presence test (for the tax return filing requirement) on the irs website is negative for you. If all this is true, then you do not have to file US tax return.

In the light of this, ask your client to pay your company without withholding any US taxes. Ask them what information they need from you, in order for them to pay you. Clearly, since you are a PR of Canada and your company is based in Canada (and you will be working from Canada), you do not need any special permission/visa/work authorization from the US. Therefore, you will be required to pay the cdn taxes on the money you receive from your client.

I am a landed Canada PR. I registered a company in Canada and I am the only employee. I am an independent computer consultant. Before coming to Canada I was working in the US for 3 years on H1B. My H1B is no longer valid. My US client is ok with me working remotely from Canada. I may be required to attend meetings once in 2-3 months. The client will pay my company that I registered in Canada.

What do I need to give my client for them to pay my company for the services done? Do I need to get special permission, license from US and/or Canada? Do I need to pay any taxes in US (federal and state)? It will be great if someone explains me the details one needs to know, is there a website I can check these details. Thanks for your time.

Hi there,

I am in similar stiuation. I have canada PR and I am in US on my H1B. As I have few client from Canada as well as USA lined for some consulting work, I am planning to open a firm there.

My question is can work remotley for my company in CANADA while being in US on H1B.

Thanks in advance for your help.