Working in US and living in Canada

Sand_999

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and US H-1b visa holder.I plan to move to Windsor, ON permanently in a couple of months. My job in US is 100% travel. I would like to live in Windsor and work in US and commute every week from Detroit airport.

I am concerned about a couple of things,

1. How bad is the weekly commute going to be across the border? Do I have to get my passport stamped every time I enter US and Canada and go through the hassle of immigration?

2. How will be my taxes calculated? How bad will it be to pay both US and Canadian taxes since I will reside in Canada and work in US?

3. Since I will be out of the Canada Mon - Thurs, how will it affect my citizenship time line? Will I have to declare all the days I am out of the country and not still pay both taxes? That seems like a bad deal to me as it might take like 6- 7 years for Canadian Citizenship as I will live in Canada only 3 or 4 nights a week.

Please advice

2. How will be my taxes calculated? How bad will it be to pay both US and Canadian taxes since I will reside in Canada and work in US?

-- You will pay the taxes in US and also in Canada. However, you will be able to get a foreign tax credit. You need to see an accountant who specializes in US-Canada taxation. Your tax return could be complex.

3. Since I will be out of the Canada Mon - Thurs, how will it affect my citizenship time line? Will I have to declare all the days I am out of the country and not still pay both taxes? That seems like a bad deal to me as it might take like 6- 7 years for Canadian Citizenship as I will live in Canada only 3 or 4 nights a week.

-- Yes, you will be paying higher taxes than a person living in Canada alone and you can count only the days that you lived in Canada for the citizenship purpose.

That all depends on several factors. Which state in the US? Which province in Canada? If your US side tax bill is lower than the Canadian side, you will pay the US share first and then remainder goes to the Canadian sides. If the US side is higher (not likely but still possible), then your do not pay anything on the Canadian side.

Need Guidance

Hi,
I landed in Canada 2006 year end. I work in USA, I married in 2007 and sponsored my wife from my canadian Address.
My idea is to setup branch of my company in Canada and work for that company in US for H1. However till now I've not been successful towards that goal.
My sponsorship application was approved in Canada but the Visa officer in US has sent letter to my wife giving proof that I work and stay in Canada and can support her financially.
Can you please guide me what do I need to do in the current case?

1) Can I register one branch of my US employer in Canada and show that I work for Canadian Company in USA (If yes, what are the steps)

2) Or would it better to just show that I have income in canada and file the taxes?

Thanks much

Migrate to Canada

I'm holding a U.S. Greencard for the past 4 years now. I would like to relocate to Windsor end of this year and commute to Detroit once a week. I'm working for an American company, but I want to be with my wife who does not have a visa to the U.S. at this moment (for another year or two). I'd like to know,

1) what kind of visa/immigration status I should apply for, since I'll be in Windsor for at least a year or two?

2) Can I sponsor my wife to come to the US while we're living in Canada?

3) How difficult to setup an IT company in Canada? I may need to get paid in Canadian dollar according to the previous posts in this forum ?

Thanks in advance.

Question - I am in US on H1B and have an approved Canadian PR (landed immigrant). I plan to move to Canada and work remotely for my client in US (as an IT consultant I can do this and my clients are ok with it).

I wanted to know if this could pose any issues related to my GC app in US (485 filed) and also, at the Port of Entry in US or Canada. I will need to travel to US once in 2-3 months for any client meetings but for most part, I can work from my home.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Question - I am in US on H1B and have an approved Canadian PR (landed immigrant). I plan to move to Canada and work remotely for my client in US (as an IT consultant I can do this and my clients are ok with it).

I wanted to know if this could pose any issues related to my GC app in US (485 filed) and also, at the Port of Entry in US or Canada. I will need to travel to US once in 2-3 months for any client meetings but for most part, I can work from my home.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I-485 is an Adjustment of Status while you are IN THE US. If you are living outside of the US, it could certainly pose issue(s) regarding your AOS application and also questions at the POE when crossing the border.

Ok, but will it be an issue if I do maintain my US address and continue to receive my paycheck at the US address. I'll just physically be in Canada. [I'll be on the apt lease and will stay there everytime I return to US]

I'll just physically be in Canada.

-- Your statement above explains the issue. You just have to be PHYSICALLY IN THE US for the AOS purpose. You can be travelling outside the US for business/vacation but you have to live in the US. What you are saying is just the opposite.