Working in the US

jdamude

I'm a Canadian living in Canada. I have been offered employment in the U.S.A with a L1A Visa. A lot questions come to my mind that I need help with. (1) What do I do when the Visa expires?(2) What is the taxation rules?(3) Do I still have to pay into Canada Pension.(3) Will I be able to collect the U.S federal pension.(4) Is it beneficial to be involved in the company 401k plan. We want to remain living in Canada and commute back and forth daily.

Thanks

Options change depending on whether your employer sponsors you for green card or whether you want to consider immigrating to US.

L1A is for 7 years and if you donot wish to take immigration to US, you can pursue TN visa which is one year period which is renewable indefinitely.

If you live in Canada and commute, that period cannot be considered as valid residence for green card purpose.

If you keep any ties with Canada like living there or family there or a house or a health card or a driving licence, you will be taxed as canadian resident at canadian rates by converting salary to Canadian dollars.

If you have plan to live in US and consider green card option, you must break all ties with Canada like bank account, public library card, club membership etc. If you own a house in Canada and live in that house even for a brief period, Canada Revenue Agency will consider you as canadian resident and charge you income tax for full period since you left country

US and Canada have agreement to combine social security or Canada pension plan contributions