Working in IT with Electronics and Communication Engineering Degree and Diploma in Computer Tech(three years). Am i elgible for TN visa

balapon

Hi,

I am a canadian citizen and working in IT for 15 years with Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication degree and have Diploma in Computer Technology (3 years - considered as secondary school diploma equivalent as Done this three year diploma after 10th grade then done the Bachelor of Engg in ECE) - total 16 years of education in India. Can you guys please let me know whether i can be elgible to get TN visa or i need to try H1B to work in the US. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

If you get an Engineering job, sure. For IT job, not so clear.
Unfortunately, you experience doesn't count since your diploma is (a) not post-secondary and (b) is not from North America, which is a specific condition for TN.

I would try TN, but be prepared to have to go the H10B route,

If you get an Engineering job, sure. For IT job, not so clear.
Unfortunately, you experience doesn't count since your diploma is (a) not post-secondary and (b) is not from North America, which is a specific condition for TN.

I would try TN, but be prepared to have to go the H10B route,

Thanks for your inputs. In the past i have done the WES evaluation of my degree credentails and got the 4 year equivalent degree for combined of(BE + Diploma). But my computer diploma comes in secondary level education . Is that the reason you are saying my computer education doesnt count for TN IT job entry?

Yes. Experience only counts (for the TN categories that even allow it) in combination with post-secondary diploma plus 3 years experience.

So your TN application must stand on your degree only.

Hi @nelsona I have done my educational credential evaluation in WES and they have classified the Diploma in Computer technology as High school diploma and associate degree in US equivalency and study duration is three years. But after that i had done Electronics and Communication Engineering and it was classifed as Bachelors Degree and the study duration is four years. Could you please tell me whether this High school diploma and associate degree on Computer technology in US equivalency helps me to get TN visa in IT related job

Forget the High school stuff. It is irrelevant.
Find the job, and then show up at the border with your quals (your non-high school equivalencies, and experience letters), and you will see which will qualify you.