Working for family business based in india from usa on l2 visa.

gsona

Hi,
I came USA on l2 visa, already applied for EAD.
I have a small family based business basically an online store selling indian clothes.
Can they send me a bulk shipment and i later ship them as per orders here in USA.
Basically, what i will do here is just marketing, or may be contacting some stores and supplying
There is no money involved .
DO I need any legal permissions for doing same from my home.

Thanks.

Why would you want to jeopardize your legal status for no payment? Or alternatively, the way USCIS and IRS could interpret is that you saved money for your business which is parked in your native country and will be accessible to to at any time. It does not matter that you were not paid any compensation for your work at this time. As you very well know in your heart that you will be working, doing marketing, putting packages together, taking a trip to the post office, making phone calls, keeping track of orders, etc.

BTW, you could do the right thing by hiring a part time American college student and get this done with very little expense. And then you will go to sleep each night knowing in your heart that you broke no US laws and if you ever decide to file for permanent residence, you will not stress about this unlawful past. I get amazed by how many immigrants jeopardize their prospect for a green card or citizenship by doing small things like this, saving a little bit of money here and there hoping that they would not get caught, but with all the emails and phone calls you will make, the post office charges that you will have on your credit card, and all sorts of accounts you will have for shipping with Fedex/UPS will create such a huge paper trail that it will be hard to deny that you were running a home based business.