Work visa for live in help position??

Discussion in 'PERM' started by sarahsarah, Jul 13, 2016.

  1. sarahsarah

    sarahsarah New Member

    Is there a possibility of obtaining a work visa for a live in help position, where I would be working for my bed and board and also receiving a small stipend?

    This would appear to be a position that a US citizen may not want, which would therefore fulfill the requirements for the Labor Certificate, but would they need to see that I am earning a wage?

    Many thanks for your help
  2. 1AurCitizen

    1AurCitizen Registered Users (C)

    Your understanding is incorrect.
    The requirement is roughly paraphrasing.. ..a position that a US person is not available to fulfill the requirements for, based on the prevailing wage..".

    There appear to be plenty of Americans available to work live-in.
  3. sarahsarah

    sarahsarah New Member

    Does your response mean that you believe that this would not be a route to obtaining a work visa, due to plenty of Americans being available to take a live-in position? I am interested in whether there is any mileage in trying for a work visa through this method.

    I was presuming (maybe incorrectly) that US citizens may not be so willing to take a live in postion, possibly preferring to earn a wage
  4. 1AurCitizen

    1AurCitizen Registered Users (C)

    Work visas are for hard to fill positions, not sure the position that you're after, qualifies. But you can give it a shot by contacting the attorneys for your potential employer who would petition you and initiate the work visa process.
  5. sarahsarah

    sarahsarah New Member

    Thanks. I guess my main question is whether it would be possible to obtain a visa for a position that is more of a work exchange than paid employment. Is the level of wage an important consideration for obtaining a work visa?
    mikevolpe11 likes this.
  6. mikevolpe11

    mikevolpe11 New Member

    I really like the informative discussion.

Share This Page