withdraw from NAFTA by P0TUS

USExpat

is that possible and when would he likely do it if no new agreement were to be made by May 17/18 (deadline for current congress to vote per Paul Ryan) or June 1 (the extended deadline for steel/aluminum tariff which he set as a stick for CAD/MX to reach a new nafta agreement)? any thoughts? Thx.

hi Nelson or any expert here could you please share your thoughts? My employer is planning to file Premium Processing (i-129) this week.
I am really concerned the risk of an announcement of pulling out of nafta in the next a couple weeks. is it remote or real?
would border stop approving TN immediately after the pulling out or is there a 6 month period per current NAFTA?
should the best strategy now be rushing to border to get approval asap rather than filing i129 as it takes more time?

Thanks a lot for advice in advance.

If/when NAFTA dies, then you will know like the rest of us. I don't speculate.

And please don't ask "me" questions. Ask your question to the forum.

There have been many different opinions by immigration "legal experts" on this issue.

While no one knows for sure the potential ramifications of such a move ...it was the general consensus that "at the very worse" TNs would likely be honored thru their expiry date.
I personally know of a couple of Canadians who were able to "reup" their 3 year clock well before the expiration of their current TNs .

Better safe than sorry....kind of the only "pre emptive" step one could take. (other than changing to another status)
In both cases, the employer was happy to reapply in case of such an outcome.
I also heard of another who was denied because had too much time remaining on his current. No effect on current one.

Think some in here are more well versed on TN regulations than many border agents.

noticed that too. don't know what annual quota they have in mind and how many TNs they issue out each year. any insights? Thx.