With a advance parole, can I walk through citizen/permanent resident lane at airport?

goodbm

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks:
For some reasons, I am worried about being fingerprinted at the border or airport when I come back overseas. I heard that you can walk through citizen/permanent resident at the airport or border when you have an advanced parole. So you won't get fingerprinted. Is this true? Anyone have experiences to tell? Please help, I need to go back to my country to visit my elder parents. Thanks a lot!

Ben

You are not a permanent resident or US citizen yet. If you are on H1 status or any visa status, you will be fingerprinted, but I am not sure about person who hold AP. Some of them didn't have to be fingerprinted and some people had to be fingerprinted. It is not a big deal. Why worry about fingerprint if you are in a good moral character? Don't worry.

They don't fingerprint everyone? How that works?
I just heard that I can walk through citizen/Pemanent Resident Lane.

I am a decent person, made a small mistake in the past. But the law is unfairly harsh on foreign nationals even a very small mistake.

goodbm said:
I just heard that I can walk through citizen/Pemanent Resident Lane.

Then you heard incorrectly. You cannot use the USC/LPR lane if you only hold an AP. The POE officer will decide whether to send you to secondary inspection or not. If there is something in your past that might trigger a negative experience upon re-entry then you should either delay you travel until you get your GC, or consult a decent immigration attorney prior to traveling.

Dear Goodbm,
No, you can't use the US Citizens, Permanent Residents lane with an advance parole. I've entered the country twice (at SFO) with my advance parole, and I used the visa holders lane. I was sent both times to an office for a secondary inspection. At the counter, the officer checked my advance parole, and my I-485. I don't know what else he checked but he was behind his computer for 5-10 minutes. Then, he stamped my advance parole and my I-94 and I was on my way out within 15 minutes, each time. Personally, I wouldn't do anything that could jeopardize my re-entry in the US. But you may want to talk to your lawyer before leaving.
Good luck,
lalala

lalala said:
Dear Goodbm,
No, you can't use the US Citizens, Permanent Residents lane with an advance parole. I've entered the country twice (at SFO) with my advance parole, and I used the visa holders lane. I was sent both times to an office for a secondary inspection. At the counter, the officer checked my advance parole, and my I-485. I don't know what else he checked but he was behind his computer for 5-10 minutes. Then, he stamped my advance parole and my I-94 and I was on my way out within 15 minutes, each time. Personally, I wouldn't do anything that could jeopardize my re-entry in the US. But you may want to talk to your lawyer before leaving.
Good luck,
lalala

I think it depends on the airport and time. Some airport BCBP can allow AP in citizen/PR lane if they want to reduce the load in visa lanes. In some airports in certain flights there are not too many citizens/PR travelling. For example, flights coming from western Europe have high number of US citizens and certain flights from Pacific areas have very less. BCBP officers change their approach accordindly. After landing you will come to know what line you should stand.

Secondly inspection for AP is not done in every airports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have entered several times via different Airports - Atlanta, NY, Miami, Chicago with AP, and always used the USC/Permanent Resident's Line. Never had a problem, always had to go for secondary inspection.

Any with with border entry experience at Los Angeles? What is INS practice on people with Advanced Parole? Fingerprint every AP? Do I need to bring a copy of I-485 receipt?

Ben