Will USCIS suspend services during a government shutdown?

dhlunar

Registered Users (C)
I know this might not be the best part of of the forum to ask this question.

If there is a government shutdown next week, will USCIS suspend all services (processing of applications, INFOPASS appointments, scheduled appointments) during the shutdown?

Ever heard of "politicians are same all over the world"..well Govt. shutdown won't happen. It will be saved at the last minute..how do I know this..well I don't but a wild guess :)

CIS is funded by application fees, so for the most part, things should go through. The problem is if CIS facilities are administered by other agencies (maybe like Federal Plaza in NY), those agency shut-downs might affect CIS facilities.

I think visa processing is not affected ....From CNN:

Is it safe to fly?

Airport security personnel are considered essential, so travelers please continue to follow Transportation Security Administration rules about liquids, shoes and other restrictions at the airport.

Air traffic controllers, some safety inspectors and other essential employees will "continue working in order to maintain the safety of the national airspace system," said the Federal Aviation Administration, in an e-mailed statement. "Safety is our top priority."

Most immigration, border and customs employees are also considered essential personnel, which means passport controls at U.S. borders and points of entry like airports and cruise ports -- should be unaffected by the shutdown.

Other FAA projects, including facility security inspections, routine personnel security background investigations and development of the next generation of air traffic control technology, will be placed on hold.

What if you're waiting on a passport?

If you're waiting on a U.S. passport, how long that wait will last depends on where the passport agency is located. Passport services, because they are funded by other revenue, are generally "unaffected by a government shutdown," according to a State Department spokesperson.

There's just one possible catch: If the passport office is located within a government building that has been shut down, passport approvals may be affected.

If you need a visa

Because consular services at U.S. embassies and consulates around the world are largely funded by application fees, not annual appropriations, visa applications filed by foreigners wanting to enter the United States will continue to be processed, according to the State Department.

Immigration Appointments & Govt shut down

DOes anyone know if the immigration appointments for the citizenship are still on? or does this government shut down mean that all that had appointments will no longer be seen? I need to know since my husband has an appointment on the 4th of October, 2013 for his fingerprinting?

thanks in advance for any responds!

Unless you heard something official from USCIS in email or text message, the appointment is should still be on. If you have to drive long distance to get to the appointment, you could call the ASC (application support Center) and confirm if they are open. As per my knowledge, all ASCs are open for fingerprinting.

DOes anyone know if the immigration appointments for the citizenship are still on? or does this government shut down mean that all that had appointments will no longer be seen? I need to know since my husband has an appointment on the 4th of October, 2013 for his fingerprinting?

According to the USCIS website, ALL fee services continue as normal worldwide and applicants should report for their appointments as scheduled. Per the office closing page there is no offices currently closed.

We (my wife and I) have an INFOPass appointment on next Tuesday (10/8) and I called USCIS yesterday. The representative seemed very knowledgeable and stated, "at this time USCIS fee services operations continue as normal and offices are open." I am still going to call on Monday afternoon and inquire again to be on the safe side. I would advise you to call USCIS on 10/3 to verify if the particular location should be open on 10/4. To speak with a representative regarding your local ASC call the USCIS 800 number (800-375-5283) chose language then option 1 (everything), 4 (locations), 2 (ASC), enter zip code, 1 (to verify zip code), listen to announcement and option to speak with a representative.

Ever heard of "politicians are same all over the world"..well Govt. shutdown won't happen. It will be saved at the last minute..how do I know this..well I don't but a wild guess :)

Kinda funny to read it today, October 5th...