Will SSN be mailed with EAD after asylum approval?

mitbesitzer

Timeline: applied 8/2019, interviewed 8/2020, approved 12/2020.
I already have restricted SSN from my previous nonimmigrant visa, my spouse in US does not yet have any SSN.
I wish to start applying for SSN right away instead of waiting for EAD to arrive. But I need to know if they will mail our new SSN with EAD.

On the approval notice, it says that we can apply immediately for an unrestricted SSN card at any Social Security office. It seems to suggest that we need to apply by ourselves.
But I checked on SSA website, it says: "Anyone who applies for a SSN card or replacement card through EBE, via the I-765, does not need to make a separate visit to a Social Security field office to apply in person. We will mail your SSN card to the address you listed on your I-765 application. You should receive your SSN card no later than seven business days after you receive your work authorization document from USCIS. ".

Thank you!

Last edited:
I already have restricted SSN from my previous nonimmigrant visa, my spouse in US does not yet have any SSN.
I wish to start applying for SSN right away instead of waiting for EAD to arrive. But I need to know if they will mail our new SSN with EAD.

On the approval notice, it says that we can apply immediately for an unrestricted SSN card at any Social Security office. It seems to suggest that we need to apply by ourselves.
But I checked on SSA website, it says: "Anyone who applies for a SSN card or replacement card through EBE, via the I-765, does not need to make a separate visit to a Social Security field office to apply in person. We will mail your SSN card to the address you listed on your I-765 application. You should receive your SSN card no later than seven business days after you receive your work authorization document from USCIS. ".

Thank you!
You should apply for A05 EAD. They won't give you a new SSN.

Which office?
Did you contact the asylum office to ask for an interview?

Thank you!
When you apply for EAD C08, there is a check box for SSN. In order to get a SSN, you have to check it.
Once your asylum is granted, the office will apply for EAD A05 on behalf of you; however, they don't check the SSN box, in other words , they don't request SSN for you.
Therefore, you should apply for it. Just call SSN office and ask them which documents they will need, send them the original. They will review these documents and return them back to you