will Credit History Affect 485 Approval

lineardiva

Registered Users (C)
it would be of great help ,if some one could clarify me on this issue .

i have about 4k which i have to pay to a credit card company and am in
485 stage of GC .Would the credit history affect my Green Card approval ?

more info..
the company had written it off as bad debt . Should i make a total payment and clear the bad debt ,only concern towards this is for the Green Card.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer is NO. If you had defrauded the credit agencies, then it is altogether a different matter. If it is merely credit balance, the answer is NO.

Credit

Credit issues might not affect your immigration process, but you have to remember that credit is crucial for everything you do in this country. Credit scores are adversely affected by actions like this. Every time you are trying to buy something on credit, a car or a home maybe, that write-off will appear on your credit report, and by the way will stay there for ten years. This could mean the denial of the credit or would force you to pay higher interest rates. I even know of companies that check on credit scores before they hire an employee, when the handling of money or important decision making is on the table. If you can’t pay the 4K right away, at least make arrangements to pay a small amount on a monthly basis, you can even negotiate interest rates

If you have a balance on your credit card that does not mean that your credit history is bad or will become bad . Keep making regular payments (atleast minimum due) every month, that will actually help your credit history.
A person who has some balance (not lots that he cannot pay regular payments but some balance) and who makes regular payment will have a better credit history than someone who does not have a balance at all.
Did you not make payments towards your 4k? Since its written it off as bad debt, I think you should try and clear it off. If you do not have the money then try transferring balance from an another card but after that make regular payments on that card. A bad credit remark might stay on your credit history for some time, but if you show that you have come out of it then it'll not have a very bad effect on your hostory.
Hope this helps
-jd

Patriot Act?

It is unlikely credit score has anything to do with your immigration affairs. However, AFAIK, Patriot Act would allow USCIS to peek into your financial records - whether you agree or not. So if asked - admit it, if not - do not say a word!

Thank you !

i was very much worried ,and now want to clear off the due and work on my credit history once ,
i get my approval .
Thanks guys

Relax

I don't think your credit history can affect your GC. A lot of americans owe thousands on credit cards and they are citizens :p .

If you do worry about that you may get a credit report and see how you are looked to others. You can get one report at myfico.com for $13. It can help you if you buy a home.

mylvka said:
I don't think your credit history can affect your GC. A lot of americans owe thousands on credit cards and they are citizens :p .

If you do worry about that you may get a credit report and see how you are looked to others. You can get one report at myfico.com for $13. It can help you if you buy a home.

A lot of americans have commited serious crimes (e.g. having a quarter of an ounce of cannabis, Lord have mercy) and are doing time in a joint. An Immigrant, however, would get deported. Silly argumentation. (No offence!).

As for credit reports, you are entitled to get one (some states two) free per year per agency. Call each experian, trans union, and equifax and request a free copy (automated service). It will be sent to your house. You can do it online but imo mail is better.

You will not get your credit score for free but you do not need that to see how your financial behavior translates to your record. Score is, however, key factor when attempting to get credit.

Have fun.

Hi Guys,
I just subscribe to this forum ,I need some advices from readers . As the message thread says it may not effect your GC if you bad credit history .But my case is little different I have a balance of 17 thousands on my 5 cards ,I am paying the minimum balance due each month because of high interests I am ending up paying more to each card .
To fix this ,I approached a debt consolidate agency who will help me in reduce the debt by negotiating with the each creditors to reduce the interest and pay off each card . This program will get effective from October 4, as they mention this will effect to credit score and cannot use credit cards until you free up the debt . I am in final stage of I485 ,I was wondering if I choose this approach to pay my debt will this effect the I485 processing

I will get my FP in Oct 26, I really appreciate your responses

Thanks

zammy said:
Hi Guys,
I just subscribe to this forum ,I need some advices from readers . As the message thread says it may not effect your GC if you bad credit history .But my case is little different I have a balance of 17 thousands on my 5 cards ,I am paying the minimum balance due each month because of high interests I am ending up paying more to each card .
To fix this ,I approached a debt consolidate agency who will help me in reduce the debt by negotiating with the each creditors to reduce the interest and pay off each card . This program will get effective from October 4, as they mention this will effect to credit score and cannot use credit cards until you free up the debt . I am in final stage of I485 ,I was wondering if I choose this approach to pay my debt will this effect the I485 processing

I will get my FP in Oct 26, I really appreciate your responses

Thanks

I don't think BCIS even runs your credit history. All they care for is a "permanent job" and "no criminal record". Technically speaking Credit scores are maintained by private agencies and I don't know how much BCIS would really rely on that. Hell! they don't even trust other government agencies, leave alone private ones :p

WaitinginQ is right
The only data that can affect your 485 is data that government has...e.g. FBI
Data from private credit agencies will not affect your case.

Having debt and bad credit is not an offence....

But if you commited a credit fraud...and were convicted...the key word here being convicted by a judge then your case could be affected.

Accumulating debt is a civic duty in the US. The more the better !!

> i have about 4k which i have to pay to a credit card company
> and am in 485 stage of GC .Would the credit history affect my
> Green Card approval ?

Having outstanding balances on credit cards or car payments is a fact of american life. It is not an indication of 'bad credit'.
Just make sure you don't default on your payments, if you are already late, contact the company to make payment arrangements.

Going through debt counseling and an arranged pay-off plan for your debt also isn't anything criminal or morally wrong. After all, you are trying to fulfill your obligations. (writing bogus checks on long closed checking accounts to cover your overdue payments on the other hand would be a criminal offence and could jeopardize your immigration.)

The only time ICE, the enforcement arm of BCIS is interested in your credit records is if they suspect you of supporting some mofos flying planes into buildings. (and maybe if they try to locate you to enforce a removal order)

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't reall?

Many told me credit history doesn't affect your I-485 application. Does this mean bankruptcy doesn't also?

Thanks