will be laid off. urgent help pls!

raelmrdj

My company just told me I will be laid off in 20 days. I am currently on H1B. There won't be enough time to find a job. Is it possible that I start to take unpaid leave now for 2 weeks and ask them to keep my last paycheck till I find a job (possibly in a month)? I am very worried about my status. Thank you for you help!

Why should you as a guest worker be granted any consideration not given to a USC worker? Why should your employer risk his reputation violating US labor regulations?

Since you are being laid off, you are entitled to transportation home.

Your status is based on your current job. Once that job ceases to exist, so does your status. Regardless of how compassionate your current employer is, I seriously doubt they will entertain your request.

I am very worried about my status.

Last edited by a moderator:
@raelmrdj

Be warned ! You are not entitled for unemployment benefits as H1 worker !
If you collect - the Unemployment Office does not always check your status - you end up in hot water with the USCIS later ! I doubt that an employer wants to keep an employee and keep all the responsibilities that come with it. Technically your out-of-status on day 1 after you have left and "being on the bench without pay" is illegal. However, the employer has to pay you a ticket home and he has to pay all the (reasonable) moving expenses.

Last edited by a moderator: