Will a US permanent resident lose status if they apply for residency in another country?

jnj

Registered Users (C)
Lets say you are a canadian who is a US permanent resident and living in the usa but you want to get back your canadian residency and benefits,could you lose your us permanent residency status?How long can you live outside the usa before you lose your us Permanent resident status?

Lets say you are a canadian who is a US permanent resident and living in the usa but you want to get back your canadian residency and benefits,could you lose your us permanent residency status?

Are you a Canadian citizen, or a Permanent Resident?

both....basically if you are a pr is there a max amount of time you can be out of country before they revoke your us residency...Also if you have to go back to canada for a while and re apply for canadian services and taxes do you lose your us pr?

Also if you have to go back to canada for a while and re apply for canadian services and taxes do you lose your us pr?

Generally speaking yes, because you are establishing residence in Canada.

What do you mean by "have to go back"? Were you abducted at gunpoint?

If you cant answer without being a smart *** please dont...thank you.

For RealCanadian that's unfortunately a chronic problem. Somehow he/she has the necessity to feel like an immigration officer, or some type of police wannabe.
About your question, you residence status in another country and the benefits you receive for that is your own businees with that country. You won't lose US PR unless you stay abroad over the 6 months, or whatever the max limit is. So time it correctly and you'll be ok.

thanks machelon...i guess what i need to find out is what the max time limit is for being outside of the usa before you lose status.

I believe TRC has asked a genuine question. All he wants is an explanation of "have to go back". This statement is very different to say, "want to go back".

If you cant answer without being a smart *** please dont...thank you.

I believe TRC has asked a genuine question. All he wants is an explanation of "have to go back". This statement is very different to say, "want to go back".

Thank you. People here regularly confuse the terms "have to", and "want to", especially when it comes to situations that could lead to an abandonment of permanent residency. They are then surprised when USCIS has a different definition of "have to" than they do.

So unless you are being extradited to Canada to face a criminal charge, you "want to" move there. And (especially if you take provincial health care, which requires the establishment of residency in Canada) that is likely to be deemed as abandonment of residence.

his smart *** response "Were you abducted at gunpoint? " is not warranted...and wtf should i give an explanation after his rudeness?Its irrelevant anyway.Moving along if we can,what is the max time limit you can be out of country?

what is the max time limit you can be out of country?

This may sound like a smarta$$ response, but it can be anything from 1 day to 50 years.

If you leave the US for a single day and establish residence elsewhere, that's too much. If you leave the US on a temporary vacation and are kidnapped and not rescued for half a century, you can still get an SB-1 visa and return back as a Permanent Resident.

It all depends on the purpose of your trip. But if you take Canadian health care, you will need to establish residence, which USCIS may view as abandonment of US permanent residence.

I'm sorry you got offended at my question. It was not intended as such.

Some people seem to change their residency like they change their shoes - to match their mood at the time. I sometimes wish that compulsory service would be required to come to live in the US; it would keep out the riff-raff.

To TheRealCanadian - Very eloquent and professional response. Hats off.

People do need to understand that "Permanent Residency" in the country means exactly that "Permanently Reside". Someone cant permanently reside in multiple places at the same time. When OP used word "have to", it needed clarification as USCIS views (when deciding if PR is valid) compelling reasons to stay outside country differently from "let me go establish residency in neighbor country so I can get free/cheap health care and get to keep PR of both countries".

Same is going on with DV Lottery. People enter it willy-nilly and start worrying about how much it costs, whether its worth etc. A good soul even opened a thread advising potential DV candidates to think hard before entering.