Wife called for Interview. Few Qs.

dcmetro22042

Registered Users (C)
Guys:

We just received the interview letter for my wife. Interview if for next week at Fairfax Office. Surprising thing is that I (being the primary applicant) have not received the letter! I am thinking of going with her just in case they sent out a letter for me as well and we did not get my letter. We moved few months back but still received the letter on the old address. I've tried updating the address many times (both by phone and AR-11) but seems that never reached the local office.

What do you guys think, does it make sense for me to go as well? Is it possible she gets a decision coming week, even though I know I am the primary applicant and my processing date is quite far? If not, why would they call her for an interview?

I would also like to know what she should be taking to the interview.

Your thoughts and/or suggestions shall be appreciated.

You should go with her. Its very possible that your notice got lost in the mail. Same thing happened to me. Just go with her, and ask about your case when you see the officer.

Although the priority may not be current, they may do the interview, and approve you, pending a priority date. You would not get a stamp in this situation. Then when the PD is current, they would just send the card. Many people have gone to interviews when thier PD is not yet current, and this is what typically happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
curiousGeorge said:
You should go with her. Its very possible that your notice got lost in the mail. Same thing happened to me. Just go with her, and ask about your case when you see the officer.

Although the priority may not be current, they may do the interview, and approve you, pending a priority date. You would not get a stamp in this situation. Then when the PD is current, they would just send the card. Many people have gone to interviews when thier PD is not yet current, and this is what typically happens.

Yes I shall try my luck. Maybe they let me in as well. Thanks

We completed our interview yesterday. Officer told us that our case is 'approvable' but we shall be able to approve it once the PD becomes current

dcmetro22042 said:
We completed our interview yesterday. Officer told us that our case is 'approvable' but we shall be able to approve it once the PD becomes current

why they asked for interview? most cases don't get interviews.

is ur namecheck and ur wife's one cleared?

never asked. He said that if the visa was available, I would have stamped the passport right now. Therefore I am assuming that NC was cleared for both. Called for interview as I had an arrest (petit larceny) in the past (10yrs). Case was null processed.

dcmetro22042 said:
never asked. He said that if the visa was available, I would have stamped the passport right now. Therefore I am assuming that NC was cleared for both. Called for interview as I had an arrest (petit larceny) in the past (10yrs). Case was null processed.

so if u had an arrest, then why the interview was for ur wife and not for u? it is weird. can u tell?

Dude, I have no idea! Who knows what they do and why they do it. And I had no reason to ask him after they allowed me to be interviewed as well :D . I just latched on the interview as a means to get interviewed as well and was relieved when I told that I shall not be interviewed again. Its a waiting game for me now for my PD to get current and knock on their door again. Lets see what the visa bulletin brings this month

An update: Just got a letter for my interview as well. Letter was sent out a month back! And it was for the same day but a different time that my wife's interview. Since I have already done the interview with my wife, can I just ignore this letter?

why they asked for interview? most cases don't get interviews.

Case transfers can happen for any number of reasons, and quite frankly they can even happen just at the discretion of the adjudicating officer, as a random check. read this:

{excerpt from the "I-485 Standard Operating Procedure", page 7-3.24}

Employment based Criteria
The adjudicating officer must determine whether the employment-based
I-485 meets waiver of interview criteria set forth below.

Employment-based:

• The principal applicant is employed by the same petitioner who submitted
the approved underlying employment-based visa petition.

• The principal applicant has been interviewed in the course of an
investigation or field examination, and the adjudicating examiner
determines that further interview of the applicant is unnecessary.

• The principal applicant has been approved as an alien of extraordinary
ability or alien of exceptional ability and is otherwise eligible for
adjustment of status.

• The principal applicant has been approved as an outstanding professor or
researcher, or a multinational executive/manager and has a continuing
offer of employment from the same petitioner who submitted the
underlying approved petition.

• Adjustment applicants who received national interest waivers based on
performing primary medical care to a medically under-served area must
demonstrate that they intend to continue according to the terms and
conditions of the underlying petition.

Deviation From Interview Waiver Criteria

The above interview waiver criteria may be modified by individual officers in
response to developing local circumstances and regional concerns, which
would dictate the need for further restrictions.

On a case by-case basis, an officer may choose to relocate an I-485 for
interview if he/she deems it necessary. Applications require a relocation if
the officer determines:
• a need for validation of identity
• a need for validation of legal status
• questionable admissibility and/or qualifications
• apparent fraud
• a second filing
• an applicant with fingerprint rejected twice
• an applicant with medical condition class A or B
• the A-file cannot be located at the time of adjudication.