who is the chief justice of the supreme court?

John Roberts (the 17th Chief Justice by the way). Who is your governor, senators, mayor and representative ?

applyforcitizen said:

thanks!

Man you better learn these things, because if you don't know them, your ability to naturalize may be in jeopardy. There are officers in which USCIS ask you these questions, even after giving you the test, because your ability to identify with the history of Uncle Sam is imperative. So, start to work very hard to know these things very well.

This is a link to the USCIS website for self-test naturalization test

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp

Who said these words? "Give me liberty or give me death"-

Some of the online test answers are out of date. Still showed the prior Chief Justice of SCOTUS last time I looked.

Applyforcitizen, you are on the right track ... you research the answers you don't know and above you found some links that will help you study. Indeed the Supreme Justice situation just changed recently ... if you missed that in the news, your question was right on the point. Heads up, the civic test is very easy when you work with it a little

Alex

I am sure most natural born U.S. citizen could not name a single Supreme Court Justice. Even though I find the 100 questions very easy, I am sure most natural born citizen would have problems answering them all ;-). When it comes to history and/or politics - even rudimentary things- it seems as if ignorance is bliss for most folks in the United States :).

Cheers!

LegalAlien99 said:
I am sure most natural born U.S. citizen could not name a single Supreme Court Justice. Even though I find the 100 questions very easy, I am sure most natural born citizen would have problems answering them all ;-). When it comes to history and/or politics - even rudimentary things- it seems as if ignorance is bliss for most folks in the United States :).

Cheers!

You have a very low opinion of the country you wish to become a citizen of... :confused:

For the record, I asked several of my co-workers the civics questions from my interview - all answers were correct, except fro the question; "What is the most important right?" where all said free speech. One lady didn't know what year the constition was written. She said 1789 instead of 1787.

No, not a low opinion, I just think that many folks are not really aware of the political/historic background of this country. Meaning: I do not think the system of public education functions too well.

Also, it depends on where and whom in the U.S. you ask. Up here in D.C., I am sure folks are up to speed. This might not necessarily be true in other areas. All I am saying is that a lot native born citizens are apolitical and do not invest much time and thought into such things.

A month or so back, a consortium of highly respected U.S. universities published a representative study on American Constitutional Principles. They asked adult native born Americans a variety of questions, similar to the ones required for naturalization. Well, long story short:

1 out of 1000 thought that owning a pet was a right specifically mentioned in the U.S. Constitution.

1 out of 100 could not name a single right granted by the Bill of Rights.

1 out of 50 thought that "Happiness" was a right granted by the Bill of Rights.

I will see if I can get my hands on a .pdf copy of the survey and post it here.

Again, I am not out to bash this great Nation, I am just convinced that most folks born and raised here do not really appreciate or understand what being American means.

I think this is were everybody on this forum is unique. We made a concious decision to become American; most of us in the immigrant community do so for reasons granted to us by the U.S. constitution, rights and freedoms that not all applicants enjoyed in their respective countries of birth.

Therefore, I believe that many N-400 candidates have a deeper understanding and appreciation for this exceptional country than many of those who were born here.

To me, being American is more than flying the Stars & Stripes or afixing a yellow ribbon to one's car or truck, thinking that this is all it takes to be a "good American". To me, America is more than that. To me, it is an ideal, a dream, a vision - exemplified by the constitutional beliefs of limited (aka small) government (non European, so to speak hehe), entrepreneurship, property rights, freedom of expression, non coercion and voluntarism.

Lastly, I neither wanted to offend anybody by my post, nor was it my intention to drag the United States through the dirt. I was only trying to express that in order to preserve what we all love and cherish about this country, it takes a politically more interested and active citizenry.

Cheers!

LegalAlien, to conclude that aspiring new citizens would have a deeper understanding of the US History because they can answer the 100 Questions is quite a leap ... ask an immigrant who did NOT read the 100 answers before about the test and you will find probably nothing so encouraging either.
Immigrants are not better or worse in any respect than US-born citizens - I know you will agree with that.

Alex

applyforcitizen said:

thanks!

:eek: What are you, some kind of martian wanting to become a USC?? Dude, if you have'nt heard of Google or any other search engine to get these idiotic questions of your's answered, I would suggest you look for citizenship elsewhere. The interview questions can be pretty brutal, and if you can't even figure out the simple things, it appears to me that you very little hope of giving believable answers. I knew the US welcomed the tired, poor,
huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, etc. but Idiots..... I am not so sure. :)

RAsungod said:
:eek: What are you, some kind of martian wanting to become a USC?? Dude, if you have'nt heard of Google or any other search engine to get these idiotic questions of your's answered, I would suggest you look for citizenship elsewhere. The interview questions can be pretty brutal, and if you can't even figure out the simple things, it appears to me that you very little hope of giving believable answers. I knew the US welcomed the tired, poor,
huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, etc. but Idiots..... I am not so sure. :)

There are no stupid questions, ..... And if the test would be about intelligence, not necessarily the ones who ask questions would have to worry, don't you agree ?

Alex

RAsungod said:

No question is idiotic/stupid...
But many answers qualify for this attribute :rolleyes: ...and many times arrogance and condescension go hand in hand with stupidity, be careful
;)