who do we make the check out to?

ramanathansunda

Registered Users (C)
Guys , Are personal checks O.K? and who do we make the checks out to-INS, USINS or BCIS? Do we need to expand the acronyms or just say usins etc. Thanks.

Personal Checks not accepted

Personal checks are no longer accepted. It should be either a money order or a cashiers check payable to Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services not BCIS

neha123

Are you sure personal checks are no longer accepted? I used personal check at the end of July without any problem. If there is such a change please post reliable official sources like link from BCIS site.

I would not recommend sending personal checks to BCIS at all. I agree with Neha123. Send either Money orders or Cashier checks. If something happens, you can keep track of it. Keep the copy with you. As far as the address is concerned, check the website before you send the application. Now there is a transition in the name change. So, they my accept any name ( BCIS, USCIS). So, it depends on when you are applying. You dont want to take any chance!

Kamal

USCIS preferred either a money order or a cashiers check payable to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

They just changed the name again

personal checks are ok (hopefully cuz that's what I sent for EAD and AP renewal)

Paying Fees:
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH. The Service Center will accept money orders, personal checks, and cashiers checks for payment of fees. The Service Center cannot deposit cash. Be sure checks are signed and correctly dated. Post-dated checks are acceptable as long as the date on the check is no more than 5 days in advance of the date the check is received.

This is from the website below:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/texas/aboutus.htm

Click on "Paying Fees"

Madhav

Personal Checks

My case transferred to the Houston Local Office. They dont accept personal checks at the local office.

Personal Checks are BETTER for us

I paid for my EAD and AP with a personal check and it was perfectly OK. The advantage is that if your receipt gets lost in the mail then you will not know your SRC no. But when you get your cleared check back, the SRC no will be printed at the back of the check and this way you have a back up. If you use MO or cashiers check you may not get the cleared document back. If you use Citibank then you can see the front and back side of your cleared check electronically 3 days after it clears and you can right away get your SRC no.

Personal checks are allowed

I just filed my 3rd EAD renewal early last week (Tuesday) and paid the $120 fee using a personal cheque addressed to 'Immigration and Naturalization Service".
Note: It was not BCIS or USCIS.

The cheque has already been encashed and I even checked the online-status based on the SRC# printed behind the encashed cheque.

Neha, in your case, maybe local offices do not accept personal cheques.

--
"Strange are the way of the world but even stranger are the ways of an entity called BCIS"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your response

Guys and Gals, I downloaded a hard copy of the most recent version of the I-765 form from the BCIS web site, and the section on fees says pay to " Immigration and Naturalization Service"

Interestingly when I typed "bcis" in Google search, it turned up a Breast Cancer Institute's web site. Hence I think it would be safer to spell the whole thing out if writing out a check. I am going to make a cashier's check payable to Immig and Nat Svc.

Thank you all for your response.

How to write the check

A google search has no relevance on how to write a check. You can use INS, BCIS or the new USCIS (or even CIS as Murthy has seen on some documents) all will be acceptable. I have just had 2 checks written to BCIS that were fine. I think that in the long run, and for reasons of brevity the old and popular (?) name of INS will be replaced by CIS.