Where is the Best?

How about austin, TX

Austin is supposed to be very beautiful.
Good college UT.
plenty of high tech companies.
green
international Airport.
Does not get as hot as houston, but hot nevertheless.
Affordable housing.

any opinions.
over and out
:)

Atlanta is not lazy as someone pointed. Its as good as NY in terms of opportunities, work culture, cosmolpoiltan environment etc.

pingpong,
please add this thread to your "important threads" thread.
BTW, Atlanta is one of the best places to live in USA. The only negative factor there is "crime rate" is little higher than in many places. Ofcourse traffic-wise is also, it is little bit congested. But it's a beautiful city with good facilities and diverse communities.

Chicago

I know I am reviving an "old" thread. But I feel it is still relevant.

My 2 cents on Chicago after 4 years of living here :

Pros :

1. Reasonable job growth
2. Vibrant downtown - lots of crowd even during the weekends
3. People are friendly in the suburbs
4. Culturually very diverse - I have seen people from all color, race, country mixing with each other

Cons :

1. Winter is harsh and long. Starts on Sep and ends on May.
2. Cost of living is high - for finding $ 250 k single family 4 bedroom houses, you need to live atleast 35 miles from downtown.
3. Job growth could be better

I got my GC recently and am planning to move to another place esp. due to Cons 1 & 3. After two winters, cannot tolerate the weather anymore. As much as I like Chicago, there is no reason why I should pay more price for house and tolerate terrible weather. I am thinking of moving to Atlanta/Raleigh, NC or Tampa. All these places are cheap(er) with good weather. They will be near to east coast too where I have many relatives/friends.

Anybody knows details about both Detroit area and Chicago area? I am living Detroit area and have a big concern about its future -- jobs are getting less and less because automobil is losing more market. Because we don't like hot weather, We are considering to move to Chicago that has diversified industrials. Can anybody please tell the comparison of these two places?

Another vote for NH here – hopusign not too expensive but rates of people moving to the SE of the state looking to increase – nows a good time to buy. Commutatble to Boston and points north (still a few firms out there for IT etc). Train service in place along the coast – will be extended into Nashua soon then Manchester. Possible to drive to the train stations in MA then get in or even the subway. Bus service to including right to Logan Airport.

Getting to boston at the weekend – easy – figure an average 60 mph right into the center.

From central NH (Manchester- largest city) – coast 45 mins. Maine 50 mins. Lakes region 45 mins. Vermont an hour the mountains an hour. Plenty of trees – not all concrete. No state tax no sales tax (plenty of of little taxes though – got to pay your way somehow!

We need more immigrants here – we only have two Indian/ Pakistani restaurants in the main city and the more that more here then the better the selection of food will be!! A couple of good Grocers will see you get all your needs and there are so many other ethnic restaurants!!! Schooling system isn’t the greatest -you’ll need to select Carefully.

Oh yeah – only 4 hours to New York or Montreal id you need a major cultural change once in a while! You can drive 4 hours going to breakfast in Texas!!