What papers to keep?

rollingstone

Registered Users (C)
So I finally got my GC, after 5.5 years of wait. Over these years I have accumulated a pile of documents, including old H-1 approvals, receipts, multiple AP/EADs, W-2s going back 10 years. I was wondering, what papers do I need to preserve, and which ones can I toss away? Will USCIS ever issue RFEs for these documents in the future?

So I finally got my GC, after 5.5 years of wait. Over these years I have accumulated a pile of documents, including old H-1 approvals, receipts, multiple AP/EADs, W-2s going back 10 years. I was wondering, what papers do I need to preserve, and which ones can I toss away? Will USCIS ever issue RFEs for these documents in the future?

Keep the originals of every thing if you have place.

Keep them.

I have kept all of mine, going all the way back to 1993.

1) With the USCIS you never know what mysteries may happen, and if they ask for anything in the future, for whatever reason, then I have it.

2) When applying for citizenship (which I am planning to do next year), then I know that I have everything that might be requested pertaining to the five year period PRIOR to obtaining my GC.

But, then there are others who discard their old documents. It's really down to personal preference. I'd certainly keep the most important ones, like 485 approval.