What is your H1b income ?

retrostuck

Hi,

To help the others evaluate the bitter and pratical situation, you would post here your H1B salary.

Me:

1. Non-US Master of Computer Science, CISSP, MCSE , CCNA, CCNP
2. 22 yrs of Computer Experiences
3. Area : Virginia
4. Job title : Network admin
5. REAL tasks to do : HELP Desk, Network admin, Mail Server Admin, PC assembler, Office Eqipment maintenance, furniture mover (sometimes), explain to stupid lazyass on very basic computer, and more than 100 things the citizens do not want to do !!!!
6. H1B since 4 years.
7. Current state: I-140 approved then Retro.
6. salary : 45K/yr :-(((((

What is yours ?

retrostuck said:
Hi,

To help the others evaluate the bitter and pratical situation, you would post here your H1B salary.

Me:

1. Non-US Master of Computer Science, CISSP, MCSE , CCNA, CCNP
2. 22 yrs of Computer Experiences
3. Area : Virginia
4. Job title : Network admin
5. REAL tasks to do : HELP Desk, Network admin, Mail Server Admin, PC assembler, Office Eqipment maintenance, furniture mover (sometimes), explain to stupid lazyass on very basic computer, and more than 100 things the citizens do not want to do !!!!
6. H1B since 4 years.
7. Current state: I-140 approved then Retro.
6. salary : 45K/yr :-(((((

What is yours ?

1. US Masters in Civil/Structural Engg
2. 5 years of structural engg. design experience
3. Area : Bay Area, CA
4. Job title : Structural Engineer
5. REAL tasks to do : Not any of the non-work realted bull shit as mentioned by the previous person. Real professional structural design in a professional atmosphere.
6. H1B since 4 years.
7. Current state: Will be applying for labr thru PERM soom.
6. salary : 80K/yr

1. non US- B.E. electronics
2. 8 years of software development exp
3. Area : Alabama.
4. Job title : programmer analyst
5. REAL tasks to do : maintainence and development(its an IT department, so primary is maintenanace....but so far its been bearable), if not for H1 shit....would have taken a pure development job.....with better work environment than the current one...and of course atleast 30% improvement in pay.
6. H1B since 3 years.
7. Current state: I-140 approved
6. salary : 60K/yr

1. non US- B. Tech. (Mechanical Engg.) from iit-k
2. 12 years of software development exp
3. Area : Boston
4. Job title : Systems Engineer VI
5. REAL tasks to do : Software Maintenance and development. Punching bag for middle management's hostility.
6. H1B, Apr 97- Oct 99, Dec 2002-current
7. Current state: in BEC
6. salary : 92K/yr + bonus

1. US MS Agricultural Engg & MBA
2. 7 years exp (1 yr Engg + 6 Yrs Supply Chain & logistics)
3. Area : New England (New Hampshire)
4. Job title : Sr. Director Supply Chain Engineering & Analytics
5. REAL tasks to do : Responsible for all analytics & engineering responsibilities at corporate, includes process development across warehousing and transportation, facility startups, as well as continuous improvement in operations
6. H1B, May' 00 - Apr' 04; on EAD May' 04 - May' 06. GC approved May' 06
7. Current state: newbie GC holder.
6. salary : 120K/yr + Bonus

vsaksena....did you continue with the same employer after GC?, in your line of work....does H1B and GC makes any difference??

techy2468 said:
vsaksena....did you continue with the same employer after GC?

Yup still with the same employer, been with them since Oct 2001.

Have had my challenges with corporate HR (partly bcoz I was the guinea pig - 1st international hire at the organization, and partly bcoz I did not tow the "thank you so much for sponsoring my GC" line, which took them by surprise as they felt I was not being "grateful" enough) Tht being said the senior executives including the EVP who hired me have always been very supportive.

techy2468 said:
in your line of work....does H1B and GC makes any difference??

Yes it does very much, as opposed to the technology sector there aren't that many jobs available in the logistics arena (especially with an organization, where you can grow beyond the 1st few rungs) and not having a green card absolutely hinders access to the few opportunities available.

In addition being in the constantly renewing EADs & APs process & the investment behind these is not something most organizations look forward to, so most companies in their job descriptions say no VISA sponsorship available.

vsaksena.......since now you have your GC can you expect your salary to grow more(atleast 30-40% being in similar cost of living location)........i am sure your job options will be more and work satisfaction will be more..

not necessarily

techy2468 said:
vsaksena.......since now you have your GC can you expect your salary to grow more(atleast 30-40% being in similar cost of living location)........i am sure your job options will be more and work satisfaction will be more..

30-40% increase is extremely unlikely/un-realistic. Unless any of us is being exploited and being way under-paid by our employers, I highly doubt, any of us would see a 30-40% bump. Moving to a similar position, it is usually around 10% increase, unless there are substantial COLA diffrences.

having transitioned to a senior level in the organization structure at my current employer, I fortunately have appropriate work satisfaction/visibility. Most people I know who have been/are in the GC process have similar experiences.

That being said, I am keeping my options open about future opportunities, if & when they present themselves. The biggest advantage of having the GC for me is the freedom to live & work wherever my wife and I want in addition to the flexibility in travelling outside the country.

vsaksena.....being in IT....and having to go through middle layers....even though we are not being exploited.....it still makes a big difference in salary.......i can easily expect a 30% improvement in my wages...if i contract on my own...or if i work directly for my client as a perm...

right now...my billing is around $60......my employer gets around $45.......i get around $32........

my client is scared shitless to sponsor H1.....because of their ignorence of legal consequences.......and they get more scared when they see the 11 page application form....

and most american companies do not deal with desi consulting companies.......in fact in this town...i have seen that the HR people and all the recruiting companies are running a cartel.....i am sure this is true in most companies.....everyone gets their share...

question

Hi
I am new user here.
Please help me.
my question is:-
I got married with a GC holder not Citizen,
I am on H1b.
I want to quit my job after some time. is there any way to save my status.
is there any way to get EAD or something else like F1 or GC for Canada.
Can my husband file GC for me.
Do we have to have live togeather
I do not know how to post qustion on this form please help me.

Sushma

Doesn't add up

techy2468 said:
right now...my billing is around $60......my employer gets around $45.......i get around $32........

Do you mind sharing the secret of getting $45 +$32 from $60

ummm

1. non US- B. Tech. (EEE.) from JNTU Kakinada
2. 6 years of software development exp ( including 3 years US exp)
3. Area : cincinnati
4. Job title : Consultant
5. area : ERP domain
6. Current state: H1B
7. salary : FT job 117K + full expenses including dry cleaning expenses :D
8. team mates say I am a killer at work

LCA under perm: 12 days
I140 : 28 days
PD: 28 Feb 2006 :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas03096 said:
Do you mind sharing the secret of getting $45 +$32 from $60

I think u misunderstood him. Client pays $60 for his services. The vendor having the contract with the client pays $45(vendor takes $15/hr cut) to techy's employer. Techy's employer then pays him $32 (employer takes $13/hr cut)...

I got it now

AGC4ME said:
I think u misunderstood him. Client pays $60 for his services. The vendor having the contract with the client pays $45(vendor takes $15/hr cut) to techy's employer. Techy's employer then pays him $32 (employer takes $13/hr cut)...
Thanks for the clarification!
In my case I eliminated one layer (my ex-employer) by opting for AC21 self-employment. But now I am facing cash-flow problems because the vendor having contract with the end client wants to operate without working capital and expects me to finance his operations (Never pays in time as per contract but makes me wait for more than 60 days saying the end client has not paid him)

1. non US- B. Tech. (Mechanical Engg.)
2. 10 years of software development exp
3. Area : Oakland,CA
4. Job title : Lead Developer
5. REAL tasks to do : Software Maintenance and development. Loads of PR work between Business and software development.
6. H1B, Nov 98 -current
7. Current state: 140 approved.
8 Priority Date : 2002 Dec --Retrogressed :confused:
6. salary : 105K/yr + bonus

US masters
6yr programming
area:dc
H1b: since 2000
140 aproved 485 waiting
salary: Charge to taxpayers-195k
after overhead and all expense my salary-71K

Non IT field