What is really "name check" is about?

sciconf

Registered Users (C)
I see people posting about "name check" - which is done while FP is done.
What is it about?

Are they not taken care while they grant GC?

What is it about?

Name check is performed during both the GC and naturalization processes. Unlike FP, which will only return results if an applicant has been previously fingerprinted in conjunction with a crime and had his/her FPs entered into the NCIC database, the name check will scour FBI records to see if the applicant's name appears in any of them. Name check is conducted by inserting all possible combinations of an applicant's name into the system. If a name generates a hit, it doesn't necessarily mean that the applicant is a criminal. For example, if an applicant has ever been interviewed in conjunction with a crime (even as witness), and the file related to that crime was added to the NCIC database, the name will generate a hit. If a name similar to the applicant's appears in the database, the name check will generate a hit.

Until a few years ago, the name check program was severely understaffed, and any records that generated a hit required the operator to check the physical files in order to find out if the name was an actual match. This created ridiculously long delays for the unfortunate victims. From what I understand, this became a rather pervasive issue, causing the FBI to add more staff. Nowadays, most namechecks that generated a hit are completed within a few days.

What is it about?

Yes it is done during the GC process. But naturalization is years after the GC, so they run a name check again in case the applicant committed any crimes after the GC name check.