What is proper attire for Oath?

jac2005

Registered Users (C)
I have the Oath Ceremony in a few days and it letter just says "wear proper attire"

Will a full sleeve shirt and pants be good enough? Or do I have to run out and buy a coat and tie? I wasn't planning on a coat and tie. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Jake.

I have the Oath Ceremony in a few days and it letter just says "wear proper attire"

Will a full sleeve shirt and pants be good enough? Or do I have to run out and buy a coat and tie? I wasn't planning on a coat and tie. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Jake.

Yes, sure, a full sleeve shirt and pants are OK. A jacket and a tie are not required, although many people wear one or both (I had a jacket but not a tie for my oath ceremony). In general, it probably takes a lot to actually be thrown out from the oath ceremony because of improper attire. I would think that shorts and t-shirt would be pushing it, however.

Thanks in advance,
Jake.

I wore new dress shirt, dress pants and a tie. But most people at the ceremony were a heck lot less formal than I was.

Good...that helps me save 200-300$ that I would have to otherwise spend on a jacket and tie combination...:)

You can always rent a suit you know.

Better if you can avoid it altogether...:)...why incur the additional expense? I'd like to get a proper suit some day but with the Oath right around the corner, I don't want to rush and get something that I won't like. :p

For some people (perhaps not you) the oath ceremony represents an important turning point in their lives. While it is a very personal experience, I would suspect that a fellow participant in shorts and flip flops may detract from the overall gravitas of the occasion

For some people (perhaps not you) the oath ceremony represents an important turning point in their lives. While it is a very personal experience, I would suspect that a fellow participant in shorts and flip flops may detract from the overall gravitas of the occasion

Hmmm...I didn't say that if I didn't wear a suit or tie that I would turn up in flip-flops. My original question did indicate that I was going to wear a full sleeve shirt and some good quality pants. Its just that at this point I don't think I have the extra dough for a complete suit attire. I hope that explains what I was saying.

In general, it probably takes a lot to actually be thrown out from the oath ceremony because of improper attire. I would think that shorts and t-shirt would be pushing it, however.

Some of the people at my oath ceremony (which was held in a courthouse, mind you) were wearing cut-off shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. Others were full suits. As has been stated on this forum many times, the naturalization oath is an important event for some people and a mere formality for others. However, proper attire (at least business casual) should be worn to respect the dignity of the ceremony.

There's no real requiement to dress up. I saw people wearing pajamas for pants. They'd probably be displeased if someone showed up in swimwear.