What is I-89?

missie

Registered Users (C)
I have just filed for adjustment of status from H1-B to Permanent Resident in person at the local INS office. The adjustment of status is through marriage to a US Citizen. I received a receipt from the cashier on the same day I submitted my AOS package.
I've also completed my fingerprinting as required by INS.

My question is...

1. When will I receive a receipt from the INS that says that everything I submitted is OK? One week? Two weeks?

2. At the bottom of one of my receipts, it says that I should go back to the local INS office to fill out form I-89 within 14 days. If I'm not mistaken, I-89 is a signature/fingerprinting form for the green card itself. I have just submitted by I-485 package and I don't think I'll need to complete I-89 until I am called upon for an interview or when my petition has been approved. Is this correct?

3. Is it correct to assume that I am back "in-status" since INS is reviewing my I-485 application? I was on H1-B and then got laid off in August 2002. My visa/I-94 won't expire until 2004 though.

If anyone have the answer to my questions, please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

-Missie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I-89 is the signature and one finger print card

You are right. INS Loacl Center will complete this form on your date of interview. You can have it completed earlier if want to. It will just sit in your file until approved. This is what happened to me. Good Luck!

One Important Thing!

Check the spelling and the way your name appears on I-89. This is important that your name appears in FULL. INS agents usually omits your middle Name as not important. INS has recently issued regulations to have FULL middle name not initials included in ALL forms. Check that your FULL middle name, if any is included.

Mine was not.

So, I had to fill out I-90 to just include middle name and you know what, it takes 18 months at VSC to get your plastic card back.

I would say its worth the trip to have it completed ahead of time.