what is exactly the I-94?

ric2

Registered Users (C)
Hi, gurus,

As all we know that I-94 is a required document for stamping. What exactly is it? I have an I-94 card when I first entered the country and then I saw an I-94 section in each of two H-1Bs. However, I have never used my HIB for traveling.

Should I bring my H1B notices also?

Thanks,

ric2

Legal entry document

The I-94 is the card that is attached to your passport at the port of entry. It is a document that gives you a temporary immigrant number, and also is a proof that you entered the country legally.

take all

The latest and greatest valid(I mean, not expired one!) I-94 should be fine but you could carry all three just in-case. For some people, the I-94 on the passport might have been expired and they may have renewed their H-1B, they should provide the latest I-94 which comes along with the H-1B Approval notice.

Thanks!

Thanks, rupnet485. My I94 in passport is D/S which is open-ended. I came here as F-1 student.

Could any fellow friend who already did passport stamping give an advice??

thanks in advance.

Re: Legal entry document

Originally posted by Phas Gaya
The I-94 is the card that is attached to your passport at the port of entry. It is a document that gives you a temporary immigrant number, and also is a proof that you entered the country legally.

Phas Gaya/ric2:

An I-94 is not a document for legal entry. It is a document that allows you to stay in the US. The visa stamp in your passport along with your approved petition (F1, H1, etc.) constitutes a legal entry document. Hope that clears any misconceptions you may have.

OK now I'm confused about I-94.

My I-94 and H1(6 year) expired already. Before the expiration I submitted the 485 application and got the EAD. My case was approved and I'm planning to go for passport stamping next week.

what's I-94 in my case? The original I-94 that was attached to the passport at the last POE or the second H1B paper?

Thanks
fizk