What if I (inadvertently) miss the oath ceremony?

malgudi

Registered Users (C)
I will be on an extended business trip for the next 6 weeks. What options do I have if the oath ceremony is scheduled during my absence and I find this out only after my return :confused:

malgudi said:
I will be on an extended business trip for the next 6 weeks. What options do I have if the oath ceremony is scheduled during my absence and I find this out only after my return :confused:

if you found out you missed the oath ceremony after you returned back to US, i *believe* your citizenship process would be terminated. not sure it means to your citizneship application will be denied. the best way is to have someone watch out your mail and notify you right the way.

usually they might mail out the notice 2 weeks in advance, but i received the notice of the oath a week (and someone received few days) before the oath happened.

you'll have an option to re-schedule your oath. Mail the original oath notice to your DO and also write your reason for your request scheduling. they will send you another notice, dont know how long it will take but the best thing is dont miss your schedule because you dont know what gonna happen next.!

abs49080 said:
you'll have an option to re-schedule your oath. Mail the original oath notice to your DO and also write your reason for your request scheduling.

only if he could catch the notice before the oath ceremony and mail back the notice for rescheduling.

Remember you will not be a citizen until the oath has been completed. Make sure someone is watching the oath letter in the mail and inform you ASAP. I have heard of a case where a similar situation occured and the local DO was quick to declare that the application was abandoned, and denied the application. The poor guy kept on writing and pleading to USICS, but they didn't budge. He ended up loosing all the time and money, and had to apply again. So be careful, when you take chances with USCIS.

ocworker said:
only if he could catch the notice before the oath ceremony and mail back the notice for rescheduling.

Not true. In most DOs, the case will the continued until the next oath ceremony. You still need to request an appointment letter for it though.

Sand Diego said:
Not true. In most DOs, the case will the continued until the next oath ceremony. You still need to request an appointment letter for it though.

are you saying if he does not mail back the notice for rescheduling, his case would still go on till next oath ceremony?

and what exactly which part i said was not true?

ocworker said:
are you saying if he does not mail back the notice for rescheduling, his case would still go on till next oath ceremony?

and what exactly which part i said was not true?

Yes, if the ceremony is done by a court (as most are), the INS will formally request that the naturalization for those not present to be continued, not dismissed.

I read too much on your answer. You were right that the notice has to be sent well in adnave if one mails it back for rescheduling. My point is that even aftre the ceremony, one can get it rescheduled -- not that I would recommend it. In any case, please disregard my "not true".

but the link does not say what if the person does not return the notice to reschedule the oath.

nevermind....

I missed my ceremony I did not receive the note because I changed address but I already requested are they gonna reschedule for me or not

I missed my ceremony I did not receive the note because I changed address but I already requested are they gonna reschedule for me or not
Better off creating a diff thread. This one is pretty old and im sure a few things have changed in the last 14 years in regards to USCIS!!