What happens if a GC is lost while abroad?

baikal3

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone here know what happens if a GC is lost or stolen while a P.R. are travelling abroad?

As I understand it, a U.S. consulate abroad can issue some sort of a temorary document allowing reentry. Is this correct? If yes, exactly what kind of a document is it? And what kind of proof will they want that one does have an LPR status?

That's correct.

You will be issued a temporary travel permit/visa, usually valid for six months and that will allow you to enter US.

You can submit copy of I-485 approval, copy of GC or copy of passport with 551 stamp as a proof. Just call/visit US consulate in your area and they will tell exactly what to do in this scenario.

baikal3 said:
Does anyone here know what happens if a GC is lost or stolen while a P.R. are travelling abroad?

As I understand it, a U.S. consulate abroad can issue some sort of a temorary document allowing reentry. Is this correct? If yes, exactly what kind of a document is it? And what kind of proof will they want that one does have an LPR status?

usnycus said:
That's correct.

You will be issued a temporary travel permit/visa, usually valid for six months and that will allow you to enter US.

You can submit copy of I-485 approval, copy of GC or copy of passport with 551 stamp as a proof. Just call/visit US consulate in your area and they will tell exactly what to do in this scenario.

OK, thanks a lot for the info!

I haven't lost my green card yet -:), but I'll be doing quite a bit of travelling in Europe in the Spring-Summer 06 and I want to be prepared in case something like that does happen.

get a color photocopy (high resolution) of ur gc both sides.
if possible scan it and take a memory stick with you. (u know the one witht he key chain)
u can also store other info in there -
like emergency contact numbers , ur insurance nubers, medical conditions even ur (updated)will. just in case soemthing happens to you.
since ur a careful person - iam saying this. :p

u can mention my name in ur will along with some $$ for giving this idea :D :D :D

p.s: have a good trip.