What exactly is a "Name Check"

isitasham

Registered Users (C)
There are several references to Name Check in these forums. What exactly does it mean and what is the relationship between a common name and the processing time it will take to clear your case. I have following questions:

1. Are they taking the beneficiaries name and comparing it to similar names of individuals already in the US? or is it comparing beneficiaries name with a database of all similar names regardless of where they reside (India or else where)?

2. What happens if there is a hit (name matches) -- what does it tell them? There are people with similar names all over the world. Do they then try to differenciate the individuals based on other criteria such as Date-of-birth, parents name, address etc.?

3. I ran a quick online search for my fiancees name on a phone book/white pages and came up with 19 matches -- this is 19 persons with the same name who are listed in the white pages. There could be others who are not listed. So does that mean my fiancee's 221(g) AP case could take for ever to go through? I heard on one of these forums that a large part of this name matching process may be done manually.......is that so?

4. Does anyone have any sense of a relationship/measure between commonality of a name and number of days to clear AP? e.g. very common name = 6 months AP; or 19 hits of similar names = 6 months of AP. May be not as precise but some general sense?

5. Is the consulate suppose to let the beneficiary know whether it is a case of name check or are we suppoe to keep guessing?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!