What documents for oath ceremony?

krishna43

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I had our interviews last week and are scheduled to appear for oath on 24 October. In the paper they gave to us, some documents like reentry docs etc were listed. We came on family-sponsored green card and have never stayed abroad for more than 2 months at a time.
In addition to the green card (which we would be surrendering) and the Indian passport (is it required?) what other documents should we carry?
We plan to go to the Social Security office nearby to update the status - should we carry our SSN cards as well?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If I can recall I think that's all you'll need. Definatly bring your old SS card if you have it, not sure if you definatly need it, but I recall I think I forgot mine and was still fine when I got Social Security changed over. Mainly you'll just need to have some form of ID and your Naturalization Cert that you get after the oath.

You really don't need to bring a lot if I remember so you sound like you have everything as it is...

If you're planning to go to the social security office right away after the ceremony then take your social security card, but you won't need it for the oath. Furthermore, remember to sign your naturalization certificate with the same signature you used on the pictures. The advantage is that the photo is affixed to the certificate so you can see exactly how you signed.

My 2 cents.

If I can recall I think that's all you'll need. Definatly bring your old SS card if you have it, not sure if you definatly need it, but I recall I think I forgot mine and was still fine when I got Social Security changed over. Mainly you'll just need to have some form of ID and your Naturalization Cert that you get after the oath.

You really don't need to bring a lot if I remember so you sound like you have everything as it is...

Can you tell me the reason you would need to go to SSA? Is it because your SS card may have the wording "Valid with INS Approval" or something to that effect or do you have to go there and let them know you are now a US citizen?? Thank you.

Can you tell me the reason you would need to go to SSA? Is it because your SS card may have the wording "Valid with INS Approval" or something to that effect or do you have to go there and let them know you are now a US citizen?? Thank you.

Thats one of the reasons. The other is you need to inform SSA you are now a citizen because it affects your future benefits, as well data made available to the IRS & other govt agencies.

Is there any need to carry the Indian passport to the oath ceremony? As I understand only GC, oath letter for the oath and possibly SSN for the Social Security office.
We copy the same signatures from the photos on the forms they give us at the oath. When we apply for the U.S passport can we revert back to our old signatures (which is existing in the bank accounts, employment, DL etc)?
Or do we have to stick with this long signature for the passport as well?

Refer to my thread 17 Oct. The oath is on 14 Nov. As someone pointed out, do they allow us to put two signatures- one long and one for passport purposes- on the Naturalization Certificate?
Thanks for any response

We copy the same signatures from the photos on the forms they give us at the oath. When we apply for the U.S passport can we revert back to our old signatures (which is existing in the bank accounts, employment, DL etc)?
Or do we have to stick with this long signature for the passport as well?

You can use your normal signature on your passport application. I was concerned about that too as my naturalization certificate had my name in block letters, but when I went to apply for my passport, the guy that took my application told me to sign the application form as I normally sign it. I didn't need to use block letters