What do I need to bring to Oath Ceremony

Irishalien

Registered Users (C)
I know I need to bring my Irish passport, my green card and the Oath Ceremony letter. Do I need to bring pictures of myself, like the ones you use to get a passport? Can someone please help me out. (My oath is on Monday)

You do not need to take photographs. They will use the one provided during N400 for putting it on naturalization certificate.

Irishalien said:
I know I need to bring my Irish passport, my green card and the Oath Ceremony letter. Do I need to bring pictures of myself, like the ones you use to get a passport? Can someone please help me out. (My oath is on Monday)

why would you need ot bring your Irish passport? I did not bring my British Passport.

I only brought my green card, and the oath letter. As the other documents listed in the oath letter, besides of green card and the oath letter itself, none of them were applicable to me.

I, for whatever reason, thought I needed to hand in my Irish passport, along with my Green Card. Thanks for the knowledge though.

Irishalien said:
I, for whatever reason, thought I needed to hand in my Irish passport, along with my Green Card. Thanks for the knowledge though.

Absolutely not. You are still an Irish citizen and will remain one even after you become a US citizen. Taking the US oath (and renouncing foreign allegiances) is not recognized by Ireland (or most other countries either) as an act of renunciation of your Irish citizenship.

I will also become a US citizen on Monday (Jan 30th). I will then hold 4 citizenships (UK, Ireland, Canada, and US).

This is a good web site if you're interested in reading about dual (or multiple) citizenship issues:
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Congrats on becoming a US citizen!

Ned

Last edited by a moderator:
I would bring passport

I had my interview & oath yesterday in Atlanta. The officer did ask to see my passport, along with my driver's license and my green card (which she kept). My naturalization was marriage based but she didn't want to see any of the big stack of papers I had brough in as evidence.

vyshnya said:
I had my interview & oath yesterday in Atlanta. The officer did ask to see my passport, along with my driver's license and my green card (which she kept). My naturalization was marriage based but she didn't want to see any of the big stack of papers I had brough in as evidence.

Yes - doesn't hurt to bring a passport and/or driver's license for ID purposes. The oath letter tells you what you must bring - but it doesn't mention a passport.

Ned Kelly said:
I will then hold 4 citizenships (UK, Ireland, Canada, and US).

Ned

You got to be kidding! You are collecting citizenships like credit cards :)) You can probably call yourself a global citizen.

harry2005 said:
You got to be kidding! You are collecting citizenships like credit cards :)) You can probably call yourself a global citizen.

Not kidding. I was a dual citizen at birth. I was born in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK - therefore I am a UK citizen. Anyone born on the island of Ireland (which comprises Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland) is also considered an Irish citizen (i.e. a citizen of the Republic of Ireland). Later I lived in Canada and naturalized there. On Monday, I become a naturalized US citizen. I'm sure holding 4 is nowhere near a record.

what to take to oath ceremony

Besides the green card and filled out form the oath letter asks me to bring reentry permit aor refugee travel document and any immigration document that I may have. Both these boxes are ticked.

I dont have any reentry permits or refugee travel documents. Also, what do they mean by any immigration documents that I have (the GC is already a seperate box) on the form.

Vijay

v_nr2000 said:
Besides the green card and filled out form the oath letter asks me to bring reentry permit aor refugee travel document and any immigration document that I may have. Both these boxes are ticked.

I dont have any reentry permits or refugee travel documents. Also, what do they mean by any immigration documents that I have (the GC is already a seperate box) on the form.

Vijay

I wondered that too. I just brought my oath letter and green card when I was sworn in yesterday. If you can't think of anything, you probably don't have anything they would be interested in.

Ned