What after the 2 year requirement ?

and let's say i'll put that aside (the DVlottery), what can I do to get a waiver, should I apply for the National Interest waiver based on my abilities ? or what ?

any recommendations, advice ??

thanks a lot in advance!

dont put it aside, i'll still work on obtaining a waiver and at the same time process the immigrant visa (lottery) at the same time.

bhoray said:
dont put it aside, i'll still work on obtaining a waiver and at the same time process the immigrant visa (lottery) at the same time.

excuse me , what do you mean ?

> excuse me , what do you mean ?

Apply for a J1 visa waiver NOW hoping that it will go through before your filing period for the lottery green-card expires. There is a slim chance that you could still file for an immigrant visa if the waiver goes through in time.

Who financed your J1 employment ?
Is your job on the 'skills list' ?
What category was it in ?

my J1 is fully financed by the US department of state
my future job is in the skills list
i guess it was in the political analyst and "translator" categories

In that case, you will be fine, especially if one of the languages you know is Arabic. I doubt that Fulbright will issue a positive statement to your request for a waiver if you apply right now. You have 2 years of study + OPT (usually 18 months for 9 months of study, I do not know if in your case that time will double.)

While studying, start networking with the appropriate government agencies, find one that will write you a support letter for "Interest government agency" waiver and you will get your H1b/GC when the time comes.

GC lottery is an easy way, but your experience will be invaluable once you complete Fulbright.

yeah; Arabic is my native language; but nemu, can you please tell me what i can do in detail ?

I speak 5 languages, and i'm majoring in International studies!
what are the government agencies that can be helpful in terms of the interest government agency support letter ?
thank you so Much !

I can not give you any specifics, because that is not my area of "expertise." But US is in a desperate need for people like you. So be a good student, get involved in any research projects your university's Faculty are engaged in and if you are successful as a student/researcher you will find ways to get a waiver. If your current program is Master’s, you always have an option of obtaining PhD afterwards and with that, there will be more experience, more networking, more chances to succeed. In ay case, 2 year home residency requirement is not a big deal, afterwards you can always come back to US provided you successfully complete your Fulbright program. Unless you already have government interested agency willing to write a letter for you, I would not even try to obtain a waiver right now. You will have little to say why obtaining a waiver is more beneficial to Fulbright goals then you coming back home.

See this quote
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1294.html

What is the reason most applications are denied?
A. Applications are denied because the reasons given for requesting the waiver do not outweigh the program and foreign policy considerations of the exchange visitor program. For this reason, "no objection" applications in Fulbright/USAID funded programs are generally denied.

Also, on the same page I believe there is a link to IGA list. Investigate them and find a way to get involved with their research projects/programs etc.

Good luck.