What’s fastest: Status change fr B2 to J2 in US, or apply for J2 from outside US. Thoughts please!

Fif1

Hi All,

My fiancé who is on the J1 visa has now started his job in the US and we’re thinking about fastest route for me to join him after our wedding this summer and (eventually) get work permit under J2:

1. I'm yet to join him in the US, should I visit him on B2, stay for about 3 months then apply for the J2 after we get married in Italy this summer?

1a. In this case, is it better to apply for J2 from outside or within the US after I return to the US on a valid B2, post wedding?

OR

2. Should I join him in the US under the visa waiver programme as a tourist for 3 months, we get married in Italy this summer and I apply for J2 from outside the US? In this case I guess I’d only return to the US after getting the J2.

Please can anyone comment on which of 1 and 2 could be smoother and facilitate fastest entry as J2 holder?

I hear that getting J2 work permit takes long, anyone have any experience as to how long? Will it be affected by my choice of 1 or 2 above?

Th
If you want to be together, plan 1 seems better.
I-765 usually takes 3 months.
A
If you want to be together, plan 1 seems better.
I-765 usually takes 3 months.
Thanks! We want the most convenient way to be under the same roof until his contract is up and we leave. That may mean delaying being together for the benefit of a more straight forward immigration process. Is B2 to J2 status change lengthier than a J2 application? Can this status change be done in US or it requires me to leave the country (which could coincide with our wedding in Italy)?