Were you inspected by US immigration officer? Part 3 of I-485 form.

dfobox

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Quick question, what exactly does that mean - "were you inspected by US immigration officer?"

I talked to a guy who checked my passport in the airport after the long line. He asked me a couple of questions and gave me an I94, just like anybody else who didn't have american passport. Does that mean I answer yes, or do they mean some other kind of inspection?

Thank you.

Yes, you were inspected. If you presented yourself through a normal border crossing, you were inspected. The only way you could "not be inspected" is if you climbed across the border or snuck in in someone's trunk or something.

Similarly, if the border officer stamped your passport when they let you in, that means you were inspected, although you don't need to have your passport stamped in order to have been been inspected.

Inspected basically means that an alien entered the United States legally after being admitted by an officer. Aliens who sneak into the United States by crossing the border at a point other than a checkpoint are considered as EWI or entry without inspection. Generally speaking, EWI immigrants are unable to adjust their status in the US and have to return to their native country for consular processing.