Welcome letter

gvaknin

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Our I-485 was approved 12/15 and we got our passports stamped on 12/28. Do you know when would the "welcome" letter arrive? does it come with the card? before the card? BTW, my LUD did not change since approval. I am assuming because of holidays?

gvaknin said:
Hi All,

Our I-485 was approved 12/15 and we got our passports stamped on 12/28. Do you know when would the "welcome" letter arrive? does it come with the card? before the card? BTW, my LUD did not change since approval. I am assuming because of holidays?

I don't remmeber I ever got a welcome letter
unless it was that letter with physical GC arrival.
Maybe a welcome letter is only for CP folks.

Hi,

After the successful interview of my AOS I straight away received the physical green card.I neither received any approval letter nor my passport got stamped(551 stamp) but i do received my 10yrs plastic card in the mail.

Hey joef i'd like to ask you a question hope you'd clarify.When would an indivudial gets his GC? IS IT ONLY AFTER THE APPROVAL OF BOTH I-130 AND I-485? OR JUST I-485 APPROVAL?

Your clarification'd highly be appreciated.

devss

JoeF said:
Nope. This is a fairly recent development. Nowadays pretty much everybody gets a welcome letter. Not that it really matters much, but it is a try by CIS to appear more friendly.
It usually shows up before the card.

What does the welcome say? Does it remind the new immigrant
to report address change and carry the GC?

JoeF said:
Don't ask me, I didn't get one back in 2000...
If I remember right, there have been posts here from people who got the letter. It is basically just "Welcome to the US, bla bla, your rights and obligations as a Permanent Resident bla bla..."

Then it sounds similar to a page at USCIS site
that exactly say it is not required to carry the
GC. If it does say so, it is important to keep
a copy and use it as your defense if you
are charged with not carrying the
GC

OK, I am confused....It is my understanding that we do not need to carry it around (it being the green card). so do we or don't we?

gvaknin said:
OK, I am confused....It is my understanding that we do not need to carry it around (it being the green card). so do we or don't we?

The law (INA 264 aka 8 USC 1305) requires you to carry it around.
Failure to do so is a misdemeanor and is punishable by fine up to
$100 and jail time up to one month.

But the USCIS website says you don't have to carry it
as long as you can present it within "reasonable" amount
of time when requested by federal law enforcement
personell.

thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking that In that case, even a copy in my pocket won't do....none of my friends carry it, and none of them intends to start doing it. In their view, if you keep the law, nobody should ask you for the card.

gvaknin said:
thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking that In that case, even a copy in my pocket won't do....none of my friends carry it, and none of them intends to start doing it. In their view, if you keep the law, nobody should ask you for the card.

That depends on where you live. If you live in an area
where checkpoint is often set up to examine people's
immigration status, then you will be asked
for teh card for no reason.

gvaknin said:

See more details on CIS website.http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm.

It clearly says that "While that does not require that you have on your person at all times, it does require that you have a currently valid card and that you know where it is and can show it to an immigration officer, if requested".

I beleive CIS interpretation than some layman's extreme views. :D :D Though I kind of agrees with your friends logic, but I still carries proof of GC like photocopy of GC/approved 485 notice in my office as well as CAR.

qwerty987666 said:

It clearly says that "While that does not require that you have on your person at all times, it does require that you have a currently valid card and that you know where it is and can show it to an immigration officer, if requested".

If you leave the GC at home and go to a supermarket and if
an immigration officer at the supermarket request to see it,
can you say you "can show it"?

AmericanWannabe said:
If you leave the GC at home and go to a supermarket and if
an immigration officer at the supermarket request to see it,
can you say you "can show it"?

Yes absolutely, Get a copy from your CAR.

I see. So maybe it does make sense to make a copy and present it if asked by an officer. I hope he/she will accept the copy.
JoeF, all I'm trying to do as a new immigrant is the right thing and not to get in trouble. I live and work in MI, and for the past 7 years, since i came to the US, I was never asked to present my ID just for the sake of it.
Thanks all for responding and clarifying.

Welcome letter only comes for children under 16. Others will not receive. The welcome letter for children comes along with approval notice for them. Sometimes card also comes directly.

Do not worry about the letter.

Good luck & Congrates

BommiDP said:
Welcome letter only comes for children under 16. Others will not receive. The welcome letter for children comes along with approval notice for them. Sometimes card also comes directly.

Do not worry about the letter.

Good luck & Congrates

I did receive a welcome letter. I am anything but under 16:)
That said, I did CP in Sydney and entered as an immigrant and got card in 15 days or so and the welcome letter a day earlier.

JoeF said:
Grumbling

CIS website posts information based on LAWS only. Incidently CIS don't employ morons like JoeF.
My advice is only to sensible minds, morons like JoeF has to carry GC ,tatoo Alien No on forehead and complete GC image on his A**. Also if immigration officer asks, JoeF has to prove thats its his image as burdon of proof is on JoeF... RIGHT :D :D JoeF, you have to follow it in this way, thats it. End of story.

For others

I beleive CIS interpretation than some layman's extreme views. Though I kind of agrees with your friends logic, but I still carries proof of GC like photocopy of GC/approved 485 notice in my office as well as CAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
he advocates breaking ....blah blah,

If there is anything BREAKING here, thats your head moron :D :D .

My advice to You, JoeF
You have to carry GC ,tatoo Alien No on forehead and complete GC image on your A**. Also if immigration officer asks, JoeF has to prove thats its his image as burdon of proof is on JoeF... RIGHT :D :D .JoeF, you have to follow it in this way, thats it. End of story

READ my comments to all other members.

I beleive CIS interpretation than some layman's extreme views. Though I kind of agrees with your friends logic, but I still carries proof of GC like photocopy of GC/approved 485 notice in my office as well as CAR.

JoeF said:
More grumbling...as usual.

No reason to get MAD(as you already are). Just follow my advice exclusively for you and CIS may spare your madness.

Read again

JoeF,You have to carry GC ,tatoo Alien No on forehead and complete GC image on your A**. Also if immigration officer asks, JoeF has to prove thats its his image as burdon of proof is on JoeF... RIGHT :D :D .JoeF, you have to follow it in this way, thats it. End of story.

READ my comments to all other members.

qwerty987666 said:

It may only mean you don't have to have the card on you
when you take out your trash or go to mail box to get mails
or take a short walk outside your house. But when you
even drive to nearby durg store, you have to carry it
because if you are asked by an IO for it at the drug store,
you can not show it if you leave it at home.