We just had our interview in Manhattan.

sandybell13

We just had our I-485 interview for husband's green card, everything went very well, we got a very nice interviewer!
We were however surprised at the end that he said he has 180 days to make his decision, and that we will get something in the mail. We got a piece of paper that had 3 options, the one checked was "your case is being held for review. At this time USCIS doesn't not require any further information or documents from you. Should further information or documents be required, you will receive a notice in the mail. We may also schedule you for another interview, you will receive a notice in the mail. Otherwise, a final decision will be mailed once your case is complete". The other options on the piece of paper would have been that the priority date is not current at this time or that the case is being transferred to the USCIS office servicing the new address.
The officer said that he has 120 to make the decision in order to do some background checks. Is this common now under the new administration? What is people's experience, how long is usually the wait?

P.s. I think I know we are delayed. Unfortunately my husband couldn't find his passport last night (we had just copies) and I couldn't find my naturalization certificate, I only had my US passport. A lawyer just told me that it's because they have to verify that I'm truly a US citizen and also that he entered the country legally.

Anyone knows how long this usually takes???

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an update:
We did receive an email yesterday a few hours later that our case was approved and that the green card is in production!
Happy beyond words!! :D

Just wanted to give an update:
We did receive an email yesterday a few hours later that our case was approved and that the green card is in production!
Happy beyond words!! :D

Congrats on the approval of your husband. I'm sure he must be very happy with that email notice :)

We just had our I-485 interview for husband's green card, everything went very well, we got a very nice interviewer!
We were however surprised at the end that he said he has 180 days to make his decision, and that we will get something in the mail. We got a piece of paper that had 3 options, the one checked was "your case is being held for review. At this time USCIS doesn't not require any further information or documents from you. Should further information or documents be required, you will receive a notice in the mail. We may also schedule you for another interview, you will receive a notice in the mail. Otherwise, a final decision will be mailed once your case is complete". The other options on the piece of paper would have been that the priority date is not current at this time or that the case is being transferred to the USCIS office servicing the new address.
The officer said that he has 120 to make the decision in order to do some background checks. Is this common now under the new administration? What is people's experience, how long is usually the wait?

P.s. I think I know we are delayed. Unfortunately my husband couldn't find his passport last night (we had just copies) and I couldn't find my naturalization certificate, I only had my US passport. A lawyer just told me that it's because they have to verify that I'm truly a US citizen and also that he entered the country legally.

Anyone knows how long this usually takes???

when did you file i-485 if you don't mind? i'm in nyc too.