We don't know what to do, pls help!!!!

Kuku11

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody. I need your opinion. Please can you write your advise. We as a family legally moved to the USA last year. As we had enough time before our visa expires we decided to see different attorneys to choose better one to apply on asylum. Honestly they just took our money no reasonable help, just basic info. We decided to move to Houston, as we were told there are more experienced attorneys on this case. Finally after searching we found an attorney and filed our papers. We had very weirddddd interview. On the interview date we were told that AO has not come to work we have been transfered to another officer. of course he was not familiar with our case, he took our application and got prepared about an hour. Later on he called my husband ( principal) to be interview. I had to wait. Interview took 1 hour 45 minutes. when they left I thought it was my turn, but he did not ask me to go with him, answer questions, AO told me that he got all answers which he needed, no need to ask anything from me, even our attorney told him that I was intended to speak. It did not work. AO was young between 25-30 years old and was very polite. we were very suprised when he handed us a paper asking to come back in a week to pick the decision. Attorney told everything went well, my husband did great job. After a week we picked our reply we refered to IJ.:(((( All problems started. We had very big hope that he is gonna change our life.((( We don't have place to stay. All these 7 months we were renting house, we have a baby, family expenses and attorney fee ( monthly payment). We don't work, and we spent all our money and started borrowing money from relatives, hoping that we will start to work and settle our life. We have to go back to IJ but we don't have money to pay the attorney even to live later.We don't know what to do. We left our better paid jobs in our country, left our house,families because of fear, nowwwww by the end of month we can be in the street with the baby. Who knows how is gonna be court, and when he will decide to approve or reject. How to leave later. we can't sleep at nights. Sometimes my heart breaks so bad we just wanna pack and leave. I know it is so scary to return back, but I can't let my baby suffer from hunger in front of my eyes here. Please tell me what you are thinking? It seams we are in a boat don't know where to sail. Thanks in advance for reply.

HI everybody again. I noticed that some people have already read my story but no comments. Please we really need to hear what you are saying, because probably you had hard time too, I don't believe that everything is so easy with asylum. Maybe some of you have got any ideas. By the way, who knows good pro-bono immigration attorneys in Houston?

HI everybody again. I noticed that some people have already read my story but no comments. Please we really need to hear what you are saying, because probably you had hard time too, I don't believe that everything is so easy with asylum. Maybe some of you have got any ideas. By the way, who knows good pro-bono immigration attorneys in Houston?

Kuku11, Asylum cases are not very easy rather complex cases. It's simply impossible to guess or predict what would be the outcome of your case from the IJ at your hearing in court. But don't be upset cause you were reffered to IJ by the asylum officer cause that's very normal. I'd say most asylum cases are granted by the IJ than asylum officers.
I'm sorry to hear about your financial hardship but it's a must you have to have an attorney to represent you in court in your hearing. By saying this I mean not only an attorney but a good qualified one cause a slizzy one could ruin your case even though you have a good case merit.
I don't know how the asylum process works now but back in 1993 when I applied I was given EAD card ( Which I had to renew each year) & I worked hard to pay for all my expenses along with the attorney fees. Good thing was my attorney did go through a payment plan therefore I paid her slowly. But the attorney's condition was the day she will represent me in court all balance needs to be paid in full or else she would refuse to join me in court.
Anyway just be honest & truthful infront of the judge. Difference between IJ & asylum officer is you have more explanations opportunity in court which is limited infront of asylum officer. So take that advantage. Hope you have a good understanding IJ along with a big hearted DA (attorney of immigration side) & you win your asylum case.
Good luck.
Atique.

Kuku11, Asylum cases are not very easy rather complex cases. It's simply impossible to guess or predict what would be the outcome of your case from the IJ at your hearing in court. But don't be upset cause you were reffered to IJ by the asylum officer cause that's very normal. I'd say most asylum cases are granted by the IJ than asylum officers.
I'm sorry to hear about your financial hardship but it's a must you have to have an attorney to represent you in court in your hearing. By saying this I mean not only an attorney but a good qualified one cause a slizzy one could ruin your case even though you have a good case merit.
I don't know how the asylum process works now but back in 1993 when I applied I was given EAD card ( Which I had to renew each year) & I worked hard to pay for all my expenses along with the attorney fees. Good thing was my attorney did go through a payment plan therefore I paid her slowly. But the attorney's condition was the day she will represent me in court all balance needs to be paid in full or else she would refuse to join me in court.
Anyway just be honest & truthful infront of the judge. Difference between IJ & asylum officer is you have more explanations opportunity in court which is limited infront of asylum officer. So take that advantage. Hope you have a good understanding IJ along with a big hearted DA (attorney of immigration side) & you win your asylum case.
Good luck.
Atique.

Thank you so much Atique. I am glad that at least 1 person replied me. We are going to meet our attorney on Tuesday. When we picked our reply from AO. They gave me a paper showing 3 pro-bono attorneys, they may charge nominal fee. Maybe someone had already axperience. Are they good ones? Can we trust our case to them?
Yes, Atique, because of our financial problem he split that amount into 6 months. We are still paying hardly as you know we can't work, visa also expired. :( I am sure he will charge us becuase of court. That scares us very bad that if we agree that amount, and will get reject, what is gonna happen later? How will we be able to pay him?
Also we tried to get pandry food from churche, they denied us that you have to be 1 member of the church. I have 1 opinoin that I can sell my wedding band at pawn shop to feed the baby. I hate that but no way. Every time when I pray God I can't stop crying. Life is so cruel. Please dear people here, pray for my family.

If your case is pending for 150 days or more, then you can apply for EAD(C8)(i). The processing time for EAD(C08)(i) is one month. With EAD, you can get a job. In the US, you can still survive if you get a job that pays the minimum wage.

Did you apply for EAD?

Sorry to hear of your plight. Hope it gets better soon. It is impossible to give you advise because you have not given the reason for your denial. All we know was that your case was denied.

Sorry to hear of your plight. Hope it gets better soon. It is impossible to give you advise because you have not given the reason for your denial. All we know was that your case was denied.

Hi Assylum and Mesbahul,

I know about EAD, we can apply after 9th of OCtober, it will take 30 days, later 2 weeks for SS card, probably we will be able to work in December, 6 months from now.:(((((((
In referal latter to IJ it was written that " Your presented testimony that was inconsistent regarding the timing of empoyment in your country. The circumstances surronding some of your problems with the police and your exit from the country also raise questions about the harm you suffered. " That is all. The attorney told that that is not good explanation, usually they write 7-8 pages.
We are so upset because AO never asked my husband how we were able to leave the country. AO just made his opinion that it raises questions, even he called it "some problems" :(((
About the employment. AO pulled the application form which we filled in our country to get visitor visa. My husband could not put in that application that he was fired and at the time he is unemployed. In that case he would never get visa to the USA and that is the only visa type except student visas which you can get. My husband explained it but it seems that he was not satisfied with the reply.
Also why didn;t he call me to the interview as family member? even in uscis website it is written that family members must be interviewed. He just told me there is no need ask anything, he got all answers.
Please can you tell me your opinion about it? I need your advise.

Also do you know about pro-bono attorneys? how are they? can we trust? are they advisable.

Thank you

Don't worry. You will get a better chance to explain your situation to the judge. A lot of asylees in this forum got approved by the judge. You will get approved if your case is strong and you have a good faith. Find an attorney that will take flexible payments plan. A lot of them do that. If you have a very bad financial situation and can't feed your kid anymore, ask your church for help. People at the church will help you if they know your stituation and I am sure they will do something. I will keep you in prayer.

Reading closely, I can forsee a problem. You intentionally provided false information so that you could obtain a visa. That is considered fraud which could be a problem going forward and I think that was one of the reason your petition got denied. The second reason, your petition was not successful was because you did not provide credible evidence about your past persecution. What kind of evidence did you submit with your petition?

Reading closely, I can forsee a problem. You intentionally provided false information so that you could obtain a visa. That is considered fraud which could be a problem going forward and I think that was one of the reason your petition got denied. The second reason, your petition was not successful was because you did not provide credible evidence about your past persecution. What kind of evidence did you submit with your petition?

Thank you Assylum for your prayer which we really need.
Mesbahul, I had 4 evidence letters which was from my dad, father-in-law, 1 of the members of that party which my husband was involved, and last evidence letter was from US Citizen which was in my country at the moment, he saw how was terrible situation we had so helped us leave the country. hE is back to USA, even he showed in his letter that he is anytime ready to come to meet them like witness. Yesterday we talked to our attorney, he told that he was very satisfied with the answers of my husband in the interview. At the court he doesn't see any problems not to win.

Thank you Assylum for your prayer which we really need.
Mesbahul, I had 4 evidence letters which was from my dad, father-in-law, 1 of the members of that party which my husband was involved, and last evidence letter was from US Citizen which was in my country at the moment, he saw how was terrible situation we had so helped us leave the country. hE is back to USA, even he showed in his letter that he is anytime ready to come to meet them like witness. Yesterday we talked to our attorney, he told that he was very satisfied with the answers of my husband in the interview. At the court he doesn't see any problems not to win.

You need more credible evidence than just the four letters from personal acquaintances. You need to get the Human Rights report of your country from the State Dept. It is available online and it is free. If the report supports your claim then your case becomes a little bit stronger. Try and get newspaper articles that support your claim. It does not have to be articles involving you. You have to remember that the burden of proof is on you. The information and the proof you provide to support your information is the basis of the decision. Take as much evidence and witnesses you have to court. Immigration Court is a different ball game. The Judge hears from both sides and makes a decision. You and your attorney better be on your game. Be ready to object claims made by DHS attorney where needed.

i have interview tomorrow

hey guys,
tomorrow is my interview befor AO, lets see what happens, i belong one of the most persecuted religious minorities let see what happens, this thread was helpful, i will post you guys 2 morrow on how interview went, past 6 mony i have been in US they have been very tough, having nothing still surviving

i had my interview today, the officer was very nice, she asked me why i was seeking asylum, why am i being hated in my country, what will i do after seeking asylum, and a couple of more question, the interview only lasted only 20 min i dont know if its a good or bad, the she told me that the result will come in mail and it can be approval or referal to Imigration court which is not a rejection. and thts it, how does it look guys what do you say, she never even go in details of my case and never asked me dates or details

Hello, Kuku11, I had exactly same asylum interview as you but we were lucky and my asylum was approved in 2 weeks after interview.

Don't be panic, take a deep breath and go for IJ. All the document and evidence must be prepared carefully, I don't think pro-bono attorneys are helpful.

By the way, I am guessing you are from China, right? If you come from china, I bet you have evidence to support your case.

Hello, Kuku11, I had exactly same asylum interview as you but we were lucky and my asylum was approved in 2 weeks after interview.

topgun999,
Do you know that you are the luckiest member in this forum? Your asylum got approved within 2 weeks and your GC got approved within 2 months in TSC. TSC is usually slower than NSC. I am happy for you.

Thank you, assylum. I do believe I am very very lucky, God bless!

topgun999,
Do you know that you are the luckiest member in this forum? Your asylum got approved within 2 weeks and your GC got approved within 2 months in TSC. TSC is usually slower than NSC. I am happy for you.

Hello everybody, I need your advise. our case was refered to IJ on the 12th of July, we went to the court with our attorney on that day and could not find our names on the deck. THey told us they have sent a letter about rescheduling our court date, 11th of July. it means that we missed court date. Honestly we never received anything, still don't know where is that letter.:( We asked to reopen our case and they scheduled a new date 30th of January 2012, are they crazy:(((((((((((((((( We are eligable to apply for EAD after October 9th, but we moved from Houston to TN. We wanted to move our case to TN court but I read in this forum that if we move to different court the clock will stop pand we won't be able to apply for EAD after 9th of October. is that right? We have to wait until we get a new hearing date then the clock will start running. if you know about it pls share it.

Topgan sorry we are not from China.
Guys I also heard from people that it is really difficult to win the case in Houston due to a lot of immigrants, the court is always busy and careful with that. They told maybe we have better chance in TN that TX. What do u think about it? Thanks in advance

by the way i forgot to ask, is that possible to apple for EAD and then to transfer the case to different court ? in that case the clock won't stop or immigration will mess up, our EAD can stuck, I really don't know what to do.:(((

by the way i forgot to ask, is that possible to apple for EAD and then to transfer the case to different court ? in that case the clock won't stop or immigration will mess up, our EAD can stuck, I really don't know what to do.:(((

The clock might stop if you transfer your case to a different court. USCIS can't issue the first EAD (C08)(i) until the clock reaches 180 days. You are eligible to apply after 150 days but the EAD can't be approved before the clock reaches 180 days.