Was your TN to GC process succesfully completed?

curiousGeorge

Registered Users (C)
Just wondering how many people on this forum who were previously in TN Status have successfully obtained a green card.

The point I'm trying to make with this poll is that sooooo many people come in here asking if anyone has done TN to GC, or if anyone has had problems. The answer, I expect, is that very few people if at all any have had problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
strictly responding to the question as phrased, I went from TN -----> GC via DV...does that count?

Yes, since it involved a period of 'immig intent'. The same would be true going from TN to GC thru marriage, or thru spouse EB process.

Well mine was a bit different being on a TN for 7 years and then getting married to a USC. So went TN-GC-Citizenship in a few years using the marriage based route. So probably a much easier process then TN-GC using the work route...

Well mine was a bit different being on a TN for 7 years and then getting married to a USC. So went TN-GC-Citizenship in a few years using the marriage based route. So probably a much easier process then TN-GC using the work route...

That still counts as TN to GC in my opinion

The definition of 'success' in this case is also vague.

Whether one has a TN or not has no impact on GC process success or failure. Losing one's TN doesn't harm the GC process.

What is a true measure of success is whether one was able to maintain continuous work authorization throughout the process.

So, in the poll, really it is

Success = maintained work authorization thru TN to EAD/GC
Unsuccessful: had broken period between TN and EAD/GC
H1: used H1 as a bridge.

I was successful. I was on a TN. I appllied in April 2008 for a green card through marriage and it was approved at my first interview on Sept 30/2008. The only snag was that my work authorization came about two weeks after my TN expired, so I was out of work for approximately two weeks.. But it was a good vacation, LOTSA GOLF!

I was successful. I was on a TN. I appllied in April 2008 for a green card through marriage and it was approved at my first interview on Sept 30/2008. The only snag was that my work authorization came about two weeks after my TN expired, so I was out of work for approximately two weeks.. But it was a good vacation, LOTSA GOLF!

I would say that was a unsuccesful transition.

perhaps you could alert others by giving them a timeline as to when you got married/submitted I-130/ when your TN was set to expire.

Also did you find it tough staying in US for thee entire process.

Mine was successful... so far.

I've been in the US for 13 of the last 14 years and over the years I've obtained 6 different TN's and I've been on an H1b for a total of 8 years. I was voluntarily out of the country for 1 year about 5 years ago, which reset my H1b clock.

The last status I had was a TN and that was after I was married to a USC (we were still deciding what country we'd live in) and finally I filed for my GC. My EAD was approved 2 weeks prior to my TN expiring and now I am just waiting for my GC Interview in 4 weeks.

The only advice I would give - make sure you give yourself plenty of time to receive your EAD based PRIOR to you existing status expiring (whether it's an H1b or TN or something else). I cut mine too close and it almost cost me. I was lucky, but I would not depend on such luck. If I had any RFE's that delayed my EAD I would have been stuck without work authorization. Or if it just took 90 days to get my EAD I would have been stuck. It was my fault that I didn't get it filed on time and I was just lucky.

TN many moons ago

I got my first TN in 07/96 and was content working with that until the Pigeon River point of entry decided that the TN for health care worker was good only for 6 months with the second one at no charge. Back then, dual intent was either ignored or didn't exist for TNs so I started the immigration process. I was in Kansas, so my labor cert took 2 years because there was only one person in Topeka working on them. If I lived in New Jersey, it would have been approved in a month. Once it was approved, I filed the I-140 and after that was approved, the I-485. There was no H1B involved. At the end of the month, I will be applying for citizenship.

--Rafiq

From TN - to GC through marrying a US Citizen, How long is the expected wait time in receiving the EAD?

Yes, from TN->GC was no trouble at all. It helps if you are in an actual marriage. We brought about five pounds of photo albums to the interview, and had a join bank account, bills, etc.

Anybody went from TN to employed based GC successfully recently? The difference between marriage-based and employment based routes is whether the priority date is current or not.

Seriously, get an H1 and move over to the H1 boards.

I would if it were that easy. I tried the H1B lottery twice and failed.
Bear with me, Nelson. I would know better if I could search for your guys' previous discussion. But I can only see two pages in this room.

Thanks for your advice anyway, as always.

I recently successfully went the TN -> GC route (via marriage to USC). I quit my job during the process, but even if I had not, I would have been able to continue working without interruption.

I should note that I did so without a lawyer. Just mostly with the help of this forum :)

No, I don;t even knoe how thos one got pinned, becase it was only pinnned recently, and is of no value. Polls are for dogs.