Waiver for Fulbright J-1 for the reason of hardship (my husband is a US foreign service officer)

jess79

Hi all,
1. My Fulbright-granted J-1 visa is good until June 2011. But due to my special situation (explain later), I'd like to start the process of getting permanent legal residency (greencard). I am wondering if it is okay to start the process of applying waiver while I'm still in my current J-1 term.

2. My situation is that my husband (American) is recently accepted as foreign service officer and might start his overseas duty as early as November this year. My plan is to finish my dissertation proposal by the end of this year so I can join him to his posted country. Then for the remaining of my PhD student time, I'm going to finish my dissertation overseas (it is feasible for my research subject to be done overseas). But my situation of neither US citizenship nor permanent US legal residency is causing me trouble in many ways. First, I cannot travel to some countries with my spouse for security reason. And second, my employment opportunity while staying with my spouse overseas becomes very low. Third, the benefits term is worse. More importantly, 2-yr requirement is even worse for our situation since he cannot choose where to locate at that point.

I really appreciate it if anyone has any tips for my tough and complicated situation.

Best regards